Hallow is a chapelry of Grimley Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Broadheath, South Hallow, Shoulton, and North Hallow.

Parish church: St Phillip & St James

Parish registers begin: 1583

Nonconformists include: Countess of Huntingdon Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Hallow

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HALLOW, a village and a parish in Martley district, Worcestershire. The village stands near the river Severn, and near the Worcester and Malvern railway, 3 miles NNW of Worcester; and has a post office under Worcester. The parish includes also the hamlets of Broadheath and Shoulton. Acres, 3,556. Real property, £9,121. Pop. in 1851, 308; in 1861, 507. Houses, 320. The property is subdivided. Hallow Park, situated on a height commanding a fine view of the Severn, is the seat of Captain J. P. Lord. There are nurseries, market gardens, and several neat villas. The living is a p. curacy, annexed, with Christ’s Chapel, to the vicarage of Grimley, in the diocese of Worcester. The old church was rebuilt in 1830, and is now a mortuary chapel. The new church was built in 1869, at a cost of about £4,000. Christ’s chapel is in Broadheath. There are a Lady Huntingdon’s chapel, an endowed school with £100 a year, and a free school in Broadheath.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Hallow – a township in the parish of Grimley, and hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 3 miles N.N.E. from Worcester, and 113 from London; containing 221 inhabited houses. It has a neat chapel, of Norman architecture, annexed to Grimley. Population, 1801, 878 – 1811, 885 – 1821, 1081.
Hallow-Park, in the above township, the residence of Samuel Wall, Esq. The house stands upon an eminence on the banks of the river Severn, and commands an extensive prospect. In the park is a purgative chalybeate spring.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Hallow Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814

Hallow village is about one mile and a half north-west from Worcester, on the bank of Severn, and to the right of the Tenbury road. It stands on a fine salubrious eminence gradually rising from the river, and the Villa of Hallow is happily situated on the most commanding part of that eminence. To describe the richness of the surrounding scenery is impossible, enlivened as it is by the moving picture of the river, wafting all the comforts and luxuries of foreign climes to the interior of our fertile plains, and, in return, transporting their produce, and giving employment to the active arm of honest industry. The Cotswould and Breedon hills, in front, fade into the distance, whilst their bright purple gives a bold relief to the Gothic turrets of the cathedral, and the elegant spires of the various churches. To the north-east, the view extends into Warwickshire; and from the back of the house, Clee and Clent raise their heads in majesty: but the most pleasant prospect is down the vale of Severn, backed to the right by Malvern’s distant hills. Though the house had been for along time untenanted, yet the pleasure grounds which had originally been well disposed, are still kept in excellent order, and the plantations, now arrived at maturity, are judiciously intersected with breaks, which, from all sides, direct the eye to the most picturesque points of view. The grounds have long been famous for possessing a purgative chalybeate spring, which, though never much in fashion, has yet been of considerable service to many individuals, but as it is not superior in efficacy to the waters of Cheltenham, though of the same qualities, it is not now likely to attract attention, particularly being in the immediate vicinity of resorts already established.
Thorngrove is about one mile further; it was formerly the residence of William Cross, Esq.; afterwards the property of Mr. Lamotte; and has lately been purchased by Monsieur Lucien Buonaparte: thus exhibiting a silent, yet impressive lesson to mankind, in affording a peaceful and secure asylum to the brother of him who affects to rule the universe; of him who vainly threatens destruction to that small spot, where alone liberty reigns, and which alone could give security even to the brother of the usurper. Events, thus passing before our eyes, are seldom considered of any curious importance; but the page of future history will astonish succeeding generations in recording these particulars ; and mankind will scarcely believe that the brother of the Emperor of France, the arbiter of the fate of a whole continent, should yet seek protection from those whom that emperor in his vain glory had sworn to destroy, should there seek comfort in an English villa, whilst half the palaces, and half the thrones, of Europe awaited his choice. Nor is it less curious in looking over the list of game certificates for the last year, to see the name of Monsieur Lucien Bonaparte amongst the number; one brother thus licensed to shoot upon the land, whilst we refuse permissions to the other to fire upon the sea.
The house itself, which is in a very pleasing, yet plain style of architecture, stands upon an eminence, to the left of, and at some distance from, the high-road; its white front well contrasting with the extensive lawn and serpentine lake, relieved on each side by screens of young plantations, and backed by the Abberley hills.

Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.

Directories

Online Directories

Lascelles & Co.’s Directory and Gazetteer of the City of Worcester & Neighbourhood 1851

Bentley’s Directory of Hallow 1840 – Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Hallow (with the Hamlets of Broad Heath and Shoulton) Billings Directory 1855

Hallow is very pleasantly situated, about 2½ miles from Worcester, on the road to Tenbury. Mr. Noake in his Rambler says, “the high-road from Worcester, to Hallow and Grimley, forms on of the finest natural terraces to be met with in this part of the country, looking down for several miles upon rich valley of the Severn, and commanding a bird’s-eye view of the city and its approaches;” in which remark we fully concur. The salubrity of this neighbourhood is very fine, the inhabitants living generally to a “ripe” old age.
Hallow Park is a very fine wooded estate, commanding a delightful view of the river Severn; the mansion is now the residence of the Rev. R. B. Bourne.
It appears form a chamber order book of the city of Worcester, bearing date 1575, that Queen Elizabeth chose this spot for hunting purposes, killing two bucks here during her visit to Worcester; on which occasion her Majesty’s horses and geldings, to the number of 1500, were pastured on Pitchcroft, and the local historian of the time observed: “Thanks be to God, amongst the said great number of horses and geldings, not one horse or gelding was eyther stolen, strayed away, or peryshd.”
The church, a neat building, containing nave and chancel, was re-built and enlarged in the year 1830. One half of the sittings are free, being a grant from the Incorporated Society. The eastern chancel window is of handsome painted glass, presented by candidates for holy orders. The monumental remains in the church are few, the principal of which are memorials to the families of Lygon, Hall, and Harrison. There is a railed tomb to the memory of Sir C. Bell, author of one of the Bridgewater Treatises, who was born at Edinburgh, and died at Hallow Park, in 1842. The living is annexed to Grimley. Rev. H. G. Pepys, B.A., Vicar; Rev. R. B. Bourne, M.A., Curate; Rev. H. R. Peel, B.A., Assistant Curate; Mr. John Nutt, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small Chapel of Ease at Broad Heath, in connection with the parish of Hallow, the interior of which is neatly fitted. Service – 3 p.m. The children of the Broad Heath National School respond. The Chapel, now belonging to the denomination of Independents, is a neat brick building, erected in 1831, and has undergone a thorough repair. A Sunday school is attached, which is conducted, as well as the public service, by Christian friends from Worcester. Service – 6 p.m.
The Free School, for the education of the children of Hallow, is endowed with land to the amount of about £100 per annum. It is conducted principally on the national system, and under Diocesan inspection. Mr Richard Bullock, Master; Mrs. Jane Bullock, Mistress. Number of scholars – boys, 60; girls, 50. There is a Sunday school attached, attended by about 120 children.
Several sums of money have been left by benevolent individuals for the benefit of the poor of Hallow, which are dispensed by the proper authorities in accordance with the wishes of the donors.

DIRECTORY

Barr Mrs. Sophia, Hallow Mount
Bourne Rev. Robert Burr, M.A., Curate, Hallow Park
Peel Rev. Herbert Richard, B.A., Assistant Curate, Melbourne Cottage
Poole Mrs. Ann, Hallow Green
Pepys Rev. Herbert George, B.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Sharp Mr. Lewis
St. John Fleming, Esq., Magistrate, Henwick Grange
Taylor Charles, Esq., Frenchland Villa
Andrews William, miller and farmer, Woodhall Mill
Andrews Thomas, beer retailer, shopkeeper, and blacksmith, Royal Oak
Bark George, farmer, Shoulton
Brasier Samuel, carpenter
Browning Mary, farmer, Peachley
Bucknell John, farmer, Shoulton House
Chambers Richard, shoe maker
Chambers George, shoe maker
Collins William, tailor
Cope James, shopkeeper
Daniel Joseph, farmer, Brick Barn Farm, Broad Heath
Daniel John, beer retailer, Plough, Hallow Green
Dolphin Ann, farmer, New House, Peachley
Dowding John, farmer, Esbury
Farmer Benjamin, miller and farmer, Hallow Mill
Firkins William, farmer, Green Hill
Forty Joseph, builder
Godsall William, farmer, Peachley
Griffiths William, cider seller, Plough, Broad Heath
Hammond Samuel, shoe maker, Rose Cottage
Hill Jonathan, wheelwright and carpenter
Holland William, farmer, Peachley
Hotchkiss Samuel, farmer, Shoulton
Hughes Thomas, wheelwright and carpenter, Peachley
Jones Thomas, baker and shopkeeper
Jones John, shoe maker and shopkeeper
Jones Thomas, shoe maker
Knott Richard, shopkeeper
Lamb Thomas, mason
Lane George, shopkeeper
Layland William, tailor and woollen draper
Lewis Edmund, clerk to the Clerk of the Peace
Loxley James, shoe maker
Marks Susan, victualler, Crown
Marks Frederick, cooper
Merrell Anthony, farmer, Shoulton
Milton Thomas Martin, farmer, The Heath
Minors Daniel, Police Officer, Station
Munn Noel, farmer, The Elms
Nutt John, wheelwright, carpenter, and Parish Clerk
Parry James Prichard, victualler, Bell
Payne Edward, farmer, Well House
Poole Ann, grocer and provision dealer
Povey Thomas, farmer, Broad Heath
Powell James, shopkeeper
Pratt Charles, machine and drill proprietor
Pullen William, solicitor and farmer, Green St, and Worcester
Rastall John, blacksmith
Reynolds Richard, market gardener
Rimell William, farmer, Partridge Farm; also of Cullitors
Robert Josiah, shoe maker
Silvester Thomas L., farmer, The Hill
Silvester Sarah, farmer, The Hill
Sprague William, shopkeeper
Taylor Edmund, farmer, Peachley Court
Taylor Samuel, tailor and woollen draper
Tearne Thomas Edward M., farmer, Park Farm
Tongue Henry, butcher and farmer, Walnut House
Wells James, farmer, Wood Hall
Weston Mary, farmer, Shoulton
Woodward John, baker and shopkeeper
Young Richard, blacksmith
Post Office – Mr. R. Young, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 8 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Hallow Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Barber Stephen, farmer
Campbell – , esq.
Carey Ann, gentlewoman
Curzon Henry, farmer
Dolphin George, farmer
Everton Moses, farmer
Everton John, farmer
Fawkes Joseph, farmer
Ferkins William, farmer
Harrison Robert, farmer
Heath James, vict.
Hinchcliffe Geo., farmer
Holder James, farmer
Holland William, farmer
Holliman Thomas
James Henry, farmer
Knott William, tailor
Knott William, farmer
Lees Ralph, farmer
Lowick Samuel, farmer
Meats E., schoolmaster
Munn Edward, farmer
Paine Thomas, farmer
Palfrey Samuel, farmer
Pitt R. jun., farmer
Rider Thomas, farmer
Rimell Thomas, farmer
Rouse John, farmer
Rowe John, farmer
Salway Rev. Thomas
Timings Edward, farmer
Tomkins Mary, gent.

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Snowden Wm., Hallow, Worcestersh., builder & timber merch., June 22, 1830.
Wakefield John, Hallow, Worcestersh., machine maker & grocer, Jan. 23, 1835.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Martley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Worcester
  • Poor Law Union: Martley
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts