Eckington, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Pershore, county of Worcester; 3½ miles south-south-west of Pershore; bounded on the north and west by the river Avon, and close upon the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd, and dio. of Worcester; rated at £5 1s. 8d.; gross income £149. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Westminster. All tithes, moduses, &c, the property of the dean and chapter of Westminster, vicar, and lord of the manor, were commuted in 1810. Here are 3 daily schools. Charities, in 1830, £2 3s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £168 6s. Acres 2,260. Houses 146. A.P. £4,151. Pop., in 1801, 550; in 1831, 700.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Eckington – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 4 miles S.W. from Pershore, and 105 from London; containing 109 inhabited houses; situate on the banks of the river Avon, over which is a good bridge, kept in repair by the inhabitants. The living is a vicarage; the Rev. John Ashley, incumbent; instituted 1812; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Population, 1801, 550 – 1811, 610 – 1821, 668.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Nafford, a hamlet in Eckington parish, Worcester; 3½ miles SSW of Pershore. It was once a parish; and it had a church, which long ago was destroyed.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Eckington is a village and parish on the banks of the Avon, which is here crossed by an ancient stone bridge; is 6 ½ miles N. of Tewkesbury, 4 S.S.W. of Pershore, and 9 S. of Worcester; it has a station on the Birmingham and Bristol branch of the Midland railway; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Pershore; union, county court district, and petty sessional division of Pershore; polling district of Bredon; annual rateable value, £5,441; area of the parish, 2,260 acres; population in 1861, 748; in 1871, 709, with 167 inhabited houses, and 170 families or separate occupiers. William Hanford Flood, Esq., who is lord of the manor, W. D. Amery, Esq., Messrs. Lucas, Holland, Parish, Gibbs, Smithin, and others, are owners of the soil. The land is chiefly meadow and pasture, with a portion in garden cultivation; and orchards and fruit gardens adorn this pretty village. Eckington is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Pershore; living, a vicarage, value £228, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster; vicar, Rev. William Ismay, M.A., Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1877. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and square embattled tower containing six bells. It has real and some imitative Norman work; interesting remains of the Decorated period, a cylindrical font, a monument to the Hanford family dated 1616, &c. The earliest register is dated 1678. The national school was erected in 1860 at a cost of £939 for the accommodation of about 120 children. The principal charity belonging to the parish is the interest of £100 left by the late Mr. Joseph Crump to the parish school in 1864. There is also a charity realising about £60 per annum directed to be spent in the repair, &c., of the parish church and bridge. The Baptists have a chapel in the village, built by the late Benjamin Risdon, Esq., of Birlingham, in the year 1840. Woollas Hall, the seat of William Hanford Flood, Esq., J.P., D.L., is about 2 miles S. of the village, and pleasantly situate on the side of Bredon hill. This mansion has been in the possession of the Hanford family since the reign of Elizabeth. A stone in the front bears the date of 1611, but the back part is of a much earlier period. In the spacious hall are some beautiful specimens of antique furniture, portraits of eminent personages, including Prince Rupert, Cromwell, King Charles, &c.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Thomas Hopkins Meakins, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Pershore at 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.45 p.m. Money-orders are granted and paid, and post-office savings-bank business transacted. Pershore is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (Holy Trinity). – Rev. William Ismay, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. John Parish and Thomas Phipps, Churchwardens; George Lewis, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Mrs. Powell, Mistress.
Baptist Chapel. – Rev. Walter Wheeler, Minister.
Registrar of Births and Deaths and Relieving Officer for Eckington District. – Mr. Alfred White, Woodbine cottage.
Railway Station (Midland). – William Bromage, Station Master.
Flood William Hanford, Esq., J.P., D.L., Woollas hall
Freer Mrs., Manor house
Gibbs Mr. Philip Henry
Hopkins Mr. Wm. Richard, Clytha cot.
Ismay Rev. William, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Jelf The Misses
Leonard Miss Lucy
Phelps Mr. George
Phipps Thomas, Esq.
Ricketts Mrs. S., Napleton cottage
Wheeler Rev. Walter (Baptist)
Bayliss Miss Hannah, shopkeeper
Berwick George, blacksmith
Bromage W., station master, Railway sta.
Brown Edward, farmer
Cooper Mrs., dressmaker
Cooper William, coal merchant, boat owner, &c., Woodbine cottage
Cull Geo., plumber, glazier, and painter
Davis Stephen, farmer, Woollas hill and Lower End farms
Day Henry, horse dealer
Diaper Alfred, market gardener
Diaper Henry, market gardener and beer retailer
Diaper William, market gardener
Driver John, market gardener
Firkins Jos., butcher and market grdnr.
Glanville Henry, market gardener
Glover John, baker, grocer, and draper
Hawker Abel William, market gardener
Hinett – , horse breaker
Holland Joseph, farmer, Eckington fields
James George, coal agent
Jones Chas. and John, market gardeners
Jones James, shopkeeper and beer retailer (Anchor), and farmer
Jones Mrs., draper and dressmaker
Jones William, market gardener
Lewis Charles, boot and shoe maker
Lewis George, parish clerk & bootmaker
Loxley William, horse dlr., Woodbine cot.
Martin Charles, tailor
Meakins Thomas Hopkins, grocer, druggist, and sub-postmaster, Post office
Miles John, grocer, prov. Dlr., & blksmith.
Parish John, farmer, Court close
Peacey Christopher, farmer, Avon cottage
Powell Mrs., schoolmistress, School ho.
Reece Mrs. Elizabeth, Bell Inn, Church street
Roberts Edward, tailor
Shilton Joseph, coal dealer, &c.
Smith Herbert H., cabinet maker and harmonium manufacturer, Church St.
Sutton William, market gardener and farmer
Taylor Job, basket carriage body maker and basket and pot hamper manufacturer
Thornton William Vincent, baker, flour and meal factor, Church street
Wall John, beer retailer
Watson George, Crown Inn
Welsh George, tailor
Welsh – , carpenter and wheelwright
White Alfred, relieving officer and registrar of births and deaths for Eckington district.
White John, market grdnr., Upper end
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Allen R, farmer, Fields farm
Bagshaw Mrs, farmer, Court Close farm
Baylis Miss H, grocer
Berwick G, general smith, Jarvis st
Brown W, farmer, Upper End
Crown Inn, Church st – A L Watson
Davis F, farmer, Woolas hill
Day H, horse dealer, Elm House
Dee W J, farmer, Woolas hill
Firkins J, butcher and market gardener
FIRKINS F W, grocer and provision dealer, Church Street Post Office. All orders promptly attended to
Glanville H, market gardener
Groves R and J, market gardeners
Humphries E, artist, Gainsboro’ house
Jones Mrs, draper
Jones J, market gardener
Miles J, general smith, Church st
SMITH H H, builder and cabinet maker, undertaker, etc.
Snowsell E, miller, Nafford mill
Taylor E, grocer, Church st
Thornton W V, baker, Church st
Usher and Co, coal merchants, Railway wharf
Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Worcestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham.
Eckington is a village and parish, situate on the banks of the river Avon. There is a station here belonging to the Bristol branch of the Midland Railway. Eckington is distant 3 ½ miles S.S.W. from Pershore, and 6 ½ miles N. from Tewkesbury, and contained in 1851 a population of 755 inhabitants.
The chief object of interest in this locality is the picturesque seat of C. J. Hanford, Esq., Lord of the Manor; it is a very old substantial building, displaying traces of very great antiquity. A stone in the front bears the dare of 1611, but the back part is of a much earlier period. In the spacious hall are some beautiful specimens of antique furniture, portraits of eminent personages, including Prince Rupert, Cromwell, King Charles, &c. The mansion is pleasantly situated upon the side of the Bredon Hill, and has been in the possession of the Hanford family since the reign of Elizabeth.
The Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a stone structure, with massive square embattled tower, containing a fine peal of six bells. It is in a mixed style of architecture, and has within the last few years undergone extensive repairs and alterations. The living is a Vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Rev. James Irwin, Vicar; Mr. Joseph Bushell, Clerk. Service - 10 45 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The Baptist Chapel is a small brick building. No stated minister. Service - 2 30 and 6 30 p.m. The Parochial Schools are supported by a small endowment, contributions, and the children’s payments. Mrs. Nicholls, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 45.
Hanford C. J., Esq., Magistrate, Wollas Hill Hall
Irwin Rev. James, Vicar, Vicarage
Wade Mr. William
Attwood Edmund, farmer, Upper End
Baysand Misses Ann and Mary, ladies academy
Bright Samuel, wheelwright
Broomhall Edmund, butcher
Bushell Joseph, Parish Clerk
Bushell Thomas, farmer
Bushell William, victualler, Bell
Crump Joseph, farmer, Wollas Hill Farm
Davies Stephen, farmer, Wollas Hill
Day William, horse dealer
Diaper Henry, market gardener and seedsman
Firkins James, market gardener and seedsman
Fowler Charles, boot and shoe maker
Frost George, victualler and shopkeeper, Crown
Gittus Joseph, boot and shoe maker
Glover John, carrier
Goddard John, farmer
Gottwaltz Frederick, accountant
Harris Samuel, wheelwright
Harris William, farmer
Jones James, shopkeeper
Leonard Susannah, Postmistress
Lewis Charles, shoe maker
Martin Charles, beer retailer and tailor, Golden Cross
Miles John, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Newman Eliza, farmer, Lower End Farm
Parish John, farmer, Close Court
Perkes William, Inland Revenue Officer
Phelps George, market gardener and seedsman
Pitcher Charles, market gardener and seedsman
Reece William, baker
Roberts Benjamin, market gardener and seedsman
Shepherd William, farmer, Upper End House
Shilton Joseph, Station Master
Smith Herbert H., cabinet maker and carpenter
Sutton William, carrier to Gloucester
Tustin Alfred R., cooper
Vernon William, blacksmith
White George, farmer, Eckington Field Farm
White john, maltster and baker
White Thomas, builder and shopkeeper
Post Office - Susannah Leonard, Sub-Postmistress. Delivery, 10 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.
Carrier - To Gloucester, Sutton William; time according to circumstances. To Worcester, Glover, Sat., 7 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855