Hanley Castle Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Hanley Castle is a very large parish, commencing within a mile of Upton-upon-Severn, and extending to within two miles of Great Malvern. The chapelry of Malvern Wells belongs to this parish, but it has been attached to Malvern, as more convenient for reference. The population in 1851 was 1686.
The river Severn runs through the parish, and there was formerly on its banks a castle, successively in the possession of the Nevilles, Earls of Warwick, the De Spensers, and the Lechmeres. The remains have been converted into a farm house.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated in the village, near Upton. It is an ancient brick edifice, with massive square tower, containing six bells. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of Sir Edmund Hungerford Lechmere, Bart. Rev. A. B. Lechmere, M. A., Vicar; Mr. Edgecombe, Organist; Mr. Stephen Wagstaff, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The Catholic Chapel is a large and commodious structure, situate in the Malvern road. Rev. Thomas Flanagan, Priest. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
There is an Endowed School in the village, near the church. Rev. Thomas Lloyd, Master; Mr. Joseph Wood, Second Master.
There is also a School in connection with the Catholic chapel, near Swan Green. Miss Harragon, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 30.
The County Police Station is in the Malvern road, near Swan Green. Bartholomew Breeman, Officer.

DIRECTORY

Beech Mr. William, Burley House
Bradford Mr. Edward, Robert’s End Street
Fearon Mrs., Gilbert’s End
Flanagan Rev. Thomas, Catholic Priest
Haynes Mr. Walter, Laurel Cottage, Robert’s End Street
Knipes The Misses, Robert’s End Street
Lechmere Sir Edmund H., The Rhydd
Lechmere Edmund H., Esq., Merrivale
Lechmere Rev. A. B., Vicar, Vicarage
Lewis Mrs., Robert’s End Street
Lloyd Rev. Thomas, schoolmaster
Piercy Mrs. Mary F., Vine Cottage, Gilbert’s End
Reece Mrs. Mary Ann, Robert’s End Street
Smith Mrs. Margaret, Hawthorn Cottage, Robert’s End Street
Willan Mr. Edward, Albin Lodge, Robert’s End Street
Willan Mr. Thomas, Yew Tree House, Robert’s End Street
Williams Mr. Thomas, Walmer Cottage
Wright Mrs. Elizabeth
--
Aishen William, baker, Church End
Baldwin John, boot and shoe maker
Barber George, shopkeeper and beer retailer, New Inn
Barber John, farmer, Gilbert’s End
Baylis Thomas, baker, Robert’s End Street
Bluck George, farmer, Northfield Farm
Chadd Thomas, blacksmith, Robert’s End Street
Cole John, wheelwright and blacksmith, Gilbert’s End
Cole William, farmer, Gilbert’s End
Cook Thomas, farmer
Davis Ann, farmer, Ivy House, Robert’s End Street
Davis William, farmer, Hanley Hall
Edgcombe Charles, coal dealer
Edmunds John, boot and shoe maker, Hanley Quay
Fleet John, and Son, builders
Foster Frederick, farmer, Gilbert’s End
Gee Thomas, farmer, Hanley Castle Farm
Graty William, painter, &c., Swan Green
Green Joseph, farmer, Nurden’s Green
Grundy James S., butcher and farmer, Robert’s End Street
Grundy Thomas, farmer
Hill Henry, farmer
Holyhead Sophia, shopkeeper
Holyhead W., beer retailer, Three Kings
Hughes Joseph, victualler, Hare and Hounds
Humpidge Thomas, farmer, Severn End
Jones James, victualler, Coach and Horses, Swan Green
Lane John, farmer
Lloyd Enoch, farmer, Cliffy Farm
Lloyd Thomas, victualler, Hanley Quay, Hanley Quay
Lucy Francis William, cider and hop merchant, Elm House, Robert’s End Street
Moore William, farmer, The Cottage
Perrins Edward, miller and farmer
Phillips John, wheelwright, Hanley Quay
Purser William, farmer, Gothic Cottage, Malvern Road
Reynolds Benjamin, blacksmith, Church End
Shipway Wm., farmer, Herbert’s Farm
Symonds William, farmer, Horton Manor, Robert’s End Street
Taylor John, Swan Green
Tomlinson John, victualler, Swan, Swan Green
Wagstaff Stephen, shopkeeper, Church End
Waldron Henry, shopkeeper
Watkins James, blacksmith, Gilbert’s End
Wells John, farmer
West William, shopkeeper, Swan Green
Wharton Mary, shopkeeper, Robert’s End Street
White Richard, coal dealer, Church End, and Hanley Quay
Wilkshire Henry, farmer
Wood Jonas, schoolmaster
Post Office, Church End. – Stephen Wagstaff, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 8 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855