Droitwich Pigot and Co National Commercial Directory 1835

Droitwich is a borough and market town, having exclusive jurisdiction, locally in the upper division of the hundred of Halfshire; 118 miles N. W. from London, about 7 N. E. by N. from Worcester, and 14 W. by N. from Alcester; pleasantly situate on the river Salwarp, and on the road leading from Birmingham to Worcester, and the fashionable watering place of Malvern; from which circumstance of thoroughfare the town is materially benefitted: for the accomodation of travellers an excellent commercial and posting Inn, the 'George and Foley Arms,' is established. This place was anciently denominated Wich or Wiche, from the wiches or salt springs with which the neighbourhood abounds; and the prefix Droit (right or legal) is conjectured to refer to some exclusive privilege for the manufacture of salt, obtained by the inhabitants. This branch has been traced to have existed here before the Norman conquest, and to this day it constitutes the staple of the place: of the other trades, malting and tanning, together with mills for grinding corn, may be mentioned as the principal ones. The town was originally incorporated by Charter from John, but that by which it is now governed was granted by James I, in the 22nd of his reign: the corporate body consists of two bailiffs, a recorder, two justices, a town clerk, burgesses, &c. A court of record is held every Thursday, before the bailiffs and town clerk, for the recovery of debts under £10, and sessions quarterly, by the bailiffs, recorder, &c. The borough returned two burgesses to the parliaments of Edward I, and to those held in the 3nd and 4th of Edward II, from which period the privilege ceased until its renewal in 1554. The Reform Bill deprived the borough of one of its members; the gentleman returned at the general election in January, 1835, was John Barnaby, of Brockhampton, in the county of Hereford, Esq. The bailiffs are the returning officers. The limits of the borough, as defined by the new Boundary Act (an appendage to the Reform Bill,) comprise the old borough of Droitwich, and certain contiguous parishes and places are added thereto: the same act ordains that the election of knights of the shire, to represent the eastern division of the county in parliament, shall take place in this borough. The old borough comprised the greater part of the united parishes of St. Andrew and St. Mary de Witton, those of St. Peter de Witton and St. Nicholas, and a small portion of that of St. Augustine de Wich, or Dodderhill. The church of St. Andrew, which was re-built after being destroyed by fire in 1293, is of several styles of architecture; the southern entrance, which formed part of the more ancient church, appears to be Saxon; the living is a discharged rectory, in the patronage of the crown, and incumbency of the Rev. John Topham. St. Peter's church has a tower, in the later English style, and some fine decorated windows. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of Earl Somers, and incumbency of the Rev. J. R. Ingram. The church of St. Nicholas was greatly damaged daring the parliamentary war, and only about half the tower remains: the living is a rectory, in the gift of the crown. The other places of worship are a chapel of ease, and one each for independents and Wesleyan methodists. The principal charities are a hospital for thirty-eight aged men and women, founded by Henry Coventry; in 1686, and a charity school for forty boys and forty girls, who are educated and clothed, and, on leaving school, apprenticed. The neighbourhood of this town is very respectable; the soil is rich, both for tillage and pasturage, and the scenery in many parts of the parish is very pleasing. The market is held on Friday; and the fairs on the Monday before the 20th of June and the Wednesday before St. Thomas's day. The (old) borough of Droitwich contained, by the government census taken in the year 1821, 2,176 inhabitants, and by that in 1831, 2,487.
POST OFFICE, Canal-street, Richard Allen, Post Master.— Letters from London arrive every morning at ten, and are despatched every afternoon at half-past three.— Letters from Birmingham and the North arrive every night at half-past ten, and are despatched every morning at a quarter past two— Letters from Bristol and the West arrive every morning at half-past two, and are despatched every night at a quarter past ten— Letters from Worcester arrive every afternoon at four, and are despatched every morning at half-past nine.

NOBILITY, GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Amphlett Rev. Joseph, Hampton rectory
Amphlett Richard H. esq. New hall
Amphlett Miss Penelope, Droitwich
Bearcroft Mrs. — , Meer hall
Downing the Misses, Queen st
Edwards Mrs. — , Droitwich
Foley Rev. Edward, Droitwich
Francis Richard, esq. Droitwich
Galton John Howard, esq. Hadsor house
Hughes Rev. Dr. Dodderhill
Kyrwood Miss Ann, Friar st
Norberry Conningsly, esq. Friar st
Pakington John Somerset, esq., Westwood
Penrice Edward Booker, esq. Friar street
Ricketts W. H. esq. Bromsgrove st
Southwell Viscount, Hindlip
Steward John Burdett, M. D. Droitwich
Vashon Rev. James Volant, Salwarp
Vernon Thomas Taylor, esq. Hanbury hall
Vernon Rev. W. Hanbury rectory

ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.
Jaques the Misses, High st
Taylor Miss Jane, Droitwich
Tomkins Thomas (boarding & day) St. Andrew street

ATTORNEYS.
Cartler Thomas Gale and John, St. Andrew street
Lawrence Thomas, Queen st
Pumfrey Charles, High st
Robeson John, Queen st
Tombs Samuel, Queen st

BAKERS & FLOUR DEALERS.
Gurney Job, High st
Jones John, Hanbury st
Reynolds William, High st
Reynolds William, jun. Queen st
Smith James, High st
Smith John, High st
Wheeler John, St. Andrew st

BLACKSMITHS.
Hale James, St. Andrew st
Manton John, Bromsgrove st
Nokes John, High st
Prisdee William, Hanbury st
Willis Humphrey, Bromsgrove road

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Bluck Thomas, Friar st
Brownell James, High st
Cattle Joseph, Queen st
Greaves George, High st
Harrison Edward, Bromsgrove st
Noke John, High st
Wheeler William, Queen st

BUTCHERS.
Bourne John, High st
Cole Daniel, Queen st
Emuss John, High st
Knight Stephen, High st
Wagstaff William, Hanbury st

CABINET MAKERS.
Emuss James, High st
Emuss William, Hanbury st
Stokes George, Friar st

COOPERS.
Broad Thomas, High st
Knott Henry, High st
Nickols William, St, Andrew st

GARDENERS & SEEDSMEN.
Harris William, Friar st
Harris William, St. Andrew st
Partridge Samuel, High st
Smith Richard, Queen st

GROCERS AND DEALERS IN SUNDRIES.
Allen Rebecca, High st
Bourne Ann, Hanbury st
Gorle Thomas, Queen st
Greaves Ann, Hanbury st
Hollington William, Queen st
Musgrove Christiana, Friar st
Peace Mary, High st
Priddey Harriet, High st
Trehearn William, High st

HAIR DRESSERS.
Onion Edward, Hanbury st
Onion Thomas, High st

INN.
George and Foley Arms (commercial and posting) William Ellis, St. George's Square

JOINERS & BUILDERS.
Leek Robert, Bromsgrove st
Loughton John, Hanbury st
Morris Henry, Albion cottage
Priddey James, Friar st
Priddey Thomas, Friar st
Shilvock Thomas, High st
Stokes George, Friar st
Wood William, Friar st

LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPRS.
Allen Joseph, High st
Edkins Ellis, Bromsgrove st
Pumfrey John, Queen st

MALTSTERS.
Lilly William, Wichbold
Moule John, Hanbury st
Smith Edward, High st
Smith John, High st
Wheeler John, St. Andrews st

MILLERS.
Knight John, Brier mill
Lilly William, Wichbold
Perkins Thomas, Town mill
Thould Thomas, Imprey

MILLINERS & DRESS MKRS.
Fisher Emma, Queen st
Greaves Mary, Bromsgrove st
Knight Elizabeth, Bromsgrove st
Manton Maria, Bromsgrove st
Worrall Sarah, High st

PAINTERS, PLUMBERS AND GLAZIERS.
Hemming Elizabeth, High st
Nutt Samuel, Queen st
Peace William, High st
Droitwich Salt Workers

SALT PROPRIETORS.
Bourne Thomas, Droitwich
Caldwell Thomas, Droitwich
Droitwich Patent Salt Works Company — Clay, Newman and others
Fardon, Gossage and Co. (& soap and vitriol manftrs.) Stoke prior
Fardon Thomas, Droitwich
Parker Richard, Stoke prior
Wall George, Droitwich

STRAW HAT MAKERS.
Allen Fanny, Worcester road
Greaves Ann, Bromsgrove st
Greaves Mary, Bromsgrove st

SURGEONS.
Jaques William R. High st
Kitsell James, Queen st
Ricketts Martin, Friar st

TAILORS.
Clutterbuck Joseph Wood, Friar st
Hooper Mary (& draper) High st
Nichols Samuel, Queen st
Pumfrey John (& draper) Queen st

TANNERS.
Smith John and Thomas, Queen st
Taylor William, Hanbury st

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSE8.
Barley Mow, John Moule, Hanbury st
Crown, John Alldridge, High st
Hole-in-the-Wall, Hny. Jones, Bromsgrove st
New Rising Sun, Wm. Kirkham
Star and Garter, Thomas Robins, High st
Talbot, William Chatterton, High st
Wheat Sheaf, Edward Smith, High st
White Hart, John Butler, High st

Retailers of Beer. 
Bourne Sarah, Vines
Chipp Samuel, Bromsgrove st
Emuss William, Hanbury st
Greaves James, High st
Harris John, Friar st
Martin William, Worcester road
Morris Henry, Worcester road
Partridge Thomas, Hanbury st
Tandy Edward, Friar st
Webster Sarah, High st
Wood William, Friar st

WHEELWRIGHTS.
Bowles Edward, Droitwich
Lawrauce William, Hanbury st
Martin William, Worcester road
Mason William, Bromsgrove st

Miscellaneous. 
Fisher John, saddler, Queen st
Green Isaac, chymist, druggist and stationer, Queen street
Henderick John, clock and watch maker, High st
Hunt Edward, turner & patten & chair maker, High street
Noke Charles, salt pan maker, Friar street
Partridge Edward, salt basket maker, Bromsgrove st
Partridge Samuel, salt basket maker, Bromsgrove st
Savings' Bank, Queen street (open on Friday)— Samuel Tombs, actuary
Smith Richd. corn dealer, Worcester road
Taylor Joseph, farrier, Friar st
Trehearn William, currier, High st
Weaver George, whitesmith, High st
Wedgberrow Ann, brazier and tin-plant worker, Queen street

COACHES.
All call at the George and Foley Arms Inn.
To BATH, the York House (from Birmingham) every morning at half-past ten; goes thro' Worcester, Tewkesbury, Gloucester and Cheltenham— and the Mercury, every forenoon (Sun. excptd.) at a quarter before eleven; goes thro' Worcester, Tewkesbury, Gloucester and Petty France.
To BIRMINGHAM, the Royal Mail (from Worcester), and the Wellington (from Bristol) every afternoon at a quarter before four—the Star (from Worcester) every morning (Sun. excepted) at a quarter before nine, and the True Blue, every day at a quarter before 12 — the Alert and the Defiance (from Cheltenham) every afternoon (Sun. excptd) at one— the Hero (from Bristol), & the Mercury (from Bath), every aiternoon at a quarter past five— and the York House (from Bath) every evening at a quarter before six.

Source: Pigot and Co's National Commercial Directory 1835.