Eckington Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Eckington is a village and parish, situate on the banks of the river Avon. There is a station here belonging to the Bristol branch of the Midland Railway. Eckington is distant 3 ½ miles S.S.W. from Pershore, and 6 ½ miles N. from Tewkesbury, and contained in 1851 a population of 755 inhabitants.
The chief object of interest in this locality is the picturesque seat of C. J. Hanford, Esq., Lord of the Manor; it is a very old substantial building, displaying traces of very great antiquity. A stone in the front bears the dare of 1611, but the back part is of a much earlier period. In the spacious hall are some beautiful specimens of antique furniture, portraits of eminent personages, including Prince Rupert, Cromwell, King Charles, &c. The mansion is pleasantly situated upon the side of the Bredon Hill, and has been in the possession of the Hanford family since the reign of Elizabeth.
The Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a stone structure, with massive square embattled tower, containing a fine peal of six bells. It is in a mixed style of architecture, and has within the last few years undergone extensive repairs and alterations. The living is a Vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Rev. James Irwin, Vicar; Mr. Joseph Bushell, Clerk. Service - 10 45 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The Baptist Chapel is a small brick building. No stated minister. Service - 2 30 and 6 30 p.m. The Parochial Schools are supported by a small endowment, contributions, and the children’s payments. Mrs. Nicholls, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 45.
DIRECTORY
Chandler Miss
Hanford C. J., Esq., Magistrate, Wollas Hill Hall
Irwin Rev. James, Vicar, Vicarage
Wade Mr. William
Attwood Edmund, farmer, Upper End
Baysand Misses Ann and Mary, ladies academy
Bright Samuel, wheelwright
Broomhall Edmund, butcher
Bushell Joseph, Parish Clerk
Bushell Thomas, farmer
Bushell William, victualler, Bell
Crump Joseph, farmer, Wollas Hill Farm
Davies Stephen, farmer, Wollas Hill
Day William, horse dealer
Diaper Henry, market gardener and seedsman
Firkins James, market gardener and seedsman
Fowler Charles, boot and shoe maker
Frost George, victualler and shopkeeper, Crown
Gittus Joseph, boot and shoe maker
Glover John, carrier
Goddard John, farmer
Gottwaltz Frederick, accountant
Harris Samuel, wheelwright
Harris William, farmer
Jones James, shopkeeper
Leonard Susannah, Postmistress
Lewis Charles, shoe maker
Martin Charles, beer retailer and tailor, Golden Cross
Miles John, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Newman Eliza, farmer, Lower End Farm
Parish John, farmer, Close Court
Perkes William, Inland Revenue Officer
Phelps George, market gardener and seedsman
Pitcher Charles, market gardener and seedsman
Reece William, baker
Roberts Benjamin, market gardener and seedsman
Shepherd William, farmer, Upper End House
Shilton Joseph, Station Master
Smith Herbert H., cabinet maker and carpenter
Sutton William, carrier to Gloucester
Tustin Alfred R., cooper
Vernon William, blacksmith
White George, farmer, Eckington Field Farm
White john, maltster and baker
White Thomas, builder and shopkeeper
Post Office - Susannah Leonard, Sub-Postmistress. Delivery, 10 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.
Carrier - To Gloucester, Sutton William; time according to circumstances. To Worcester, Glover, Sat., 7 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855