Evenlode, Worcestershire Family History Guide

Evenlode is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1561

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Evenlode

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EVENLODE, a parish in the district of Stow-on-the-Wold, and county of Worcester; on the river Evenlode near its source, and contiguous to the West Midland railway and to the boundary with Gloucestershire, 3½ miles SSE of Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Post town, Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 1,563. Real property, £2,876. Pop., 276. Houses, 69. The property is much subdivided. The manor was known at Domesday as Eunilade, and belonged to Worcester church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £396. Patron, Mrs. Ann James. The church is ancient but good; and there are charities £10.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Evenlode, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Stow-on-the-Wold, county of Worcester, but located in the upper division of the hund. of Westminster, county of Gloucester; 4 miles east of Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £11 11s. 8d.; gross income £420. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £44 15s. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs. James. Here is a daily school. Charities, in 1832, £10 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £155 1s. Acres 1,560. Houses 65. A.P. £3,276. Pop., in 1801, 227; in 1831, 312.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Evenload – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division, 3 miles E. from Moreton-in-the-Marsh, and 81 from London, surrounded by Gloucestershire; containing 42 inhabited houses. It is a rectory, in the Archdeaconry of Gloucester; Rev. William James, incumbent; instituted 1805; patron George W. Perrott, Esq. Population, 1801, 227 – 1811, 273 – 1821, 297.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley's Directory of Evenlode 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Evenlode Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Evenlode is a township, parish and small village, 3 miles south-east from Moreton-in-Marsh railway station, and 3 south-west from Stow-on-the-Wold, in Oswaldslowe Hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold Union, in the archdeaconry and bishopric of Worcester, situated on the small river Evenlode, from which it derives its name.  The Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton railway passes through the parish.  The church of St. Edward is an old stone building, in the early Norman style, with square tower containing 5 bells.  The living is a rectory, worth £500, yearly, with residence, including 276 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Mrs. Ann James; the Rev. Charles James, B.A., is the incumbent.  There is a National school for boys and girls.  The population, in 1851, was 312, and the acreage is 1,562.  The soil is oolite, marlstone and lias clay.  Whitmore Jones, Esq., is lord of the manor; the Rev. C. James is the chief landowner.  There are a few small charities.

James Rev. Charles, B.A. (rector)

James Mrs.

Traders
Bartlett George, shopkeeper
Bartlett James, tailor
Bartlett John, carpenter
Bartlett Thomas, carpenter
Betts Robert, beer retailer
Breakspere John, blacksmith
Bryan George, farmer
Cluff Thomas, farmer
Fletcher John, farmer
Gillett William, farmer
Harrison Isaac, farmer
Holtam George, farmer
Kibble Richard, farmer
Restell George, shopkeeper
Tidmarsh Samuel, farmer

Letters through Moreton-in-Marsh.  The nearest money order offices are at Moreton-in-Marsh and Stow.

National School, Mrs. Eliza Hornsby, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Evenlode Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Evenlode is a small parish situate in a detached part of the county, about 3 miles from Moreton-in-the-Marsh, with a population in 1851 of 312 inhabitants.
The Church is a small, plain erection, dedicated to St. Edward. Rev. Charles James, Vicar; Mr. William Bryan, Clerk. Service - 10 a.m. and 2 30 p.m.

DIRECTORY

James Mrs. A.
James Rev. Charles, Vicar, Vicarage
Bartleet George, shopkeeper
Bartleet James, tailor
Bartleet John, carpenter
Bartleet Thomas, farmer
Betts Robert, victualler
Breakspeare John, blacksmith
Bryan George, farmer
Cluff Thomas, farmer
Fletcher John, farmer
Gillett William, farmer
Harrison Isaac, farmer
Holtham George, farmer
Kibble Richard, farmer
Newman George, mason
Restall George, shopkeeper
Tidmarsh Samuel, farmer
Post Office - Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 6 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Blockley
  • Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury