Earl’s Croome is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1647
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
Parishes adjacent to Earl’s Croome
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CROOME (Earls), a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; 1½ mile NE of Upton r. station, and 3½ W by N of Eckington. It has a post office under Worcester. Acres, 1,141. Real property, £2,078. Pop., 189. Houses, 44. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £200. Patron, the Rev. Dunne. The church is old but good; and there are charities £17.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CROOME, EARL’S (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Upton-on-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Upton; containing 194 inhabitants. This parish is partly bounded on the north-west by the river Severn, and is intersected from north to south by the road from Worcester to Gloucester. It comprises by measurement 1138 acres, in equal portions of arable and pasture; the surface is undulated, the soil a rather stiff clay, and the scenery picturesque and beautiful: excellent limestone is obtained for building and for manure. There are several respectable houses: Earl’s-Croome Court, an ancient halftimbered mansion in the Elizabethan style, is the seat and property of the Hon. William Coventry. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £7. 8. 1½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Charles Dunne, M.A., whose tithes have been commuted for £235, and whose glebe comprises 5 acres, with a glebe-house. The church stands on the road from Upton to Pershore, and is an ancient building in the Norman style, with a noble arch. The tower was rebuilt in 1832, when the edifice was repaired and enlarged by subscription and a rate; the east window, of stained glass, representing the Crucifixion, was inserted at the expense of the rector, in 1844. Margaret, daughter and heir of Jeffries, of Earl’s-Croome, in 1570 was married to Sir Thomas Coventry, father of Lord-Keeper Coventry; Dr. Butler, author of Hudibras, was clerk to a subsequent Mr. Jeffries, and is supposed to have written most of his works under the roof of Earl’s-Croome Court.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Crome-Earls – a parish adjoining Crome D’Abitot, and in the same division, containing 37 inhabited houses. The church is an ancient structure: in the wall that divides the belfry from the nave is a row of intersecting Saxon arches, supported by short columns. The tower is built of timber, and contains five bells. It is a rectory; Rev. C. Dunne, incumbent; instituted 1807; patron, M. Dunne, Esq. Population, 1801, 158 – 1811, 178 – 1821, 186.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Earls Croome Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905
Distances – 9 miles S. of Worcester and 1 mile N.E. of Upton-on-Severn.
Population – In 1901, 180. Acreage, 1150.
Postal Information – Post Office, James Bull, Sub-postmaster. Letters are received through Worcester and arrive at 5.45 a.m. and 6.0 p.m.; despatched at 5.45 a.m. and 6.55 p.m. on week-days and Sundays. Upton-on-Severn is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
The Post Letter-box, near the Yorkshire Grey, is cleared at 5.50 p.m. on week-days and 7 p.m. on Sundays.
Parish church (St. Nicholas’) – Rev. George Lestrange Amphlett, Rector; Messrs. W. J. Surmon and Thomas Winwood, Churchwardens; James Bull, Sexton.
Elementary School (boys and girls) for Earl’s Croome and Hill Croome.
Amphlett Rev. George Lestrange (rector), The Rectory
Buckle Thomas and William, farmers, Blue Bell farm
Bull George, market gardener
Coventry Captain the Hon. Charles John, J.P., Earl’s Croome court
Forty John, gardener to Captain the Mon. C. J. Coventry, J.P., Earl’s Croome grdns.
Goode Edward, beer retailer (The Plough), Baughton
Griffiths Richard, farmer, Turk’s end
Hollingshead George, farmer, Red Deer Park farm
Humphries Ed., beer rtlr. (Yorkshire Grey)
Lawrence Leolf, farmer, Yorkshire farm
Merriman William, gardener, Laurel villa
Osborne Edward, The Firs
Preece Thomas, former, High house
Rayer Mrs., farmer, Church farm
Shepherd Mrs. Mary, frmr. Woodleys farm
Thomas Albert, market gardener
Tombs George, farmer, Hollybeds farm
Vaughan Albert, Emblem villa
White Frederick, farmer, Soudleys
Workman Miss, Grove house
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Earls Croome Littleburys Directory 1879
Earl’s Croome, so called from the connection of the Beauchamps with the parish, was previously known as Croome Simon, after the name of the possessor, temp. Henry II. It is a village and parish situate near the Severn, 1 mile N.E. of Upton, and 9 S. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county, Lower Oswaldslow hundred, Upton union and polling district, Pershore county court district and petty sessional division. The area of the parish is 1,141 acres; annual rateable value, £2,500; population in 1861, 189; in 1871, 194, with 47 inhabited houses and 49 families or separate occupiers. The Rev. Charles Amphlett (the lord of the manor) and the Earl of Coventry are the principal landowners. The country is flat; soil, cold clay and moist; chief crops, wheat, barley, and beans. Earl’s Croome is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Bredon; living, a rectory; annual value, £235, with residence and 7 acres of glebe; patron, Rev. Charles Amphlett, M.A.; rector, Rev. George Alexander Augustus Coates, M.A., S.C.L., Queen’s College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1873. The church of St. Nicholas consists of chancel, nave, and tower with five bells, and exhibits Norman masonry in its chancel-arch, doorways, and other portions, with an elegant Decorated window on the north side. The chancel is laid with encaustic tiles; a new vestry was added in 1877; also a painted window to the memory of George De Windt, Esq., the gift of his widow. The earliest register is dated 1659. A school was erected in 1855 for the accommodation of this parish and Hill Croome, and is supported by a voluntary rate. Earl’s Croome Court is the occasional residence of John Henry Empson, Esq., of Yorkfleet hall, Yorkshire.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive from Worcester (via Severn Stoke) at 7.10 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 5.10 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Upton-on-Severn is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Nicholas’s). – Rev. George Alexander Augustus Coates, M.A., S.C.L., Rector; Messrs. Thomas Horton and John Taylor, Churchwardens; George Mason, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Ann Denley, Mistress.
Carrier to Worcester. – Mrs. Smith, from Baughton (Hill Croome), on Saturdays, returning from the Coventry Arms, Friar street, at 4 p.m.
Allport The Misses, The Firs
Coates Rev. George Alexander Augustus, M.A., S.C.L. (rector), The Rectory
Empson Jn. H., Esq., Earl’s Croome court
Horniblow Mr. W., Emblem villa
Kent John Clarke, Esq., Levant lodge
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Brookes William, assistant overseer, tax collector, and road surveyor, Laurel villa
Bull George, market gardener and farmer
Bull James, market gardener and farmer
Day John, farmer, Woodley’s farm
Griffiths Richard, farmer and beer retailer
Higgins James, farmer, Grove farm
Horton Thomas, farmer, Holly beds
Mason George, parish clerk
Moore & Bishop, farmers, Soudleys
Taylor John, farmer, Blue Bell farm (and at Hill Croome)
Tustin William, beer retailer
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Earls Croome Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Earl’s Croome is a very small parish, about a mile from Upton, and contained according to the last census a population of 199 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a small, old building, with low square tower, containing 5 bells. The architectural features of this edifice are of a description requiring no comment. The living is a Rectory. Rev. Henry Charles Phillpott, Rector; Mr. Thomas Lowe, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Coventry Right Hon. William, Earl’s Croome Court
Hall Mrs. Sarah
Day John, farmer, Woodless Farm
Deakin Henry, beer retailer and farmer
Horniblow Henry, farmer, Blue Bell Farm
Horton Mary, farmer, Holly Bed
Kent Benjamin G., wine merchant; house Levant Cottage
Morton Thomas, farmer, Dunstall
Post Office – Thomas Day, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 8 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Earls Croome Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Barnes Benj., farmer
Broome Mrs., gentlewoman
Bull George, farmer
Deakins Richard, farmer
Dorville J. W. esq.
Dunne Rev. Charles
Ninde P., gent.
Price David, farmer
Taylor Wm., farmer
Weaver William, farmer
Welles E. F., esq.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury