Hallow (with the Hamlets of Broad Heath and Shoulton) Billings Directory 1855

Hallow is very pleasantly situated, about 2½ miles from Worcester, on the road to Tenbury. Mr. Noake in his Rambler says, “the high-road from Worcester, to Hallow and Grimley, forms on of the finest natural terraces to be met with in this part of the country, looking down for several miles upon rich valley of the Severn, and commanding a bird’s-eye view of the city and its approaches;” in which remark we fully concur. The salubrity of this neighbourhood is very fine, the inhabitants living generally to a “ripe” old age.
Hallow Park is a very fine wooded estate, commanding a delightful view of the river Severn; the mansion is now the residence of the Rev. R. B. Bourne.
It appears form a chamber order book of the city of Worcester, bearing date 1575, that Queen Elizabeth chose this spot for hunting purposes, killing two bucks here during her visit to Worcester; on which occasion her Majesty’s horses and geldings, to the number of 1500, were pastured on Pitchcroft, and the local historian of the time observed: “Thanks be to God, amongst the said great number of horses and geldings, not one horse or gelding was eyther stolen, strayed away, or peryshd.”
The church, a neat building, containing nave and chancel, was re-built and enlarged in the year 1830. One half of the sittings are free, being a grant from the Incorporated Society. The eastern chancel window is of handsome painted glass, presented by candidates for holy orders. The monumental remains in the church are few, the principal of which are memorials to the families of Lygon, Hall, and Harrison. There is a railed tomb to the memory of Sir C. Bell, author of one of the Bridgewater Treatises, who was born at Edinburgh, and died at Hallow Park, in 1842. The living is annexed to Grimley. Rev. H. G. Pepys, B.A., Vicar; Rev. R. B. Bourne, M.A., Curate; Rev. H. R. Peel, B.A., Assistant Curate; Mr. John Nutt, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small Chapel of Ease at Broad Heath, in connection with the parish of Hallow, the interior of which is neatly fitted. Service – 3 p.m. The children of the Broad Heath National School respond. The Chapel, now belonging to the denomination of Independents, is a neat brick building, erected in 1831, and has undergone a thorough repair. A Sunday school is attached, which is conducted, as well as the public service, by Christian friends from Worcester. Service – 6 p.m.
The Free School, for the education of the children of Hallow, is endowed with land to the amount of about £100 per annum. It is conducted principally on the national system, and under Diocesan inspection. Mr Richard Bullock, Master; Mrs. Jane Bullock, Mistress. Number of scholars – boys, 60; girls, 50. There is a Sunday school attached, attended by about 120 children.
Several sums of money have been left by benevolent individuals for the benefit of the poor of Hallow, which are dispensed by the proper authorities in accordance with the wishes of the donors.

DIRECTORY

Barr Mrs. Sophia, Hallow Mount
Bourne Rev. Robert Burr, M.A., Curate, Hallow Park
Peel Rev. Herbert Richard, B.A., Assistant Curate, Melbourne Cottage
Poole Mrs. Ann, Hallow Green
Pepys Rev. Herbert George, B.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Sharp Mr. Lewis
St. John Fleming, Esq., Magistrate, Henwick Grange
Taylor Charles, Esq., Frenchland Villa
Andrews William, miller and farmer, Woodhall Mill
Andrews Thomas, beer retailer, shopkeeper, and blacksmith, Royal Oak
Bark George, farmer, Shoulton
Brasier Samuel, carpenter
Browning Mary, farmer, Peachley
Bucknell John, farmer, Shoulton House
Chambers Richard, shoe maker
Chambers George, shoe maker
Collins William, tailor
Cope James, shopkeeper
Daniel Joseph, farmer, Brick Barn Farm, Broad Heath
Daniel John, beer retailer, Plough, Hallow Green
Dolphin Ann, farmer, New House, Peachley
Dowding John, farmer, Esbury
Farmer Benjamin, miller and farmer, Hallow Mill
Firkins William, farmer, Green Hill
Forty Joseph, builder
Godsall William, farmer, Peachley
Griffiths William, cider seller, Plough, Broad Heath
Hammond Samuel, shoe maker, Rose Cottage
Hill Jonathan, wheelwright and carpenter
Holland William, farmer, Peachley
Hotchkiss Samuel, farmer, Shoulton
Hughes Thomas, wheelwright and carpenter, Peachley
Jones Thomas, baker and shopkeeper
Jones John, shoe maker and shopkeeper
Jones Thomas, shoe maker
Knott Richard, shopkeeper
Lamb Thomas, mason
Lane George, shopkeeper
Layland William, tailor and woollen draper
Lewis Edmund, clerk to the Clerk of the Peace
Loxley James, shoe maker
Marks Susan, victualler, Crown
Marks Frederick, cooper
Merrell Anthony, farmer, Shoulton
Milton Thomas Martin, farmer, The Heath
Minors Daniel, Police Officer, Station
Munn Noel, farmer, The Elms
Nutt John, wheelwright, carpenter, and Parish Clerk
Parry James Prichard, victualler, Bell
Payne Edward, farmer, Well House
Poole Ann, grocer and provision dealer
Povey Thomas, farmer, Broad Heath
Powell James, shopkeeper
Pratt Charles, machine and drill proprietor
Pullen William, solicitor and farmer, Green St, and Worcester
Rastall John, blacksmith
Reynolds Richard, market gardener
Rimell William, farmer, Partridge Farm; also of Cullitors
Robert Josiah, shoe maker
Silvester Thomas L., farmer, The Hill
Silvester Sarah, farmer, The Hill
Sprague William, shopkeeper
Taylor Edmund, farmer, Peachley Court
Taylor Samuel, tailor and woollen draper
Tearne Thomas Edward M., farmer, Park Farm
Tongue Henry, butcher and farmer, Walnut House
Wells James, farmer, Wood Hall
Weston Mary, farmer, Shoulton
Woodward John, baker and shopkeeper
Young Richard, blacksmith
Post Office – Mr. R. Young, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 8 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855