Daylesford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1674
Parishes adjacent to Daylesford
- Bledington (Gloucestershire)
- Cornwell (Oxfordshire)
- Adlestrop (Gloucestershire)
- Chastleton (Oxfordshire)
- Kingham (Oxfordshire)
- Oddington (Gloucestershire)
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Daylesford, a parish in the district of Stow-on-the-Wold, and county of Worcester; and on the West Midland railway, at the boundaries with Oxford and Gloucester, ¾ of a mile SSE of Addlestrop r. station, and 3 ½ E of Stow-on-the-Wold. Post-town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 653. Real property, £919. Pop., 108. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. Daylesford House belonged for centuries to the Hastings family; was rebuilt by Warren Hastings in the year of the commencement of his trial; was his residence during the last twenty-four years of his life; and, together with the estate belonging to it, was sold, in 1853, for £30,250. A monastery was founded at Daylesford, in the 8th century, by one of the kings of Mercia; and given, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to Evesham abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £152. Patron, Mrs. Hastings. The church was rebuilt in 1861; and is a small cruciform structure, in the early decorated style, with rich adornments in coloured marbles.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DAYLESFORD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Blockley and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 5 miles (S. W.) from Chipping-Norton; containing 81 inhabitants. This place was exempted from the interdict in the reign of John: the manor, from the time of the Conquest, with the exception of about 70 years, was the property of the ancestors of Warren Hastings, the renowned governor-general of British India. The parish occupies a detached portion of the county, and comprises according to measurement, 650 acres; the soil is fertile, and the meadow and pasture lands are of the richest luxuriance. The cultivation of cinquefoil was begun here in 1650, prior to its introduction into any other place in the kingdom. Stone is quarried for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £7, and in the patronage of Sir Charles Imhoff: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and there are nearly four acres of glebe, and a newly built glebe-house. The church, one of the oldest structures in this part of the country, and in the Norman style, was, with the exception of two of the arches, taken down and rebuilt with the old materials, in 1816, by Mr. Hastings; it stands north of the village.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Dailsford – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division, four miles E.N.E. from Moreton, and 80 from London; containing 19 inhabited houses, entirely surrounded by Gloucestershire. The culture of cinque-foil in England was first introduced here. Dailsford is also remarkable for containing the mansion-house of the late Mr. Hastings, the descendant of one of the oldest families in the Kingdom, who at the age of thirty-six, in 1761, became a member of the Bengal government, and in 1772 he received the appointment of governor of that establishment. On his return to England in 1785, Mr. Burke on the 20th June, the day of his arrival, moved an impeachment against him in the House of Commons, and after a minute examination into twenty-two articles exhibited against him on his trial in the House of Lords, which continued seven years, the greatest number of peers who considered him guilty on any of the charges was only six, whilst on the others they were unanimous in pronouncing him not guilty. The church is a rectory; Rev. T. Bath Woodman, incumbent; instituted 1814; patroness, Mrs. Hastings. Population, 1801, 94 – 1811, 102 – 1821, 103.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
England, Worcestershire, Daylesford – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Daylesford, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Worcestershire, Daylesford – Church records ( 1 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Daylesford, 1624-1887
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Daylesford (Worcestershire)
England, Worcestershire, Daylesford – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Daylesford, Worcs., Eng
Daylesford Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Daylesford is a small agricultural parish, situate in a detached portion of the county, about 3½ miles from Stow-on-the-Wold, with a population in 1851 of 66 inhabitants.
The Church is a small, ancient building, dedicated to St. Peter, and has no architectural features worthy of note. Rev. Thomas Winter, Rector; Mr. John Webb, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Grisewood Harman, Esq.
Winter Rev. Thomas P.
Bowles John, farmer
Bowles Thomas, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Daylesford Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Bowles Thomas, farmer
Dadge Samuel, farmer
Hastings Hon. Mr.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Blockley
- Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury