Doverdale is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1704
Doverdale, a parish in the hund. of Halfshire, union of Droitwich, county of Worcester; 3½ miles north-west by north of Droitwich. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £5 2s. 6½d.; gross income £228. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs. Oldham. Acres 98? Houses 6. A.P. £972. Pop., in 1801, 60; in 1831, 72. Poor rates, in 1837, £78.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Doverdale – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 3½ miles N.W. from Droitwich, and 121 from London. The parish is very small, containing only 6 houses; it is a rectory; Rev. T. Oldham, incumbent in his own right; instituted 1807. Population, 1801, 60 – 1811, 56 – 1821, 60.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Distances – 4 miles N.W. of Droitwich, 5 S. by E. of Stourport, 8 N. of Worcester.
Population – In 1901, 58. Acreage, 749.
Parish Church (St. Mary) – Rev. C. Poyntz Sanderson, M.A., Rector; T. Morgan, Churchwarden.
Letter-box near Church Farm cleared at 5.50.
The children from here attend school at Cutnall Green and Ombersley.
Lamb E. H., miller
Morgan Thomas, farmer
Moss Arthur, Church farm
Moss Mrs. Edwin
Musson George, gardener
Sanderson Rev. C. Poyntz, M.A., The Rectory
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Doverdale (or Dovedale, anciently Lunuredale) is a small parish 4 miles N.W. of Droitwich, 5 ½ S.E. of Stourport, and 10 N. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and parliamentary borough of Droitwich; hundred of Upper Halfshire; union, petty sessional division, polling and county court district of Droitwich; population in 1861, 43; in 1871, 51, with 9 inhabited houses. The area of the parish is 743 acres; annual rateable value, £1,381. The soil is a stiff clay, subsoil, marl; produce, wheat, beans, fruit, &c. The Right Hon. Lord Hampton is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; yearly value, £240, with residence and 40 acres of glebe; patroness, Mrs. C. P. Mottram; rector, Rev. Charles Piercy Mottram, M.A., Magdalene College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1871. The parish registers begin with the year 1700. The church of St. Mary is a small stone edifice, chiefly in the Early English style of architecture. It was thoroughly restored in 1858 at a cost of about £1,000, defrayed by the Rev. James Oldham, the late rector. It consists of chancel, nave, vestry, and wooden belfry containing three bells and surmounted by a small spire. The chancel is paved with encaustic tiles. The east window was filled with stained glass (by Hardman of Birmingham) as a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Oldham, who was rector of the parish for upwards of twenty-three years. The Rectory House is pleasantly situated about three-quarters of a mile N.E. of the church.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Droitwich, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary’s). – Rev. Charles Piercy Mottram, M.A., Rector; Mr. E. Lamb, Churchwarden; William Davis, Parish Clerk.
Mottram Rev. Charles Piercy, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Jelf George, farmer, Southall farm
Lamb Eliezer, miller & farmer, Doverdale mill
Morgan Mrs. Emma, farmer, Hill farm
Moss William, farmer, Stone house
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Doverdale is a very small parish, situate about 5 ½ miles S.E. from Stourport, and contained in 1851 a population of 34 inhabitants, being 20 less than in 1841, and 38 less than in 1831.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists of nave and chancel, with a wooden bell-turret. The windows are square-headed, with the exception of one or two, which are small, and bear the appearance of the Norman style, as also portions of an earlier structure. By an inscription bearing date 1832, the church appears to have undergone great improvement, in being re-pewed and panted, with a new pulpit, reading-desk, floor, &c. There is also a new chancel arch of stone, forming a great improvement, in the place of which was originally a heavy cross-beam. The chancel is laid with Minton’s encaustic tiles, the seats being open, with the fleur-de-lis finishing. In the chancel are two brasses, the one bearing date February 14, 1814, to the memory of Sarah, wife of the Rev. Thomas Oldham, Rector; the other, dated 1837, to the memory of the wife of the Rev. George Larden, another rector of the parish. There is also a mural tablet to the memory of the Rev. Thomas Oldham, Rector of Doverdale upwards of thirty-three years, who died in the year 1831. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Mrs. Curtler. Rev. Thomas Gale Curtler, B.A., Rector; Mr. William Davis, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Curtler Rev. Thomas Gale, B.A., Rector, Rectory
Gibbs William, farmer, Rectory Farm
Lamb Eliezer, miller, Doverdale Mill
Lench William, farmer, The Moat
Moss William, farmer, Stone House
Williams William, farmer, The Hill; also of Southall Farm
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855