Hanley Castle, Worcestershire Family History Guide

Hanley Castle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Blackmore End, Robertsend, Henley Quay, Hanley Swan, and Gilberts End.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Hanley Castle

Historical Descriptions

Hanley Castle

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Hanley Castle, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Upton-on-Severn Registration District, Worcester. The village stands on the W side of the river Severn, 1½ mile NW of Upton-on-Severn, and 6 W of Defford r. station, and has a post-office under Worcester. The parish includes also the village of Malvern Wells, and the hamlets of Blackmore-End, Hanley-Quay and Gilberts-End. Acres, 5,630. Real property, £14,308. Pop., 1,733. Houses, 367. A castle here, some remains of which exist, belonged to Brietic who refused the hand of Maud, afterwards the wife of William the Conqueror; passed to the Earls of Warwick; was the death-place of Henry-de-Beauchamp; and passed to the Despencers, the Savages, the Arles, the Lechmeres, and the Charltons. Hanley-Castle mansion is now the seat of Thomas Gee, Esq.; Blackmore Park is the seat of John V. Hornyold, Esq.; Rhydd Court is the property of Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart.; and Severn End is the ancient seat of the Lechmere family. Invalids resort to Malvern-Wells; and there is a wharf on the Severn at Hanley-Quay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £650. Patron, Sir E. A. H. Lechmere, Bart. The church is partly decorated English, partly brickwork of 1674; has a tower; was restored in 1858; and has two recent memorial windows. The p. curacy of Malvern-Wells is a separate benefice. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed grammar-school, a national school, and a working-men’s institute. – The sub-district includes five other parishes. Acres, 20,007. Pop., 11,377. Houses, 2,011.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hanley Castle, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Upton-on-Severn, county of Worcester, opposite to Malvern-hills; 1¾ mile north-west of Upton-upon-Severn, and west of the river Severn. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £12 15s.; gross income £650. Patron, in 1835, Sir A. Lechmere, Bart. There are 4 daily schools here, 2 of which are supported by endowment, amounting, in 1829, to £165 9s. 2d. per annum. Other charities. £4 2s. per annum; besides a quantity of coals, wheat, and rye, charged on an estate. Poor rates, in 1838, £760. On an average of 7 years to 1835, 43½ acres of hop-grounds have been annually cultivated in this parish. A castle belonging to the earls of Warwick formerly adorned this place. Malvern-wells, a great resort for invalids, are in this parish. Acres 5,630. Houses 286. A.P. £7.347. Pop., in 1801, 986; in 1831, 1,653.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HANLEY-CASTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Upton-upon-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. division of the county of Worcester, 1¼ mile (N. N. W.) from Upton, on the road to Worcester; containing 1677 inhabitants. A castle here was successively possessed by the Nevilles, earls of Warwick, the Despensers, and the Lechmeres; the remains have been converted into a farmhouse. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Severn, and comprises 5684 acres, of a fertile soil, in equal portions of arable and pasture. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 15.; net income, £650, with a glebe-house; patron and impropriator, Sir Anthony Lechmere, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1795. The church is situated in the village, and is an ancient edifice of brick, with a tower: the interior has lately undergone several repairs. At Malvern-Wells is a separate incumbency. A school was founded by a member of the Lechmere family, and is endowed with land producing an income of £165 per annum, and with a house for the master, now the Rev. Thomas Lloyd, A.M., of Christ-Church, Oxford. There are two exhibitions to Balliol College, Oxford. A school for training female servants was opened in 1840, under the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The inmates, females, of six almshouses are supplied with coals and wheat.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Hanley-Castle – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 1 ½ mile N.N.W. from Upton-on-Severn, and 111 from London; containing 256 inhabited houses. There formerly was a castle here, but no traces of it are now to be seen. The village is delightfully situated near the Malvern-hills, and there are several gentlemen’s seats in the neighbourhood. Here is a good free school, originally intended as a classical one, but is now on Dr. Bell’s system: the present income is returned at about £300 per ann. out of which the Rev. Mr. Turberville, who is considered the head master, pays the teacher £50 per ann. and finds books, &c. for the children. The living is a vicarage; Rev. G. Turberville, incumbent; instituted 1789; patron, Sir A. Lechmere, Bart. Population, 1801, 986 – 1811, 1186 – 1821, 1424.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Universal British Directory 1791

Hanley-castle is on the Severn, and near Upton, opposite Malvern-hills, a parish six miles broad and four long. There are no traces of the castle visible. In this parish are Blackmore-park, Severn-end, and Hanley-hall, as is Holy-well or Malvern-well, on the side of the Malvern-hill. A circular cavity in the earth, about six feet in diameter, was discovered in a corn-field by a shepherd’s boy in 1787. On examination, this aperture leads to a considerable cavern at about the depth of ten feet from the surface, extending in every direction at least twenty feet in diameter; at about thirty-five or forty feet is a body of water, supposed to be nearly one hundred and forty feet deep. This discovery leads to various conjectures amongst the curious in the neighbourhood; but whether it be from a natural or artificial cause is yet undetermined: some attribute it to the convulsion of the earth, whilst others ascribe it to have been an excavation, made some hundred years past, for the purpose of obtaining water for cattle, or as a place of retirement for safety in times of war and danger, supposing in this case that the waters have since forced their way into the recess. The field where this cavern is is nearly a plain, and the soil at some depth a solid body of chalk.

Source: Universal British Directory 1791. The entry for Hanley Castle was included with that of Upton-upon-Severn but has been included in the site separately for ease of finding.

Blackmoor Park

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Blackmoor Park, the residence of T. C. Hornyold, Esq., in the parish of Hanley Castle, 3 miles from Upton-on-Severn, on the road to Malvern Wells.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Severn End

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Severn-End, in the parish of Hanley Castle, for many years the residence of the Lechmere family; it is now occupied as a grazing farm on an extensive scale; in the grounds is a tree called the Sorbus Aucuparia, or Quicken-Pear, of very large size, of the same description as that referred to in the parish of Rock.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

See Also the Directories for Upton-upon-Severn

Online Directories

Lascelles & Co.'s Directory and Gazetteer of the City of Worcester & Neighbourhood 1851

Bentley's Directory of Hanley Castle 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Hanley Castle Littleburys Directory 1879

Hanley Castle is an extensive parish and pleasant village on the west bank of the Severn, 1½ miles N.W. of Upton, 5 S.E. of Great Malvern, and 8½ S. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Pershore; union, petty sessional division, highway, and polling district of Upton-on-Severn; county court district of Malvern; annual rateable value, £18,611; area of parish, 5,681 acres; population in 1861, 1,733; in 1871, 2,167, with 417 inhabited houses, and 444 families or separate occupiers. The healthy situation of this parish is assigned as the cause of the increase of population. Sir Edmund Anthony Harley Lechmere, Bart., M.P., and John Vincent Hornyold, Esq., D.L., are the principal landowners; the latter is also lord of the manor. The soil is loam, clay, and gravel; subsoil, clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, barley, and beans. This parish took its name from a castle belonging to the Beauchamps in the Middle Ages; some traces of its moat may yet be seen near the house now occupied by Mr. Gee. It was the seat of the Le De Spencers, Earls of Gloucester and the Beauchamps, Earls of Warwick, lords of all Malvern chase. Richard Beauchamp, Duke of Warwick, King of the island of Wight, and last of that noble race, was born here in 1424. He died in 1445, and was buried in Tewkesbury abbey. The castle was granted to John Hornyold, Esq., of Standon and Blackmore, ancestor of the present owner, in the second year of Queen Elizabeth’s reign. Hanley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Upton; living, a vicarage, value £680, with residence; patron, Sir Edmund A.H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P.; vicar, Rev. Edward Whitmore Isaac, M.A., Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1879. The church (St. Mary’s) is partly built of brick, has two chancels or chapels, the one being a mortuary for the Hornyolds, and the other for the Lechmeres; a central tower, and nave divided longitudinally into two aisles by obtuse arches, resting on circular and octagonal piers. There is a Norman doorway in the south wall. The nave dates from the 14th century, and the tower 1674. The church was restored in 1858, at a cost of about £2,000, by Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., and reopened on the occasion of his bringing home his bride. The east window is a memorial to the late Sir Edmund Hungerford Lechmere, Bart. There are many beautiful painted windows and other interesting objects in the church. St. Gabriel’s Chapel-of-Ease at Hanley green was erected at the cost of Samuel J. Heathcote-Martin, Esq., late of Liverpool, on a site given by Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P. The foundation-stone was laid by Miss Lechmere, February 20th, 1872, and the building was consecrated in April 1873. It is built of Cradley stone faced with Bath stone, in the Early English style of architecture after designs by the late Sir George Gilbert Scott, R.A. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch, and tower, surmounted by a handsome spire of Bath stone, containing a peal of six bells. The lower stage of the tower opens to the chancel and north aisle, and serves as vestry and organ chamber. The nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of plain chamfered arches, resting upon round and octagonal piers. The nave roof is of original design and admirable construction. The beautiful reredos was the gift of Sir Edmund Lechmere, Bart., M.P. The east window was filled with stained glass in 1878 by S. J. Heathcote-Martin, Esq. The figures represent “ Our Lord as the Good Shepherd,” with the “Four Evangelists,” beneath which are the “Holy Family at Bethlehem,” “Our Lord’s Baptism,” “The Crucifixion,” “The Resurrection,” and “The Ascension.” The church is lighted by four handsome brass coronas, three in the nave and one in the chancel. A fine-toned organ has been added through the voluntary subscriptions of the parishioners. The church contains 420 sittings, all of which are free. The porch is of open timber-work, and at the entrance to the churchyard is a picturesque lych-gate. A handsome chapel, adjoining the mansion of Rhydd court, has been erected by Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P. It was licensed by the Bishop for Divine service, October 2nd, 1865. The Roman Catholic chapel in Blackmore park was built at the expense of John Vincent Hornyold, Esq., D.L., and has schools in connection supported by him. There is also a private chapel, adjoining the mansion, erected in 1876. A monastery for Redemptorists was opened in 1846, which, with school and church, cost £20,000. It was opened by Dr. Wiseman, but the monastery has been discontinued. The Grammar school (foundation unknown) has been remodelled, and was reopened in 1868 according to a scheme of the Endowed Schools Commission, and great care has been taken by the feoffees that the course of instruction should be suited to the wants of the district. The school premises, which are near the church, have been lately extended by the addition of handsome and convenient new schools and dormitories. The present head master is the Rev. Henry Lister, 1st B.A. (London), Fellow of the College of Preceptors, and late head master of Merston House School, Seaforth, Liverpool, who receives about 30 boarders. The national schools are at Church end and Hanley green. There are a few charities belonging to the parish, also benefit societies, clubs, the allotment system, &c. The seats in this parish are particularly deserving notice both from their pleasant situation and their fertile and well-cultivated domains. Rhydd Court, the seat of Sir Edmund Anthony Harley Lechmere, Bart., M.P., D.L., commands very beautiful views of the Severn, and is surrounded by charming private grounds. The ancient residence of the Lechmere family, which came over with William the Conqueror, was at Severn End, a fine old mansion, with many memorials of the olden time of the greatest possible interest. Blackmore Park, the seat of John Vincent Hornyold, Esq., J.P., D.L., is a handsome mansion standing in a noble park midway between the Malvern hills and the river Severn. J. V. Hornyold, Esq., is the lineal descendant of John Hornyold, of Standon, in the county of Hertford, who received the grant of the manor of Hanley at the hands of Queen Elizabeth. Hanley Castle, now the property of Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., is occupied by Thomas Gee, Esq. Hanley Hall, the residence of Thomas William Davis, Esq., is on the site of the house of the forest-keeper, when this parish as part of the ancient “chase” of Malvern. Here was a sessions room for the trial of offences committed in the forest. In various parts of the house may be seen some fine specimens of old oak wainscoting. The notorious Bishop Bonner, whose persecutions in the reign of Mary have covered his name in shame, was born in this parish. Malvern Wells is chiefly in this parish, but the Directory will be found with the Malverns.

Blackmore End is a hamlet 3 miles N.W. of Hanley church, and nearly 2 S.E. of Great Malvern; Robert’s End is about the centre of the parish; Gilbert’s End is half a mile W.; Hanley Quay is on the Severn, where there is a wharf. There is a ferry over the Severn at the Rhydd, 2 miles N. of Hanley.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Post and telegraph office, Stephen Wagstaff, Sub-Postmaster. Letters are received from Worcester (via Upton-on-Severn), the delivery commences at 7.30 a.m.; despatched at 5.5 p.m. on week-days and 12.25 p.m. on Sundays. Money-order and post-office savings bank business transacted from 9 a.m. till 4.50 p.m. The letter-box, Hanley green, is cleared at 4.35 p.m. on week-days and 11 50 a.m. on Sundays. Post town, Worcester.

Parish Church (St. Mary’s). – Rev. Edward Whitmore Isaac, M.A., Vicar; Rev. Thomas William Wood, K.C.L., Curate; Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., and Mr. John Lane, Churchwardens; John Fleet, Parish Clerk. St. Gabriel’s Chapel-of-Ease. – (Clergy same as at the Parish Church) – Francis Knipe, Esq., Churchwarden; Mr. Thomas J. Bovington, Organist; Henry Lippett, Sexton.

Roman Catholic Chapel. – Rev. Priest.

Grammar School. – The Lord Bishop of Worcester, Visitor; The Earl Beauchamp, Sir E. A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P. (Chairman), Rev. F. Hopkinson, LL.D., The Hon. John S. Pakington, G. E. Martin, Esq., and Rev. H. W. Coventry, Feoffees; Rev. Henry Lister, B.A., F.C.P., Head Master.

Hanley Castle National (or Lower) School, Church end. – Mr. Edwin Weatherby, Master; Mrs. Weatherby, Mistress.

St. Gabriel’s School (boys and girls), Hanley green. – Mrs. R. M. Edgecombe, Mistress.
Roman Catholic School (boys and girls). – Mrs. M.A. Graty, Mistress.

Working-Men’s Institute, Quay. – Thomas Hill, Manager.

Malvern Wells Station (Midland Railway). – Alfred William Spriggs, Station Master.

Carriers to Worcester. – Frank Scrivens on Wednesdays and Saturdays, returning from the Plough Inn, Silver street, at 3.30 p.m.; John Kent on Wednesdays and Saturdays, returning from the Pheasant Inn, New street, at 3.30 p.m.

Assistant Overseer. – Mr. John Kings, Robert’s end.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Barber Mr. John, Rose villa, Gilbert’s end
Cole the Misses, Laurel cottage
Davis Thomas William, Esq., Hanley hall
Dee Mrs., Park cottage, Church end
Gee Thomas, Esq., Hanley castle
Hardinge Capt. T. S. Walmer cottage
Hastings Mrs., The Grange
Haynes Miss, Laurel cottage
Hornyold John Vincent, Esq., J.P., D.L., Blackmore park
Hornyold Thomas Charles Gandolfi, Esq., J.P., D.L., Blackmore park
Hunter Mrs. M. A., Catterall
Hurst Mr. John Baptist, Church end
Isaac Rev. Edward Whitmore, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Johnson Mrs., Severn end
Knipe F., Esq., Bourne villa, Robert’s end
Lechmere Sire Edmund Anthony Harley, Bart., M.P., J.P., D.L., Rhydd court; and at 13 Bolton row, Mayfair, London, W., and Charlton club, Pall Mall, S.W.
Lechmere The Misses, Church end
Lewis Mrs., Western villa
Lister Rev. Henry, B.A., F.C.P., Grammar school
Medley Alfred Kossuth, Esq., Yew-tree ho.
Phillips Mr. John, Quay lane
Spencer Mr. William, Burley house
Ward Richard, Esq., Mortimer lodge
West Miss, Gilbert’s end
Wheeler Mrs. and Miss, Gothic cottage
Willan Henry, Esq., J.P., Albion lodge
Wood Rev. Thomas William, K.C.L. (Curate of Hanley Castle, and domestic chaplain to Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P.), Priestfield

AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.

Bailey James, Herefordshire House, The Wyche
Bailey John, tailor & draper, Hanley green
Barber George, shopkeeper, Blackmore end
Barber John, farmer, Gilbert’s end
Bennett William, farmer, North end
Betteridge James, farmer, The Balcony
Betteridge Joseph, farmer, Common farm (postal address – Malvern Wells, R.S.O.)
Bibbs John, sanitary inspector (under Upton rural authority), The Quay
Bladder William, cottage farmer
Blake Harry, steward and sub-agent to Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., The Cottage
Blain Charles, mkt. gardener, Quay
Brown Mrs. H., farmer, Church end
Brown Thomas, farmer
Burgess William, manufacturer of the “Challenge” pheasant and poultry food; patentee and inventor of the springless “Eclipse” alarm gun, all kinds of wire and other netting, &c., &c., Berry lodge. Postal address – Malvern Wells (see Malvern advts. Page 17)
Cole Edwin, farmer, Quakers’ farm
Davis Henry, wheelwright and spring trap builder, Cross hands
Davis Thomas Wm., farmer, Hanley hall
Dickson W., greengrocer, St. Gabriel’s ter.
Dymock A., lodging ho., The Hawthorns
Edgecombe Charles, nurseryman and gardener, Coney-croft
Edgecombe Mrs. R. M., mistress of St. Gabriel’s school, Hanley green
Edmunds J., boot and shoe ma., Quay lane
Edwards – , farm bailiff to J. V. Hornyold, Esq., D.L., Blackmore park
Fleet J., builder & parish clerk, Church end
Foster Frederick , farmer, Herbert’s farm
Foster John, farmer, Gilbert’s end
Ganderton George, wheelwright and carpenter, Robert’s end
Gilbert S. Francis, farmer, Brick barns
Graty Mrs. Mary Ann, mistress of Roman Catholic school
Graty Wm., hydraulic engineer, machinist, brassfounder, &c.; and at Edith walk, Gt. Malvern (see Malvern advts. P. 20)
Gregory Edwin, shopkeeper, Hanley green
Grundy Thomas, farmer, Blackmore end
Guilding John, farmer, Sink farm
Guilding Lansdowne, fmr., Merryvale farm
Hanley Castle Grammar School. – Rev. Henry Lister, B.A., F.C.P., Head Master
Hill Thomas, boot and shoe maker, and manager of the working-men’s institute, Quay lane
Hirons Wm., farmer, Parsonage farm
Hughes Mrs., farmer, North end
Jones Mrs. Caroline, beer retailer (Ewe and Lamb), Hanley green
Jones Henry, butcher, Hanley green
Jones Mrs. Henry, timer dlr., Hanley gr.
Kent John, carrier, Hanley green
King Rupert, plumber, &c., Hanley green
Kings John, grocer, provision dealer, and assistant overseer, St. Gabriel’s house
Knowles William, builder, &c.; and at Knightwick, near Worcester
Lane John, farmer, Old Hills farm
Lock George, farmer, The Common
Pittway John, wheelwright, Robert’s end
Pope Edmund, farmer, Forty green
Reynolds Thomas, blacksmith, church end
Reynolds William, carpenter and shopkeeper, Gilbert’s end
Robbins Robert, head gardener for sir Edmund Lechmere, Bart., M.P., Rhydd Court gardens
Sanders Benjamin, farmer, Holloway farm
Sanders Joseph, farmer, Horton manor
Scrivens Frank, carrier and cottage farmer, Gilbert’s end
Smith Francis Peters, farmer, Lodge farm
Smith Henry, head gamekeeper to Sir Edmund Lechmere, Bart., M.P.
Spriggs Alfred William, station master, Midland station, Malvern Wells
Stamford William, watch and clock mkr., 2 Catterall cottages
Stephens Joseph, road surveyor, and farmer, The Elms
Thomas R. W., farmer, Gilbert’s end
Tomkins H., Three Kings Inn, Church end
Tomlinson Benjamin John, Swan Inn, and farmer, Hanley green
Tomlinson John, farmer, Turner’s farm
Vivien Thomas, bricklayer, Meerbrook
Wagstaff Stephen, sub-postmaster, family grocer, provision dealer, corn flour, and meal factor, stationer, and agent for W. & A. Gilbey’s wines and spirits, Post and telegraph office
Walker James, farmer, Bower farm
Watkins Henry, blacksmith, Robert’s end
Watkins Mrs. J., blacksmith, Gilbert’s end
Weatherby Edwin, master of Hanley national school, Church end
Weaver Robert, miller, Burley
Webb James, builder, Meerbrook
West William, grocer, provision dealer, and baker, Hanley green
White Richard, coal merchant, hay and straw dealer, and farmer, Church end
White Thomas, farmer, Pool house
Wild John, farmer, Ivy house
Willis James, market gardener, Church end

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Hanley Castle Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Hanley Castle is a very large parish, commencing within a mile of Upton-upon-Severn, and extending to within two miles of Great Malvern. The chapelry of Malvern Wells belongs to this parish, but it has been attached to Malvern, as more convenient for reference. The population in 1851 was 1686.

The river Severn runs through the parish, and there was formerly on its banks a castle, successively in the possession of the Nevilles, Earls of Warwick, the De Spensers, and the Lechmeres. The remains have been converted into a farm house.

The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated in the village, near Upton. It is an ancient brick edifice, with massive square tower, containing six bells. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of Sir Edmund Hungerford Lechmere, Bart. Rev. A. B. Lechmere, M. A., Vicar; Mr. Edgecombe, Organist; Mr. Stephen Wagstaff, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

The Catholic Chapel is a large and commodious structure, situate in the Malvern road. Rev. Thomas Flanagan, Priest. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.

There is an Endowed School in the village, near the church. Rev. Thomas Lloyd, Master; Mr. Joseph Wood, Second Master.

There is also a School in connection with the Catholic chapel, near Swan Green. Miss Harragon, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 30.

The County Police Station is in the Malvern road, near Swan Green. Bartholomew Breeman, Officer.

DIRECTORY

Beech Mr. William, Burley House
Bradford Mr. Edward, Robert’s End Street
Fearon Mrs., Gilbert’s End
Flanagan Rev. Thomas, Catholic Priest
Haynes Mr. Walter, Laurel Cottage, Robert’s End Street
Knipes The Misses, Robert’s End Street
Lechmere Sir Edmund H., The Rhydd
Lechmere Edmund H., Esq., Merrivale
Lechmere Rev. A. B., Vicar, Vicarage
Lewis Mrs., Robert’s End Street
Lloyd Rev. Thomas, schoolmaster
Piercy Mrs. Mary F., Vine Cottage, Gilbert’s End
Reece Mrs. Mary Ann, Robert’s End Street
Smith Mrs. Margaret, Hawthorn Cottage, Robert’s End Street
Willan Mr. Edward, Albin Lodge, Robert’s End Street
Willan Mr. Thomas, Yew Tree House, Robert’s End Street
Williams Mr. Thomas, Walmer Cottage
Wright Mrs. Elizabeth
--
Aishen William, baker, Church End
Baldwin John, boot and shoe maker
Barber George, shopkeeper and beer retailer, New Inn
Barber John, farmer, Gilbert’s End
Baylis Thomas, baker, Robert’s End Street
Bluck George, farmer, Northfield Farm
Chadd Thomas, blacksmith, Robert’s End Street
Cole John, wheelwright and blacksmith, Gilbert’s End
Cole William, farmer, Gilbert’s End
Cook Thomas, farmer
Davis Ann, farmer, Ivy House, Robert’s End Street
Davis William, farmer, Hanley Hall
Edgcombe Charles, coal dealer
Edmunds John, boot and shoe maker, Hanley Quay
Fleet John, and Son, builders
Foster Frederick, farmer, Gilbert’s End
Gee Thomas, farmer, Hanley Castle Farm
Graty William, painter, &c., Swan Green
Green Joseph, farmer, Nurden’s Green
Grundy James S., butcher and farmer, Robert’s End Street
Grundy Thomas, farmer
Hill Henry, farmer
Holyhead Sophia, shopkeeper
Holyhead W., beer retailer, Three Kings
Hughes Joseph, victualler, Hare and Hounds
Humpidge Thomas, farmer, Severn End
Jones James, victualler, Coach and Horses, Swan Green
Lane John, farmer
Lloyd Enoch, farmer, Cliffy Farm
Lloyd Thomas, victualler, Hanley Quay, Hanley Quay
Lucy Francis William, cider and hop merchant, Elm House, Robert’s End Street
Moore William, farmer, The Cottage
Perrins Edward, miller and farmer
Phillips John, wheelwright, Hanley Quay
Purser William, farmer, Gothic Cottage, Malvern Road
Reynolds Benjamin, blacksmith, Church End
Shipway Wm., farmer, Herbert’s Farm
Symonds William, farmer, Horton Manor, Robert’s End Street
Taylor John, Swan Green
Tomlinson John, victualler, Swan, Swan Green
Wagstaff Stephen, shopkeeper, Church End
Waldron Henry, shopkeeper
Watkins James, blacksmith, Gilbert’s End
Wells John, farmer
West William, shopkeeper, Swan Green
Wharton Mary, shopkeeper, Robert’s End Street
White Richard, coal dealer, Church End, and Hanley Quay
Wilkshire Henry, farmer
Wood Jonas, schoolmaster

Post Office, Church End. – Stephen Wagstaff, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 8 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Hanley Castle Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Hanley Castle, 2 miles from Upton, containing 176 houses, and 986 inhabitants. There are several gentlemen’s seats in this parish.

Barber William, farmer
Barnes John, farmer
Barry Miss, gentlewoman
Baylis William, farmer
Berry Thomas, farmer
Bull Charles, farmer
Broadstock Thos., farmer
Chamberlain James, gent.
Charlton E. L. esq.
Clarke A., gentlewoman
Cole William, farmer
Cooper Richard, joiner
Crees Mark, farmer
Devereux Joseph, wheelwright
Devereux Jane, vict.
Green Joseph, farmer
Green Mary, farmer
Hall Joseph, farmer
Hall William, farmer
Hinksman Rich., farmer
Hornyold T. C. esq.
Jackson P., carpenter
Jones Edmund, vict.
Jones Arnold, smith
Kent B. G. esq. Church End House
Lakin Henry, farmer
Lane John, farmer
Lechmere Sir Anthony, Bart.
Lewis James, surgeon
Lloyd Benjamin, farmer
Lloyd Enoch, farmer
Lloyd Charles, farmer
Lloyd Francis, farmer
Load James, farmer
Load Nancy, baker
Lucy F. cider merchant
Merriman Thos., farmer
Page Thomas, farmer
Perrins Edward, farmer
Purser John, farmer
Surman John, esq.
Taylor Thomas, farmer
Taylor John, farmer
Thomason J. shopkeeper
Turberville Rev. G.
Wall Martin, esq.
Walker William, farmer
Williams James

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Powyke
  • Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
  • Hundred: Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury