Hanbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1577
At Woolmere green is a chapel-of-ease, erected in 1872
Nonconformists in Hanbury include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
A rifle corps, coal and clothing clubs, Sunday and night schools, parochial association for missions, lending library, &c., were supported in the parish, and a nursing institution for well-trained and experienced nurses was been established by Lady Georgina Vernon.
National School (boys and girls), Hanbury village.
National School, Broughton green.
Parishes adjacent to Hanbury
- Stock and Bradley
- Grafton Flyford
- Stoke Prior
Historical Descriptions of Hanbury
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Hanbury, a village and a parish in Droitwich Registration District, Worcester. The village stands near the Worcester and Birmingham canal and the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 2 miles SSE of Stoke Prior r. station, and 3¼ ENE of Droitwich; and has a post-office under Bromsgrove. The parish comprises 7,533 acres; and is partly included in Droitwich borough. Real property, £10,501. Pop., 1,044. Houses, 224. The property is divided among five. Hanbury Hall is the seat of H. F. Vernon, Esq.; and Mere Hall is the seat of E. Bearcroft, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1,188. Patron, H. F. Vernon, Esq. The church stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view; is an ancient edifice, with a tower; was repaired in 1860, and enlarged in 1861; and contains monuments of the Vernons. Roman coins and other relics were recently found near the church. There are a Wesleyan chapel, two national schools, and charities £181.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Hanbury – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 mile E. from Droitwich, and 120 from London; containing 161 inhabited houses. The church stands on a high hill, and contains several handsome monuments belonging to the Vernon family, the present owners of the estate. The living is a rectory, not under the jurisdiction of the Archdeacon; Rev. William Vernon, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, T. S. Vernon, Esq. Population, 1801, 983 – 1811, 1018 – 1821, 1042.
Hanbury-Hall, in the above parish, the residence of John Phillips, Esq. The mansion consists of a centre and two wings, with an immense number of windows: it was built about a century back, and is completely in the style of that period.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Hanbury Hall, now the residence of John Philips, Esq. is a very spacious mansion, erected by Mr. Vernon, a barrister, and representative of one branch of that ancient family about the year 1710. It is completely in the style of that period, consisting of a centre and two wings; and as the window tax was then unknown, it contains an immense number of windows and doors, owing to the number and smallness of the various apartments. According to the style then in vogue, it has numerous closets; arched cellars; large and extensive stables; but unfortunately the offices are in full view of the house. Like the houses of that age, the hall and staircase are painted with allegories, mythology, &c. and by an artist no less famous than Sir Godfrey Kneller, of whose politics, as well as those of the master of the house, we may judge by his having introduced Sacheverell carried away by furies. There are several pictures; and there was a famous one of Charles XII of Sweden, drawn from the life, for Bishop Robinson. The house, indeed, contains everything to make it comfortable, though old fashioned, for a private gentleman; and is surrounded by a well wooded park of 130 acres, in which there are many breaks leading to pleasing prospects.
The parish is but small, and has a small church, which stands on a hill a little to the eastward of the hall, from which there is a prospect well worth viewing. The church itself is a conspicuous object, standing on such an eminence that it is necessary to ascend 180 steps from the parsonage-house. In it there is a handsome monument of Counsellor Vernon, the builder of the hall, whose heiress, in 1780, married into the noble family of Exeter. He is represented reclining, in his robes, with Justice and Law an each side. There is another elegant pyramidal one to Bowater Vernon, Esq.: the figure is fine, and in the altitude of study; but by a strange incongruity, the upper half is partly in Roman costume, whilst the lower is in breeches and slippers. The monument to the memory of Thomas Vernon, Esq. who died in 1771, has an elegant figure leaning on the urn; the expression is fine, and all the attitude easy, except the right arm, which is drawn rather too for forward.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Universal British Directory 1791
Hanbury, ten miles from Worcester, on the Alcester road, has a large handsome seat called Hanbury-hall, the property of the Earl of Exeter, surrounded by a large park. The church is situated on hill, from whence there are very pleasant prospects, and is itself an object to the country round; a new tower has lately been built, and the whole new beautified and repaired. There are several elegant marble monuments to the family of the Vernons worthy of notice.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791.
Hanbury Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879
Hanbury is a large agricultural parish, 2 miles S.E. of Stoke Works station, 5 S. of Bromsgrove, 4 E. of Droitwich, and 10½ N.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire, highway district of Redditch, union, county court district, petty sessional division, and parliamentary borough of Droitwich; annual rateable value, £11,354; area of parish, 7,533 acres; population in 1861, 1,044; in 1871, 1,094, with 218 inhabited houses, and 249 families or separate occupiers. Harry Foley Vernon, Esq., D.L., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, barley, and beans. Several Roman remains and coins have been discovered on Church hill. The Worcester and Birmingham canal, the Droitwich and Alcester road, and the Birmingham and Bristol branch of the Midland railway run through the parish. Statutes are held at the Vernon Arms Inn, on Lady-day and Michaelmas. Hanbury is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a rectory, value £1,168, with handsome rectory-house, and 162 acres of glebe; patron, Harry Foley Vernon, Esq.; rector, Rev. Charles William Norman Ogilvy, M.A., Christ Church, Oxford, who was instituted in 1878. The church of St. Mary stands upon a wooded eminence, and commands a splendid view of the surrounding neighbourhood. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and tower, containing eight bells, and possesses Early English piers and arches, with some Decorated and Perpendicular portions. It was expensively restored in 1861, at the cost of H. F. Vernon, Esq., and the Hon. and Rev. Henry Douglas, M.A. (the former rector), when the chancel was rebuilt with the addition of north and south aisles. The south chancel aisle, called the “Vernon Chapel,” contains the monuments of the Vernon family; these are very elaborate and beautiful, including works of Chantrey and Roubiliac. The earliest register is dated 1577. At Woolmere green is a chapel-of-ease, erected in 1872, with accommodation for about 100 persons. There are two national schools; one near the parish church and the other at Broughton green; the latter was enlarged in 1872 and licensed for Divine service. A small endowment for a school now goes towards the expenses of the parochial schools. The Wesleyans and Baptists have places of worship here. A rifle corps, coal and clothing clubs, Sunday and night schools, parochial association for missions, lending library, &c., are supported in the parish, and a nursing institution for well-trained and experienced nurses has been established by Lady Georgina Vernon. There are numerous charities for the benefit of the poor, including £200 left in 1713, by Thomas Vernon, Esq., Middle Temple, to apprentice children of the parish, and £1,000 for the poor of Hanbury and Shrawley. Hanbury Hall, the seat of Harry Foley Vernon, Esq., J.P., D.L., and Lady Georgina Vernon, is a commodious mansion, situate in a finely-wooded park of 130 acres, from which the Malvern and Bredon hills are seen to advantage. The house was rebuilt in 1710 by Councillor Vernon; the hall and staircase were painted by Sir J. Thornhill, the subject chosen being the history of Achilles. H. F. Vernon, Esq., held the office of High-Sheriff of Worcestershire in 1873. Mere Hall, the seat of Edward Bearcroft, Esq., J.P., D.L., is one of the oldest timber-framed mansions in the county. The two large gables form a wing, and an octagon turret rises above the roof. A very fine avenue of elms leads to the house. Broughton Court is the residence of Miss Bearcroft, and The Mount that of Henry Bearcroft, Esq.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Benjamin Cooper, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Bromsgrove at 8.40 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. on week-days, and at 9.50 a.m. on Sundays. Letters for Hanbury hall, Mere hall, Broughton, goose hill, Westfields, &c., are received through Droitwich. The nearest money-order and telegraph offices are at Feckenham, Bromsgrove, and Droitwich.
Parish Church (St. Mary’s). – Rev. Charles William Norman Ogilvy, M.A., Rector; Rev. F. W. Piercy, Curate; Messrs. Samuel Wilson and Thomas Jackson, Churchwardens; William Moore, Parish Clerk and Sexton; George M. Greenhill, Organist.
Chapel-of-Ease, Woolmere green.
National School (boys and girls), Hanbury village. – Mr. George Marshall Greenhill, Master; Mrs. Baylis, Sewing Mistress.
National School, Broughton green. – Mr. Richard Lord, master.
Droitwich Road Goods Station (Midland Railway). – Mr. William Pittaway, Station Master and Goods Agent.
Assistant Overseer. – Mr. James Stanton Cole.
Carrier to Worcester and Bromsgrove. – William Moore, to Plough Inn, Silver street, Worcester, on Wednesdays and Saturdays; to the George Inn, Worcester street, Bromsgrove, on Tuesdays.
Bearcroft Edward, Esq., D.L., Mere hall
Bearcroft Henry, Esq., The Mount
Bearcroft Miss, Broughton court
Cartwright Miss, White house
Handy Mr. George, Woolmere green
Ogilvy Rev. Charles William Norman, M.A., (rector), The Rectory
Piercy Rev. F. W. (curate)
Vernon Lady Georgina, Hanbury hall
Vernon Harry Foley, Esq., J.P., D.L. (colonel of second battalion of Worcestershire rifle volunteers), Hanbury hall
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Allen William Ashwin, farm bailiff to Edward Bearcroft, Esq., D.L., Little Lodge farm
Aubrey George, frmr., Upper Goose hill
Ballinger Arthur, dairyman, Fish pools
Barber Thomas, cowkeeper, Park hill
Barley Armell, butcher
Bate George, blacksmith, &c., Old Bell
Bate Thos., blacksmith, Woolmere green
Baylis Alfred Edward and George, farmers, Hownings farm
Baylis Charles, boot and she maker, Dodderhill common
Baylis John, Vernon Arms inn
Baylis Stephen, foreman carpenter on the Hanbury estate, Becks
Beardsmore Thos., bricklayer, Broughton
Best William, woodman, Broughton
Bickley J., coal dlr., &c., Hanbury wharf
Burrow Mrs., farmer, Webb house
Caswell Thos., farmer, Ditchford bank
Clarke Samuel, Railway Tavern, and shopkeeper, Hanbury wharf
Cole Mrs. Emma, grocer, draper, &c.
Cole Jas. Stanton, assistant overseer, &c.
Cooper Benjn., painter & sub-postmstr.
Cope Mrs. Maria, shopkeeper and beer retailer (New Inn)
Corbett Messrs., farmers, Hollow fields
Cowley Thomas, farmer, Goose Hill grn.
Cross James, farmer, Goose Hill green
Drew Alfred, boot & shoe ma., Woodrow
Ford Charles, farmer, Hill farm
Ford Geo., farmer, Temple Broughton
Gardner Henry, gamekeeper for Edwd. Bearcroft, Esq., D.L., Goose Hill grn.
Gibbs John, farmer, Hollow fields
Gore George P., blacksmith, Mere grn.
Green Wm., farmer, Pump House farm
Greenhill George Marshall, master of national school and organist, Village
Guise William, beer retailer, Broughton
Haden John, farmer, Wall House farm
Harber John, tailor, Pump House lane
Jackson Thomas, farmer, Hollow fields
Jones William, bricklayer
Ladbury Frederick George, bricklayer
Lord Richard, schoolmaster, Broughton
Martin Fredk., head gamekeeper for H. F. Vernon, Esq., D.L., of Hanbury hall
Martin John, brewer, maltster, and farmer, The Valley
Mence Robert, farmer, Astwood
Moore Wm., parish clk., tailor, & carrier
Newman Mrs. Ann, farmer, Goose hill
Newman William, farmer, Skirgins
Oliver Geo., head gardener to H. F. Vernon, Esq., D.L., Hanbury Hall gards.
Penrice George, farmer, Walmer farm
Penrice Wm., Joseph, farmer, Park fm.
Phillips Mrs. Mary, laundress
Pinfield Elijah, fairy farmer, Old House cottage, Dodderhill common
Pittaway W., goods agent, Droitwich rd.
Preece Richard, wheelwright, Woodrow
Price Mrs. M., dairy farmer, The Elms
Seager James, farmer, park hall
Small William, farmer, Earl’s common
Smith William, boot and shoe maker
Steele Abel, grocer, &c., Dodderhill com.
Taylor Joseph, farmer, Foster’s green
Taylor Richard, dairy farmer, Woodrow
Taylor James, police constable, Police sta.
Terrett Geo. Patrick, frmr., The Forest
Tombs George, farmer, Hollow fields
Toovey Charles, carpenter and builder, Square and Compass Inn, Woodrow
Turner Alfred, cowkeeper, Old Bell
Weaver Daniel, farmer, Old house
Weaver John, butcher, &c., The Valley
Weaver Thomas, brick manufacturer & builder; and at Stoke Prior
Wells John, farmer, Goose Hill green
Weston Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper
White Reuben, carpenter, Woodrow
Whitehouse Geo., farmer, Ward’s farm
Willis John, farm steward to H. F. Vernon, Esq., D.L., Beck’s farm
Wilson John, farmer, The Woodrow
Wilson Samuel, farmer, &c., Mere green
Wilson Wm., farmer, Lower Westfield
Wyatt Thos., farmer, Upper Westfield
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Hanbury Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Hanbury is an extensive and widely-scattered parish and village, situated about 3 miles from Droitwich in an easterly direction, containing in 1851 a population of 1009 inhabitants.
Hanbury Hall was erected about the year 1710, by Councillor Vernon, and is at the present time undergoing very extensive alterations and repairs. It is situated in a well-wooded park, from which the spires of Worcester, and the Bredon and Malvern Hills, are seen to advantage.
The Church is situated on an eminence at the extreme north point of the parish, and consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with western square tower, having embattlements and pinnacles. In the west end of the south aisle is a semicircular-headed window, with a pointed arch, denoting the transition from the late Norman to the early English style of architecture. The north side aisle is of a more recent date than the nave, and the south aisle has the appearance of being the most ancient part of the building. The chancel contains some very elegant marble monuments to the Vernon family. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of T. B. Vernon, Esq. Rev. William Vernon, M.A., Vicar; Miss Smith, Organist; Mr. Henry Grasier, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The charity School – On the table of charities in the church it is stated that the Rev. Richard Vernon, some time Rector here, erected a school-house, and endowed the same with 20s. annually for ever, charged on certain real estates belonging to him, in the county of Worcester; he died in 1627. Thomas Vernon, Esq., of Hanbury, by will dated January 17th, 1711, gave a tenement near the church, with the close and orchard adjoining, the rents to be applied to the maintenance of a schoolmaster. The school property so derived, as well as other charities of the parish, were for many years vested in feoffees or trustees, of whom Edward Bearcroft, Esq., counsellor-at-law, was the last surviving. The house given by Thomas Vernon became very dilapidated and was blown down, in consequence of which there has been no school for many years. Application has been made to the Court of Chancery for the appointment of new trustees, which has been granted, and they have since been appointed, and arrangements are in progress for the erection of a new and commodious school, with a grant for the exchange of site to a much more eligible and central part of the parish, with every probability of its immediate commencement (1855). The building is intended to be in the Gothic and Elizabethan styles of architecture. The funds in hand arising from the charity amount to £215, to which the following handsome donations of the clergy and gentry have been added – Thomas Bowater Vernon, Esq., Hanbury Hall, £300; Edward Bearcroft, Esq., Meer Hall, £150; George C. Vernon, Esq., The Mount, £25; Rev. William Vernon, Rector, £20; with other handsome donations of the parishioners. Mr. John Creswell, Secretary and Treasurer to the trustees for the erection of the school.
Charities – Rev. Richard Vernon, a former Rector, erected the school-house, and left 20s. annually for ever; he died in 1627 – John Derby, gentleman, gave £3 annually to the school forever – Sir John Hanbury, Knight, gave £6 10s. for ever, to be given in bread to the poor – Henry Collier gave certain lands in Bradley, the rents arising therefrom to be given to the poor for ever. – Mrs. Ann Dysan left the rents of some fields in Hallow Field, to be given to the poor. – John Stiverton gave certain lands in Hanbury, out of which £4 10s. to be laid out in clothing annually for the poor. – Madam Mary Bearcroft, 1714, left 44 s. annually for the education of poor children of Hanbury – Thomas Vernon, Esq., Middle Temple, by will, left £200, to apprentice poor children; also a house and close for the schoolmaster for the time being, and £1,000 for the use of the poor of Shrawley and Hanbury.
Bearcroft Miss Frances E., Broughton Court
Bearcroft Edward, Esq., Meer hall
Vernon George Croft, Esq., The Mount
Vernon Thomas Bowater, Esq., Hanbury Hall
Vernon Rev. William, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Appleby Hugh, farmer, The Bank
Aubrey Robert, farmer, Upper Goose Hill
Banks George, farmer, Plump House
Bates Charles, blacksmith
Bates George, blacksmith
Baylis Edward, farmer, Hownings
Baylis Stephen, carpenter, Beck
Beck Embrey, shoe maker
Bourne Mary, victualler, Railway Tavern
Cole George, farmer
Cole James A., shopkeeper and carpenter
Cope John, beer retailer and cooper, Carpenter’s Arms
Cottrill Henry, farmer, Temple Broughton
Creswell John, farmer, brick and tile manufacturer, and High Constable of the Hundred of Upper Halfshire, The Forest; also of Stock Green Farms
Dandy William, shoe maker
Drew Thomas, shoe maker
Evans Joseph, tailor
Ford Charles, farmer, Hill Farm
Ford George, farmer, Hallow Fields
Ford John, farmer, Park Hall
Gilbert Richard, farmer, Stone House
Gilbert William, miller, Stone House
Gore John P., blacksmith
Green William, farmer, Wall House
Haden John, farmer, Wall House
Handy George, farmer, Rectory Farm
Haywood James, farmer, Woodrow
Herbert Thomas Jones, farmer, Hallow Farm
Holyoake Edward, maltster, The Valley
Hunt William, farmer, Hallow Fields
Jennings William, park and game keeper to Thomas B. Vernon, Esq.
Mence Robert, farmer, Astwood
Newman Ann, farmer, Lower Goose Hill
Parry Charles, farmer, Walmer
Partridge John, farmer, Skirgins, and Monk Wood Farms
Philpott James, blacksmith
Pike William, farmer, Little Lodge
Preece James, wheelwright
Reeves Henry, farmer, Hallow Fields
Richards Ann, victualler, Vernon Arms
Saunders Sarah, farmer, Feckenham Lodge
Simpson David, shopkeeper
Smitheringale John, farmer, Hallow Fields
Stanley John, shoe maker
Turner James, beer retailer and shopkeeper
Weaver Daniel, farmer, Old House, and Beck
Wilson John, farmer, Westfield; also of Rouse Lench
Wilson Samuel, farmer, Meer Green
Wyatt Edward, farmer, Ditchford Bank
Wyatt Joseph, farmer, Upper Westfield.
Post Office – J. S. Cole, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Hanbury Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Hanbury, 3 miles from Droitwich, containing 165 houses, and 983 inhabitants.
Allen Mrs., farmer
Appleby Joseph, maltster
Appleby T., shoemaker
Burbage Richard, farmer
Burbage Mrs., farmer
Burslem Henry, gent.
Chillingworth J., farmer
Downes Edward, farmer
Downes Mrs., farmer
Eades Henry, farmer
Ford Mrs, farmer
Fownes George, farmer
Grove Wm. sen., farmer
Grove Wm. jun., farmer
Hands William, farmer
Handy Henry, farmer
Harbor Joseph, vict.
Heming Thomas, farmer
Heywood James, farmer
Heywood John, timber merchant
Jackson Thomas, farmer
Jackson George, farmer
Laughter William, farmer
Lilly John, farmer
Martin B., wheelwright
Milward William, farmer
Morrell John, farmer
Palmer Richard, farmer
Parkes Mrs., farmer
Parkes Mary, farmer
Parkes William, farmer
Parkes Thomas, farmer
Parry – , farmer
Percival – , esq. Broughton house
Perkins John, farmer
Perks John, farmer
Phillips John, esq.
Saunders Thomas, farmer
Smith William, farmer
Still Abel, tailor
Thomas Richard, farmer
Vernon Thos. Taylor, esq.
Vernon Rev. William
Wagstaff Samuel, farmer
Weaver Mrs. farmer
Weaver George, butcher
Weaver Thomas, butcher
Wyatt Thomas, sen.
Wyatt Thomas, jun.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Family History Links for Hanbury
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Hanbury
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Droitwich
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- Highway District: Redditch
- County Court District: Droitwich
- Petty Sessional Division: Droitwich
- Parliamentary Borough: Droitwich