Fladbury

Photo of St. John the Baptist's church, Fladbury. by Henry Drury 2006.

Fladbury Worcestershire Genealogy & Family History

Fladbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Chapelries of Fladbury: ThrockmortonWyre Piddle and Stock and Bradley

Other places in the parish include: Ab Lench, Abbots Lench, Hob Lench, and Hill and Moor.

Church: St. John the Baptist

Parish Records begin: 1560

Parishes adjacent to Fladbury

  • Pinvin
  • Wick
  • Bishampton
  • Rous Lench
  • Pershore St Andrew with Pershore Holy Cross
  • Bricklehampton
  • Cropthorne
  • Throckmorton
  • Abberton
  • Church Lench
  • Norton and Lenchwick

Historical Descriptions

Fladbury

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Fladbury, a parish in the middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county of Worcester, 4 miles (E.) from Pershore, comprising the chapelries of Stock with Bradley, Throckmorton, and Wyre-Piddle ; the township of Hill with Moor, and the hamlet of Hob-Lench, otherwise Abbots-Lench, and containing 1387 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the rector, rated in the king’s books at £81. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. In Ethelred‘s reign, a society of religious persons was established here subordinate to the church of Worcester. The navigable river Avon has a ferry over it at this place. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Fladbury – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles N.W. from Evesham, and 101 from London; containing 80 inhabited houses. It is a very pleasant village, near the river Avon, and has several handsome brick-built houses. The church is in excellent repair, and the interior is neatly fitted up. The living is a rectory; Rev. Martin Stafford Smith, incumbent; instituted 1793; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. Bradley, Thogmorton [sic], and Wyre-Piddle, are chapelries to this parish. Population, 1801, 424 – 1811, 435 – 1821, 451. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Ab Lench

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Abbots-Lench, a hamlet in the parish of Fladbury, Worcester. Acres, 870. Pop. 66. Houses, 13.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hob-Linch [sic], or Abbe-Lench [sic], a hamlet in Fladbury parish, county of Worcester; 5½ miles north east by north of Pershore. Acres 770. Houses 20. A. P. £655. Pop., in 1801, 89 ; in 1831, 116. Poor rates, in 1838, £76 1s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Hill and Moor

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hill and Moor, a township in Fladbury parish, county of Worcester; 3 miles north-east of Pershore, north of the river Avon. Acres 1,940. Houses 66. A. P. £1,405. Pop., in 1801, 235; in 1831, 304. Poor rates, in 1838, £37 10s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Moore, co. Worcester.

P. T. Pershore (106) 2 m. E b N. Pop. with Hill township, 295.

A township in the parish of Fladbury and middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Hill – a hamlet in the parish of Fladbury, and hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 3 miles E.S.E. from Pershore, and 106 from London; containing 61 houses. Population, including the hamlet of Moor, 1801, 235 – 1811, 247 – 1821, 295.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Hob Lench

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Hob-Lench – a hamlet in the parish of Church-Lench, Hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 6 miles N. from Evesham, and 103 from London; containing 20 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 89 – 1811, no return – 1821, 102.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Photographs

Fladbury, Worcestershire

Directories

Fladbury Littleburys Directory 1879
Fladbury (with the Chapelries of Stock and Bradley, Throckmorton, and Wyre Piddle; and the Hamlets of Hill and Moor, and Abbots Lench, or Hob Lench) Billings Directory 1855
Fladbury Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Hill and Moore Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Hob Lench Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Pershore
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Fladbury
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Pershore
  • Poor Law Union: Pershore
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury