Elmbridge was a chapelry of Dodderhill Ancient Parish in Worcestershire. The chapel of Elmbridge existed in 1274–5. It remained a chapelry of Dodderhill until 1877, when it was severed from the mother church and constituted a separate benefice. The church was entirely rebuilt in 1872 in the 13th-century style with the exception of the north arcade of the nave, the columns and responds of which, dating from about 1200, have been preserved in their original positions.
Elmbridge parish includes: Cutnall Green (partly in this parish and partly in Elmley Lovett), Gateley, Purshall, Pursell, or Pursall Green.
Parish Church: St. Mary
The earliest register is dated 1570. The registers are as follows:
(i) all entries 1570 to 1645 (with a gap from 1626 to 1631), fragmentary 1645 to 1663 and all entries 1663 to 1719;
(ii) all entries 1720 to 1754, baptisms and burials to 1771;
(iii) marriages 1755 to 1812;
(iv) baptisms and burials 1773 to 1812.
Parishes adjacent to Elmbridge
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELMBRIDGE, a chapelry in Dodderhill parish, Worcester; near the Oxford and Wolverhampton railway, 3¾ miles SW of Hartlebury Junction r. station, and 3¾ N of Droitwich. Post town, Droitwich. Real property, £3,078. Pop., 391. Houses, 101. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Dodderhill, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is ancient but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
ELMBRIDGE THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851
Elmbridge, a chapelry in the parish of Dodderhill, county of Worcester; 4 miles north of Droitwich; in the neighbourhood of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Dodderhill. Here is a Sunday school, with a lending library attached. See Elmley-Lovett Acreage with the parish. Houses 73. A. P. £2,231. Pop., in 1801, 296; in 1831, 334. Poor rates, in 1838, £116 9s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
ELMBRIDGE LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845
Elmbridge, a chapelry, in the parish of Dodderhill, union of Droitwich, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 2 ¾ miles (N.) from Droitwich; containing 384 inhabitants. It consists of 1577 acres of a rich and productive soil, and is intersected at the west end by the road from Droitwich to Kidderminster. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. The great tithes belong to the Vicar of Dodderhill.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
ELMBRIDGE WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822
Elmbridge – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Dodderhill, hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 3 miles N. from Droitwich, and 121 from London; containing 74 inhabited houses. The chapel has lately been repaired at a considerable expense, and the interior is neatly fitted up. Population, 1801, 296 – 1811, 322 – 1821, 336.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1870
Cutnal-Green, a place 3 miles from Droitwich, in Worcestershire; with a post-office under Droitwich.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Elmbridge 1570 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Note. – The Elmbridge Registers commence in 1570.
Vol. I measures 13 ¾ in. by 6 in., and consists of 35 parchment leaves recently rebound, containing the Baptisms, Burials, and Marriages up to the end of 1719.
Vol. II (15 in. by 9 ¼ in.) has 18 parchment leaves strongly bound, and contains the Baptisms and Burials from the commencement of 1720 to the end of 1772, and the Marriages from 1720 to the end of 1754.
Vol. III (15 ¼ in. by 10 in.) contains the Marriages from 1755 to the end of 1813.
Vol. IV (13 in. by 8 ¼ in). contains the Baptisms and Burials from 1773 to the end of 1812.
These extracts have been made by the Rev. J. H. L. Booker, Vicar of Elmbridge, and are now printed under his supervision, after the proofs have been compared by him with the original Register.
Elmbridge Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879
Elmbridge, originally written Elmerige, is distant 4 miles N. of Droitwich, 4 S.W. of Bromsgrove, and 10 N. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county, and hundred of Upper Halfshire; in the parliamentary borough, union, county court district, and petty sessional division of Droitwich; annual rateable value, £3,608; area of parish, 1,694 acres, 2 roods, 23 perches; population in 1861, 391; in 1871, 477; inhabited houses, 95; families or separate occupiers, 114. The Executors of the late Edward Penrice, Esq., are lords of the manor, and the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot has also some manorial rights and land here. The other principal landowners are William Orme Foster, Esq., the Right Hon. Lord Hampton, John Joseph Wilson, Esq., Mr. Harvey Williams, and Mr. Henry Partington. The soil is a strong loam and marl; chief crops, wheat and beans. Hampton brook runs through the parish; the land is rather hilly. Elmbridge is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich. The chapelry has been separated from the vicarage of Dodderhill and constituted a perpetual curacy, with an endowment of £214 17s. 3d. tithe commutation rent-charge; patron, John Corbett, Esq., M.P.; vicar, Rev. Henry Nicholson, M.A., Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who resides at Dodderhill vicarage. The earliest register is dated 1570. The church is situated on an eminence, and is an old stone building, with nave, chancel, north aisle, and bell turret; it underwent restoration in 1851 and 1872, the latter was carried out by Mr. Forsyth, of Worcester. The east window is of stained glass by Hughes & Ward, of London. In the north wall is an ancient brass, dated 1752, to the memory of John Danet, Esq. of Elmbridge hall, a descendant of the ancient family of the Danets of Leicestershire. There is also a monument dated 1674 to the Purshall family. The rent of ten acres of land, supposed to have been derived from the Danet family, is applied to the repairs of the church. William Norris, gentleman, of this chapelry, in 1702, erected a charity school at Cutnal green (in Elmley Lovett parish), for the education of fifteen children at Elmbridge, and endowed the same with £11 yearly. The endowment is now applied to the district school for this and adjoining parishes. Gateley is one mile N.W.; Purshall, Pursell, or Pursall Green contains 24a. 3r. 14p. of waste land; Cutnal Green is partly in this parish and partly in Elmley Lovett.
Postal Regulations. – Joseph Yeates, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Droitwich about 8 a.m. Droitwich is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church. – Rev. Henry Nicholson, M.A., Perpetual Curate; Rev. Arthur Charles Dyer, B.A., Curate; Henry Massey, parish Clerk.
Assistant Overseer. – Mr. Robert Paul Greenhill.
Carrier to Kidderminster. – William Jelf, from Cutnal green, on Thursdays.
Dyer Rev. Arthur Charles, B.A. (curate)
Rees Mr. Thomas Nichols, Apsley house, Cutnal green
Williams Mr. Harvey, Greenfield house
Agricultural & Commercial.
Bellamy Thomas, farmer, Wormsfield
Bryney John, farm bailiff to John Wilson, Esq., Gateley farm
Cartwright George, beer retailer (Live and Let Live), Cutnal green
Edwards Edward, farmer, Hill farm
Ellery William, cot. farmer, Radnall fm.
Farley John, shopkeeper, Cutnal green
Godwin William, farmer, Pursell green
Greaves John, farmer, Broad common
Greenhill Robert Paul, farmer and assistant overseer, Bryan’s green
Griffin George, wheelwright, Pursell grn.
Holmes Mrs. Mary, cot. farmer, Chapel fm.
Hughes Frederick, beer retailer (New Inn), Cutnal green
Jelf William, builder, wheelwright, and carrier, Cutnal green
Jackson Thomas, jun., farmer, Bryan’s gn.
Lane Mrs., farmer, Addis farm
Langley William, miller, Elmbridge mill
Massey Henry, parish clerk
Newry John, cottage farmer
Nickless Mrs. Ann, cot. farmer, Pursell gn.
Nickless Edwin, farmer, Pursell green
Norton Mrs. Elizth., farmer, Holloway fm.
Partington Henry, farmer, Pursell hall
Partridge Joseph, cottage farmer
Stokes Thomas, blacksmith
White Mrs. Jane, farmer, Elmbridge gn.
Wilson John Joseph, farmer, Cashes farm and Hollixy farm; res., The Mordaunts, Crowle, near Worcester
Wilson John, farmer, Gateley farm
Wilson William, farmer, New house
Winnall John, farmer, New House farm
Winnall Thomas, farmer, Blindfields
Winnall William, farmer, Broad lane
Wright Joseph, wheelwright, &c., Broad common
Yardley Samuel, farmer, Pursell green
Yeates Joseph, boot and shoe maker and sub-postmaster, Post office
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Elmbridge Worcestershire 1855 Directory Listing
Lea Mr. Joseph Henry, New House
Baynton Daniel, farmer, Purshall Green
Birchall William, farmer, Gately
Broad Thomas, beer retailer, Live and Let Live, Cutland Green
Clarke George, wheelwright and carpenter
Greenhill Robert, farmer
Harris John, farmer, Elmbridge Green
Harris John G., miller, Elmbridge Mill
Holmes John, farmer, Chapel Farm; also of Withy Furlongs and Colly Pitts
Hooman Mary, farmer, Holloway
Jackson Thomas, farmer, Cashies
Lampill Thomas, beer retailer, New Inn
Lilly Joseph, shoe maker
Mence John, farmer, Addis’s
Richards Augustus, shoe maker
Rowlands George, farmer, Purshall Green
Stokes William, victualler and blacksmith, Horse Shoe
Sturkey Thomas, farmer, Purshall Green
Watkins Mary, farmer, Purshall Hall
Williams Richard, farmer, New House
Winnall John, farmer, Cutland Green
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Notes: Sturkey is not an error as this is the spelling of the name in the directory. Cutland Green is probably now Cutnall Green. Cashies is probably now Cashes. There is still a Farm called Addis, and there is still a pub in Cutnall Green called the Live and Let Live.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Droitwich
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Droitwich
- Petty Sessional Division: Droitwich