Finstall, originally a chapelry to Stoke Prior, was formed into a new district in 1868.
Parish church: St. Godwald
Finstall, originally a chapelry to Stoke Prior, was formed into a new district in 1868; it is distant nearly 2 miles E. from the town of Bromsgrove, and had a population in 1871 of 618, with 130 inhabited houses. The Bromsgrove railway station and the works of the Midland Railway Company are in this parish. It is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire; union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division of Bromsgrove. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is clayey, producing wheat, barley, roots, and vegetables. The living is a vicarage in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; value, £294; patron, the vicar of Stoke Prior; vicar, Rev. Joseph Henry Bainbrigge, B.A., Wadham College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1869. The church (St. Godwald’s) occupies the site of an ancient cell of the Monastery of Worcester, being described in old books as the “chapel or cell of St. Godwald.” It also possessed the right of burial. The church was rebuilt in 1773 in the plainest manner. There must have been a chapel there, however, from early times, as in an “Ordinatio vicarie de Stoke Prioris,” dated 1390, it is stipulated that the vicar should receive the offerings made there: “Item, percipient oblations factas in capella sancti Godwali.” There is a school for boys and girls. Finstall House, the seat of William Edward Everitt, Esq., J.P., stands in a beautiful park. Rigby Hall is the residence of Robert Smallwood, Esq., J.P., and Grimley Hall, that of Lieut.-Colonel James Baker. (Further details of this parish will be found under the head of Stoke Prior.)
Postal Regulations. – Mrs. Mary Bevan, Sub-Postmistress. Letters are received through Bromsgrove, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Godwald’s). – Rev. Joseph Henry Bainbrigge, B.A., Vicar; Messrs. Henry Swinson and John Fetherston, Churchwardens; George Wild, Parish Clerk.
Infant School (mixed). – Miss C. M. Harborne, Mistress.
Bromsgrove Railway Station. – Mr. William Gimson, Station Master.
Allsebrook Mr., Slideslow
Bainbrigge Rev. Joseph Henry, B.A. (vicar), St. Godwald’s
Baker Lieut.-Colonel James, Grimley hall
Everitt Wm. E., Esq., J.P., Finstall house
Martin Mr. Joseph, Aston fields
Penn Miss, Newton
Perkins Mrs. E., The Oakalls
Rogers Miss, Broom house
Smallwood Robert, Esq., J.P., Rigby hall
Swinson Henry, Esq., Cross brooks
Archer Frederick, farm bailiff, Slideslow
Avery W. H., farmer
Bevan Mrs. Mary, sub-postmistress
Bradshaw Wm., railway clerk, Malvern pl.
Brooke William, farmer, Slideslow; res., Bromsgrove
Buckley Mrs. C., shopkeeper, Rose cot.
Clarke William Thomas, family grocer, tea dealer, and provision merchant, agent for the Star life assurance society; Suburban tea stores, Aston house, Railway station (see Bromsgrove advts. page 4)
Cund Jeremiah, wheelwright
Davenport Henry, superintendent of carriage department, Bromsgrove station
Davis Chas., coml.. clerk, Pear-tree villas
Fetherston John, farmer, Finstall farm
Gimson William, station master and goods manager, Bromsgrove railway station
Griffin Miss Jane, Dragoon Inn and Posting House, near Bromsgrove station
Guise Joseph, farmer, Caspage farm
Harvey Mrs., farmer, Grimley
Heath George, farmer, Lower Gambolds
Heydon Thomas, gardener, Finstall vale
Jones Mrs. J., farmer, Stoke court
Newman Mrs. Sarah, draper, hosier, and haberdasher, Perseverance house, Charford road
Owen George, farmer, Broome house; res., Worcester street, Bromsgrove
Partridge John, farmer, Stoke cross
Price Joseph Thomas, Cross Inn
Quinny George, farmer, Finch end
Robinson Samuel, dairyman, Stone house
Russon Joseph, farmer, Warwick hall
Sanders Thos., Half-Way House, and frmr.
Stalvies John, superintendent of locomotive department, Bromsgrove station
Stickley Thos., farmer, Upper Gambolds
Stokes James, blacksmith
Stokes Miss J., ladies’ school, Ford house
Wheelock Henry, colliery agent, Peartree villas
Wild George, parish clerk, Finch end
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.