Flyford Flavell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. Peter
The earliest register is dated 1676.
Nonconformists in Flyford Flavell include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The parishes of Abberton, Flyford, Naunton Beauchamp, Grafton, Kington, and Dormston were formed into a school-board district October 28th, 1874. A board school was erected in 1877
Parishes adjacent to Flyford Flavell
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Flyford-Flavel, a parish in Pershore Registration District, Worcester; 3 ¾ miles E of Spetchley r. station, and 6 ½ NNE of Pershore. Post-town, Spetchley, under Worcester. Acres, 730. Real property, £845. Pop., 173. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. Remains of fossil shells are plentiful; and there is a medicinal spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. Patron, W. Laslett, Esq. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was restored in 1845.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Fliford-Flavel – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 8 ½ miles E. from Worcester, and 110 from London; containing 30 inhabited houses. Rev. Wm. Williams, incumbent; instituted 1793; patroness, Mrs. Sheldon. Population, 1801, 117 – 1811, 124 – 1821, 159.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Flyford Flavell Littleburys Directory 1879
Flavell derives its additional name of Flyford from a brook of that name, which also runs through Grafton Flyford; it is a small parish and village 9 miles E. of Worcester, on the road to Alcester; is in the eastern division of the county, and hundred of Upper Pershore; union, county court district, and petty sessional division of Pershore, polling district of Inkberrow, and highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £824; area of parish, 730 acres; population in 1861, 173; in 1871, 165, with 37 inhabited houses and 43 families or separate occupiers. William Laslett, Esq., of Abberton hall, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is sand and clay, abounding with fossil remains, shells, &c.; the chief crops are wheat, oats, and beans. There is a sulphur spring on one of the farms in the parish. The living is a rectory, in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester, and rural deanery of Pershore; value, £84, with residence; patron, William Laslett, Esq.; rector, Rev. Henry John Knight, B.A., Queen’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1862. The church (St. Peter’s) is a little Perpendicular structure, containing nothing noteworthy beyond a round-headed doorway, a part of the ancient rood-screen, a piscina in the nave, an octagonal font, a massive chest with two half-lids, &c. The earliest register is dated 1676. William Laslett, Esq., has recently conveyed to trustees a large landed estate at Hinton-on-the-Green, in Gloucestershire, a portion of the revenues to be applied towards the restoration or rebuilding of the parish church of Flyford Flavell. The parishes of Abberton, Flyford, Naunton Beauchamp, Grafton, Kington, and Dormstone were formed into a school-board district October 28th, 1874. A board school was erected in 1877 from the designs of Henry Rowe, Esq., architect, of Worcester. The school affords instruction to about 100 children.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive from Worcester about 11 a.m.; despatched thereto at 3.15 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Feckenham and Pershore are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Peter’s). – Rev. Henry John Knight, B.A., Rector; Messrs. T. Bluck and J. Bluck, Churchwardens; E. Skinner, Parish Clerk.
Board School (boys and girls). – Mr. John Woodward, Master.
Carrier to Worcester. – John Cresswell, on Saturdays; stops at the Coventry Arms Inn, Friar street; returns at 4 p.m.
Holdsworth Mrs., Woodbine cottage
Knight Rev. Henry John, B.A. (rector of Flyford Flavell and of Abberton), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bluck John, farmer, Baynhall farm
Bluck John, cooper
Bluck Thomas, cooper and farmer
Bluck Thomas, bricklayer
Careless Samuel, farmer, Rectory farm; res., Inkberrow
Clark Thomas, Boot Inn, and shopkeeper
Cresswell Jno., fmr. & carrier, Church fm.
Cresswell Robert, farmer
Cresswell Shadrach, carpenter
Cresswell Thomas, farmer
Ewins Edwin George, boot and shoe maker, Portway house
Gilbert Benjamin, farmer
Griffin John, boot and shoe maker
Laight John, farmer, Flyford field
Perkins Joseph, farmer, New house; res., Astwood Bank, Redditch
Skinner Edward, carpenter and parish clk.
Smith George & John, farmers
Tandy Geo., bricklayer, &c., Church close
Tandy H., boot and shoe ma., Church close
Weston Thomas, beer retailer and farmer
Woodward John, schoolmaster
Young William, farmer
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Flyford Flavell Billings Directory 1855
Flyford Flavel, formerly called Flabel, is pleasantly situated about 9 miles E. from Worcester, and about 8 ½ S.W. from Alcester. It contained in 1851 a population of 151 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a plain, ancient edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, and western square tower. The chancel was restored about nine years ago, and the east window, of stained glass, was inserted. The nave contains an ancient piscina; there is also a recess in the south wall of the chancel. The living is a Rectory, in the gift of W. Laslett, Esq. Rev. Francis Best, B.A., Rector; Mr. Edward Skinner, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Best Rev. Francis, B.A., Rector of Flyford and Abberton, Rectory
Beck Thomas, blacksmith
Clark Thomas, victualler, steam machine proprietor, wheelwright and shopkeeper, Boot Inn and Halfway House
Cull Richard, farmer
Ewins William, shoe maker, Portway House
Griffin Theophinia, farmer, Church Farm
Laight John, farmer and Constable
Laight Richard, farmer
Skinner Edward, carpenter and Parish Clerk
Smith Henry, farmer, The Hill
Smith Henry, farmer
Smith John Dyke, machine proprietor
Tandy Henry, shoe maker
Unton John, farmer
Weston Thomas, farmer
Young William, mason
Carrier – Worcester, Handy, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Flyford Flavell Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Flyford Flavell, 7 miles from Worcester, containing 25 houses, and 117 inhabitants.
Baker Robert, farmer
Barn John, blacksmith
Blundall Thomas, farmer
Cowley William, farmer
Gore George, farmer
Grizzle William, farmer
Laight John, farmer
Lane Thomas, farmer
Smith George, farmer
Stephens Wm., farmer
Young William, farmer
Young Anthony, vict.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court district: Pershore
- Petty Sessional Division: Pershore
- Polling District: Inkberrow
- Highway District: Upton Snodsbury