The ecclesiastical parish of Eastham consisted of the parish or Eastham, and the chapelries of Hanley Child and Orleton until 1560; in that year the ecclesiastical parish of Hanley William was united with the Parish of Eastham.
Other places in the parish include: Hanley William, and Upper Hanley.
Parish Church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin: 1571
Parishes adjacent to Eastham
- Stanford on Teme
- Upper Sapey
- Kyre Wyard
- Hanley Child
Historical Descriptions of Eastham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Eastham, a parish in Tenbury district, Worcester; on the river Teme, adjacent to the boundary with Salop, and to the Tenbury and Bewdley railway, 4 miles E by N of Tenbury. It includes the chapelries of Orleton and Hanley-Child; and its post-town is Rochford, under Tenbury. Acres, 3,846. Real property, £6,905. Pop., 645. Houses, 135. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Hanley-William and the p. curacies of Orleton and Hanley-Child, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £920. Patron, the Rev. H. Browne. The church has some Norman features, and is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Eastham, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Tenbury, county of Worcester; 4 miles east of Tenbury, on the southern bank of the Teme, comprising the chapelries of Orleton and Child-Hanley. Living, a rectory with the curacies of Hanley-William, Hanley-Child, and Orleton, in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £28 15s. 10d.; gross income £920. Here is a day and boarding-school. Acres 4,660. Houses 127. A. P. £4,824. Pop., in 1801, 632; in 1831, 671. Poor rates, in 1838, £196 13s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Eastham (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 ¼ miles (E.) from Tenbury; containing, with the chapelries of Child-Hanley and Orleton, 599 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Teme, and intersected by the road from Droitwich to Tenbury, and consists of 3681 acres, of which 2220 are in the township. The living is a rectory, with that of Hanley William annexed, valued in the king’s books at £28. 15. 10.; net income, £920; patron and incumbent, Rev. Charles Turner. The church contains 40 free sittings. There are chapels of ease at Child-Hanley and Orleton.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Eastham – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 4 ½ miles E. from Tenbury, and 129 from London; containing 65 inhabited houses. The church is a Gothic edifice but the foundation is evidently Saxon, as appears from the highly ornamented arch over the principal entrance. The living is a curacy, with the chapelries of Hanley-Child and Orleton, and the rectory of Hanley-William annexed; incumbent, the Rev. Edward Whitehead, who has a charming residence about half a mile from the church. Population, 1801, 385 – 1811, 380 – 1821, 347.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Eastham is a small village, containing the seat of the reverend Christopher Whitehurst, and is a most charming situation, from the great extent of wooded scenery around it. The bridge which leads off from the post road, over a very rapid part of the Teme, has a most pleasing effect, contrasted with the dark foliage of the deep embowering woods which hangover it. The house is plain and neat, and the grounds partake of the nature of the surrounding scenery. The church here is Gothic; but is evidently raised upon the remains of a Saxon one, for arches of that order, with ornamental mouldings of the same, maybe seen at the union of the body of the edifice with the chancel; over the principal entrance also, which is a Saxon arch, are mouldings of raised work; and over all a row of intersecting Saxon arches in the wall, supported by short columns, highly ornamented.
Hanley on the Hill, a modern villa of Col. Newport, seated on a conspicuous eminence, and commanding very extensive prospects over the vale of the Teme, and Wyre forest, is also in this parish.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records – FamilySearch
Marriages at Eastham with Hanley William, Hanley Child and Orleton 1571 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Eastham Worcestershire Parish Registers (with Hanley Child and Orleton) and Hanley William 1572 to 1812
The registers of Eastham (with Hanley Child and Orleton) and Hanley William, in the Deanery of Burford, 1572 to 1812
Transcribed by E. E. Lea; the introduction compiled by E. E. Lea
Privately printed for the Worcestershire Parish Register Society in [Worcester, England]. Published 1915
Eastham (with Hanley William, Hanley Child and Orleton) Billings Directory 1855
Eastham is distant from Tenbury about 3 miles, comprising, in 1851, a population of 319 inhabitants, and an area of 5000 acres.
Hanley William is a small parish and village, and was annexed to Eastham in the year 1560; it contained in 1851 a population of 125.
Hanley Child is a Chapelry to Eastham, with a population, in 1851, of 196.
Orleton is a Chapelry to Eastham, with a population, in 1851, of 107 inhabitants.
From “Heming’s Chartulary” we learn that in the early part of the eleventh century, during the devastations of the Danes in this country, many lands and possession were taken away from the Prior and convent of Worcester, among which were Eastham, Tenbury, Clifton, &c., one Earl Hacun and his soldiers being the chief spoliators; and the record goes on to state, “which his wife, Gunnild, knowing to the unjustly done, to make some small recompence, gave them the image of the Virgin Mary, curiously wrought and adorned with gold.” But that the monks of Worcester were too conversant with the science of “profit and loss” to accept this golden plaything as an equivalent for their broad acres, is proved by the statement that “they made incessant prayers to God and the Holy Virgin, and blessed Oswald their patron, that they would raise up some good man, and put it into his heart, to restore the possessions again to the church, whose right they were; and that whosoever should studiously counsel and advise the same might have an everlasting reward.”
Eastham Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, situated on the banks of the Teme, consisting of nave and chancel, with western square tower of brick, containing four bells, which are about two centuries old. This church is supposed to have belonged to the Knights Templars, and hence the devices on the walls; but we are not aware in what the subjects of the carvings apply to the Templars, except that the lamb and cross formed the standard chosen by that knightly order; but they were likewise the symbols of Redemption. There is not much interest attached to the Church, except in those portions which pertained to the Normans. South of the nave is a doorway of that character, with arcade work above it externally, and in the same wall are two rudely-carved bas-reliefs, representing apparently two of the signs of the Zodiac, Leo and Sagittarius; and on the wall of the chancel arch, facing the nave, are two similar carvings, the one of the lamb and cross, and the other two lions’ bodies united to one head. On the east side of the chancel arch is a painting of the Crucifixion. The old wooden tower was taken down in 1830, and the present brick one, with stone coping, erected. At the same time the church was repaired, re-pewed, and a new gallery erected, the outlay being £620. in the chancel lie the Soleys of Orleton, several of the former Rectors of Eastham, and the Whitcombs. The living is a Rectory, with Hanley William and the chapelries of Hanley Child and Orleton attached, in the patronage of the Rev. Henry Brown, B.A., who is the present Rector; Rev. Thomas Morris, M.A., Curate; Mr. William Porter, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m.
Hanley William Church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, consisting of nave, chancel and spire. Mr. James Wainwright, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Hanley Child Church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small edifice. Mr. Thomas Tyler, clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Orleton Chapel is in the modern style of architecture, consisting of nave, chancel, and western square tower with embattlements; the interior is neatly fitted up with enclosed seats. Mr. Robert Bruton, Clerk. Service – 3 p.m.
There is a Sunday School, established about thirty years since. Most of the children attend on week days. A cottage, with land, had been given for its support; but through neglecting a claim the annual rent for the property, the parties in possession became the legal proprietors, and the parish has lost all claim to it.
Brown Rev. Henry, B.A., Rector, Rectory
Holl Mr. William, High Wood Cottage
Annam Benjamin, farmer, The Park
Austins James, farmer, Ockerell Farm
Bach William, farmer
Dorrell Thomas, farmer, Fulhams
Eckley Vincent, farmer, Boat House
Element George, shopkeeper and cider retailer
Hemming John, bee retailer and shopkeeper
Holder William, farmer, Hill Wood
Meredith Joseph, farmer, Puddleford
Porter William, wheelwright, carpenter, and Parish Clerk
Powell William, farm bailiff to William Barnbrook, Esq., Nackershole Farm
Preece James, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Price Thomas, farmer, Court House
Pritchard Arthur, farmer, Black House
Weaver John Downes, farmer, Lower House
Worrall William, farmer, The Spout
Morris Rev. Thomas, M.A., Curate
Newport Rev. Thos. Henry, Hanley Court
Bowkett Richard, farmer, Church Farm
Bowkett William, farmer, Broomey Field
Brooke Mary, farmer, Fair House
Oseland Mary, farmer, New House
Oseland John, farmer, New House
Oseland John, farmer, New House
Oseland Thomas, farmer, miller, and Relieving Officer for the Bockleton District of the Tenbury Union, Hanley William Mill
Thomas George, victualler, Fox Inn
Wainwright James, shopkeeper, and Registrar of Births and Deaths for the Bockleton District
Clarke James, farmer, Parsonage
Clifton Edward, shopkeeper
Cooke Thomas, farmer, Woodstock Bower
Cook Thomas, farmer, Upper and Lower Villa
Cooper Solomon, farmer, The Hill
Cullingworth William, farmer, Chaplin Valley
Drew John, farmer, Court House
Graves James, victualler, The Bell
Harris James, shopkeeper and carpenter
Haywood John, blacksmith
Sanders John, shopkeeper
Spilsbury John, farmer, Chaffridge; also of New Grove
Spilsbury William, farmer, Town House
Stratton Matthias, Police Officer, County Police Station
Taylor John, tailor
Young Edward, wheelwright and carpenter
Bruton Robert, wheelwright, carpenter, and Parish Clerk
Davies Samuel, cooper
Davis Thomas Henry, farmer, auctioneer, and land agent, Middle House
Moore James, farmer, Loxton Farm
Morris George, farmer
Morris James, farmer, Upper House
Strafford William, farmer, Orleton court
Carrier – To Kidderminster, Graves (omnibus), Bell, Hanley Child, Thur., 5 a.m.; to Worcester, Sat., 7 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Eastham Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Eastham, near Tenbury, containing 70 houses, and 385 inhabitants. The hamlets of Hanley Child, Hanley William, and Orlton, are in this parish.
Amphlett John, farmer
Amphlett Richard, farmer
Badger Edward, farmer
Badger Mary, farmer
Barnbrook Thos., farmer
Bishop John, farmer
Bowkett Thomas, farmer
Davis Thomas, farmer, land surveyor, & auctioneer
Eckley Ann, farmer
Green Joseph, farmer
Gregg Joseph, farmer
Hall Thomas, farmer
Hyde William, farmer
Parker John, farmer
Shepperd Richard, farmer
Smith Edward, farmer
Weaver Benj., farmer
Whitcombe P., farmer
Whitehead Rev. C.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
England and Wales Census Records – FamilySearch
Migration Records – FamilySearch
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tenbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Tenbury
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury