Great Hampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Little Hampton.

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1539

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Great Hampton

Historical Descriptions

Great Hampton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HAMPTON, or GREAT HAMPTON, a village and a parish in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands near the river Avon and the boundary with Gloucestershire, 1 mile SW of Evesham r. station; and has a post office under Evesham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Little Hampton, which contains Evesham workhouse. Acres, 1,670. Real property, £3,663. Pop., 513. Houses, 92. Much of the land is meadow. Vineyard hill, a short way north west of the village, commands a fine view. Market gardening is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £81. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is of the 14th century; has an embattled tower, of later date, rising from the junction of nave and chancel; and has also a fine stained glass window, in memorial of the construction of the splendid new bridge over the Avon at Evesham. A richly carved remnant of an ancient cross is in the churchyard. Charities, £150.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Hampton (Great) – a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, lower division, one mile S.W. from Evesham, and 96 from London; containing 67 inhabited houses. A mineral spa has lately been discovered here. (See Evesham). It is a perpetual curacy, Rev. H. P. Cooper, incumbent; in the patronage of Christ-Church College, Oxford. Population, 1801, 276 – 1811, 333 – 1821, 324.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Little Hampton

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Hampton (Little) – a hamlet in the above parish (Great Hampton), and adjoining thereto, in which the population is included.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley’s Directory of Great Hampton 1840 – Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Great Hampton (with the Hamlet of Little Hampton) Billings Directory 1855

Hampton, or Great Hampton, is a small village and parish about a mile S.W. from Evesham, on the road to Worcester. It contained in 1851 a population of 556 inhabitants, of whom 124 persons were in the Union, which belongs to the Evesham district.
On an eminence at a short distance from the village, called “Vineyard’s Hill”, an excellent view of Evesham, and the windings of the river Avon, may be obtained. When the Evesham abbey was in its prosperity, this neighbourhood was noted for its vineyards. There is a ferry here across the river Avon.
Little Hampton is a hamlet in the above parish. The population has been included in that of Hampton.
The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is situated upon an eminence near the road-side. It is a stone building, in the style of the fourteenth century, with a square turreted tower of a later date, containing a peal of four bells, and standing upon elegant pointed arches, at the junction of the nave and chancel. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. At the time our information was taken there was no appointed minister. Mr. Geo. Lovesey, Clerk. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a Small National School adjoining the church. Emily Bellamy, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 30. The Charities amount to rather more than £100, and are dispensed according to the trust deeds.

DIRECTORY

Lewis Mr. Richard
Lunn Mr. John
Lunn Mr. Stephen
Stokes Mr. John Allen, Hampton Lodge
Workman Benjamin, Esq., County Magistrate, Hampton House
Workman Henry, Esq., Mayor of Evesham
Dovey Thomas, victualler, Navigation, Little Hampton
Gould William, shopkeeper
Izod Nathaniel, land surveyor
Mansell John, farmer, Little Hampton
Meadows George, blacksmith
Panting Mrs. M., farmer
Roberts John, wheelwright
Sansom Mrs., farmer
Savage Thomas, farmer, Little Hampton
White Charles, farmer

Post Office – Mr. George Hemming, Sub-Postmaster. Despatch, 5 15 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Great Hampton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Amphlett John, farmer
Arkless Richard, farmer
Brown Henry, gent.
Carless Wm., weaver
Coombe Francis, farmer
Dicke(?) Samuel, farmer
Fletcher Arthur, farmer
Izod Matthew, farmer
Izod Lucy, gentlewoman
Loxley Mrs., gentlewoman
Lunn T & S farmers
Phillips William, gent.
Preedy William, gent.
Preedy Robert, gent.
Sansom John, farmer
Staite John, farmer
Thornett William, farmer
Wiltshire John, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Evesham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Evesham
  • Poor Law Union: Evesham
  • Hundred: Blackenhurst
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts