Cropthorne Worcestershire Family History Guide

Cropthorne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Charlton and Netherton.

The hamlet of Netherton, which belonged to Cropthorne till 1864, was added to Elmley Castle by Order in Council, 464; in 1871

Parish Church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611

Nonconformists in Cropthorne include: Baptist, Methodist, and Society of Friends/Quaker.

There was a Free School in the parish, erected in the year 1740

Parishes adjacent to Cropthorne

Parish History

Cropthorne

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Cropthorne, a parish in the middle division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Pershore, county of Worcester; 3½ miles east by south of Pershore, on the southern bank of the Avon. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £14 17s. 3½d. No return. Tithes of Charlton commuted in 1776. Others in 1779. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Worcester. Charities, in 1830, £17 per annum. There are 4 daily schools here, one of which is endowed with the interest of £200. Acres, including the hamlets of Charlton and Netherton, 3,520. Houses 156. A.P. £7,255. Pop., in 1801, 570; in 1831, 690. Poor rates, in 1838, £193 18s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

CROPTHORNE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Pershore, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Evesham; containing, with the hamlets of Charlton and Netherton, 732 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Avon, and intersected by the road from Evesham to Pershore; and comprises by measurement 3735 acres, of which 1479a. 1r. 7p. are in the portion exclusively of Netherton and Charlton. There are quarries of blue limestone, which is used for paving floors and for burning into lime. From Court House is a beautiful view of the river and the adjacent country. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 17. 3½., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The tithes of Cropthorne and Charlton were commuted for land and money payments, under inclosure acts, in 1776 and 1779; and those of Netherton were commuted in 1844, for a rent-charge of £84. 8. 2. The glebe comprises about 300 acres. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in the reign of Henry VIII.; it contains several interesting monuments to the Dineley family. Mrs. Mary Holland, in 1735, bequeathed £50 for the erection, and £200 for the endowment of a school.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822

Cropthorne – a township in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 3 miles N.W. from Evesham, and 100 from London; containing 62 inhabited houses. In the church are several curious monuments: under the communion-table is a vault belonging to the Dineley family, in which the bodies do not putrify. This village presents a most pleasing view from the London road. The living is a vicarage; Rev. William Digby, incumbent; instituted 1818; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 240 – 1811, 265 – 1821, 304.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Charlton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

CHARLTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Cropthorn, union of Pershore, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 5¼ miles (E. by S.) from Pershore; containing 312 inhabitants, and comprising 1549a. 2r. 29p. of rich land. It is surrounded on all sides, except the south, by a winding of the river Avon; and is distant from the village of Cropthorn north-eastward about half a mile.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822

Charlton – a hamlet in the parish of Cropthorne, and middle division of Oswaldslow, 3 miles N.W. from Evesham, and 99 from London; containing 62 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, no return – 1811, no return – 1821, 277.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Netherton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

NETHERTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Cropthorn, union of Pershore, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Evesham; containing 104 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-east by a portion of Gloucestershire, and consists of 726a. 16p., in about equal portions of arable and pasture. Here was formerly a chapel, now in ruins, and used as a farm building. The Baptists have a place of worship.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822

Netherton – a hamlet in the township of Cropthorn, and hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 2 ½ miles N.W. from Evesham. It formerly had a chapel, the remains of which are now converted into a stable. Population returned with Cropthorn.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization, and Military records - Free

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley's Directory of Cropthorne 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Cropthorne With Charlton Littleburys Directory 1879

Cropthorne is a parish and village near the river Avon, 3 miles N.W. of Evesham, 3 ½ S.E. of Pershore, 12 S.E. of Worcester, and 1 mile S. of Fladbury station on the Great Western railway. It is situated on a delightful eminence, and commands fine views; is in the eastern division of the county, and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; union, petty sessional division, and county court district of Pershore; polling and highway district of Evesham; annual rateable value, £3,073; area, 1,483 acres; population in 1861, 374; in 1871, 355; inhabited houses, 84; families or separate occupiers, 89. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Francis D. Holland, Esq., N. Cole, Esq., and the Rev. L. H. Rudd. The soil is light and sandy in some places; in others, stiff clay. The subsoil is sand, gravel, and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas, beans, and roots. Market-gardening is carried on in this locality to a considerable extent. The church (St. Michael’s) has a chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, and western tower; chiefly in the Perpendicular style, but the base of the tower is Early Norman. The Dineley monuments are singularly interesting, and there are other curious remains of antiquity in the church. The register begins with the year 1559. The living is a vicarage in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Feckenham; value, £500, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; vicar, the Rev. Robert Sanders, M.A., Magdalene Hall, Oxford, who was instituted in 1853. A new school was built by subscription in 1862-63, and enlarged in 1874. The old school is now converted into a residence for the master. Mrs. Mary Holland’s endowment of £10 yearly is paid by the trustees to the managers of the school. There are a few small charities belonging to the parish. Cropthorne Court, the residence of F. D. Holland, Esq., J.P., is delightfully situated near the church. The views from the mansion and the vicarage are extremely beautiful. Cropthorne Manor House is at present void. Charlton is a hamlet, distant half a mile N. The population in 1861 was 374, and in 1871, 386, with 80 inhabited houses and 87 families or separate occupiers. The acreage is 1,544; annual rateable value, £2,836. William Carey Faulkner, Esq. (the lord of the manor), Henry Porter, Esq., John Walford Izod, Esq., and J. Cartwright, Esq., are the principal landowners. A new church was opened in this hamlet on July 29th, 1872. It has been very cleverly formed out of an old barn by Mr. Forsyth, of Worcester, and has been fitted up at the expense of Henry Workman, Esq., who formerly resided at Charlton house. At present the building is only licensed, but when the living of Cropthorne becomes vacant the new church will, no doubt, be endowed and separated from the mother church. Charlton House, the property and residence of William Carey Faulkner, Esq., was once the seat of the famous Worcestershire family of Dingley, or Dineley. The male line of the Dineleys terminated with Sir Edward whose daughter Eleanor married Edward Goodere, afterwards knighted; he died in 1739. The mansion was partly destroyed at the close of the last century. Netherton, formerly a hamlet of Cropthorne, is now added to Elmley Castle. It contained in 1871 a population of 105, with 16 inhabited houses, and 20 families or separate occupiers.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Pershore at 7.45 a.m. The wall letter-box, Cropthorne, is cleared at 5.30 p.m. The wall letter-box, Charlton, is cleared at 5.10 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Fladbury, Evesham, and Pershore are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Pershore.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s). – Rev. Robert Sanders, M.A., Vicar; F. D. Holland, Esq., Churchwarden; Charles Price, Parish Clerk.
Charlton Chapel-of-Ease. – , Minister
National School (boys and girls), Cropthorne. – Mr. William Pomeroy, Master; Mrs. Emily Eliza Pomeroy, Mistress. Carrier to Evesham. – David Davis, to Evesham on Mondays, returning from the Red Lion at 3.30 p.m.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Applebee Miss Mary, Cropthorne
Applebee Mr. Morris, Cropthorne
Brookes Mrs. Sydney, Cropthorne
Faulkner Wm. Carey, Esq., Charlton ho.
Holland Francis Dermot, Esq., J.P., Cropthorne court
Sanders Rev. Robert, M.A. (vicar of Cropthorne), The Vicarage

AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.

Ayliffe W., fmr. & landowner, Cropthorne
Baker Wm., farmer, Ridon fm., Charlton
Baldwin Caroline, shopkpr., Cropthorne
Brookes Mrs. Sarah and Bourton William, blacksmiths, Cropthorne
Cole Nehemiah, fmr. and landowner, Cropthorne; res., Sandfields, Sedgeberrow
Corbett John, gardener, Charlton
Cormell Frederick, farmer, Smokey farm
Davis David, shopkeeper, carrier, and market gardener
Day Henry, market gardener, Cropthorne
Dingley John, wheelwright, Charlton
Eaton Samuel, farm bailiff for W. C. Faulkner, Esq., Charlton
Hay Henry, farmer, Cropthorne
Hyde William, baker and shopkeeper, Charlton
Izod John Walford, farmer and landowner, The Hollies, Charlton
Knight Samuel, Bell Inn, and market gardener, Cropthorne
Knight Mrs. Sarah, beer retlr., Charlton
Meakins John Smith, farmer and landowner, Patty’s farm, Cropthorne
Morris Charles, miller, Cropthorne mill
Parker William, farmer, Haselor farm and Yearsall farm, Charlton
Pomeroy William, master of the National school, School house
Preston Richard, farmer, Cropthorne
Price Charles, shoemaker, Cropthorne
Pritchard John, farm bailiff for Mr. John Swift (of Manchester), Charlton
Savory John, cabinet and croquet maker
Smith Charles, farmer, Cropthorne
Smith George, farmer, Fern hill, Charlton
Stephens George, farmer, Cropthorne; res., Fladbury mill
Stratton Charles Frederick, farmer and land measurer, Charlton
Stratton Wm. H., gardener, Cropthorne
Swift J., fmr., Charlton; res., Manchester
Tarplee John, stonemason, Cropthorne
Walker Geo., fmr., Haselor hill, Charlton
Walker Henry Job, New Inn, and market gardener, Cropthorne

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Cropthorne (with the Hamlets of Charlton and Netherton) Billings Directory 1855

Cropthorne, is a village and parish, very pleasantly situated in the Middle Oswaldslow Hundred, and Eastern Division of the county, distant 3 ½ miles S.E. from Pershore, and 3 N.W. from Evesham, with a population in 1851 of 336 inhabitants.
There is nothing particular in this locality requiring comment. Taken as a whole it is a very respectable village, containing several good residence, amongst which we may mention Cropthorne Court, the seat of Francis Holland, Esq., the Vicarage, &c.
Charlton is a hamlet in the parish of Cropthorne, distant from Pershore about 4 miles, containing in 1851 a population of 329 inhabitants.
Netherton is another hamlet in the parish, about 3 ½ miles from Pershore, and 4 from Evesham, containing in 1851 a population of 95 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient building, in the Gothic style of architecture, consisting of nave and chancel, with square tower, containing six bells. In the interior are several monuments of great interest, and which will repay a visit. The living is a Vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. Robert Sanders, Vicar; Mr. John Slatter, Clerk.. Service – 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
There is a Free School in the parish, erected in the year 1740, and liberally endowed by Mrs. Mary Holland, for poor children of Cropthorne, for ever. Mrs. Ann Slatter, Mistress.
Charities – The charities of this parish are not numerous; they are distributed annually, according to the wishes of the donors.

DIRECTORY

Baker S. W., Esq., Cropthorne House
Holland Francis, Esq., Deputy Lieutenant and Magistrate, Cropthorne Court
Osborne Mrs.
Sanders Rev. Robert, Vicar, Vicarage
Andrews Francis, farmer, Smoky Farm
Applebee Morris, farmer
Beach William Henry, farmer, Field Barn Farm
Birch George, farmer, Lower Haselor Farm
Brookes John, blacksmith
Cowley John, shopkeeper
Davis John, farmer; and at Elmbridge Green
Knight Joseph, carpenter
Meakins John S., farmer, Pattey’s Farm
Mills James, beer retailer
Osborn William, market gardener
Preston Richard, shoe maker
Rance Henry, brick maker; and at Elmley Castle
Sanders John, tailor
Saunders Thomas, coal dealer
Slatter John, Parish Clerk
Smith Thomas, boot and shoe maker, and Sub-Postmaster
Smith Wm., farmer, Cropthorne Heath
Stratton Charles F., victualler, New Inn

Charlton

Horton Mr.
Loxley Miss
Birch Peter, farmer, Boston Farm
Brookes Charles, blacksmith
Crane Edward, farmer, Haselor Farm
Deakin George, farmer
Dingley John, wheelwright
Dingley William, farmer
Garmston John, farmer, Upper Haselor
Hyde William, beer retailer and shopkeeper
Smith George, farmer, Fernhill Farm
Somers George, carpenter and wheelwright
Taplin John, boot and shoe maker
Taylor John, farmer; and at Alderton
Workman Joseph, farmer, Ryedon Farm

Netherton

Blizzard John, shoe maker
Crump Charles, farmer
Jones Benjamin, carpenter
Malins William, farmer
Pearce Joseph, farmer

Post Office, Cropthorne – Thomas Smith, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 3 40 p.m.

Carriers – To Worcester, W. Davis, Sat., 6 a.m.; Evesham, W. Davis, Mon., 11 a.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Cropthorne Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Cropthorne, 3 miles from Evesham, containing 43 houses, and 240 inhabitants. The manors of Charlton and Netherton, are in this parish.

Appelbee Edward, gent.
Appelbee Morris, farmer
Bagshaw A., shopkeeper
Bushill Susan, farmer
Curnock William, farmer
Drinkwater Wm., mason
Holland Francis, esq.
Holland Francis, jun., esq.
Kearey William, vict.
Meakins Joseph, weaver
Mealins Wm., farmer
Mosley John, miller
Osborn William, farmer
Owen James, vict.
Phillips John, farmer
Roberts Thomas, butcher
Salmon Samuel, farmer
Shepperd Mary, farmer
Smith Thomas, tailor
Tovey Thomas, farmer
Veal Joseph, butcher
Walker Thomas, Weaver

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Charlton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Andrews John, weaver
Boyce Mrs., farmer
Brown Mary L., farmer
Brown Mrs., gentlewoman
Bushell G., blacksmith
Bushell Mrs., farmer
Corbet Thos., pig dealer
Davis Thomas, gardener
Davis James, gardener
Dingley William, farmer
Dingley R., wheelwright
Dingley Samuel, farmer
Woodward Francis, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Netherton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Cooke Michael, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Family History Links

Genuki

The Worcestershire and Dudley Historic Churches Trust Site

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Pershore
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Pershore
  • Poor Law Union: Pershore
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division: Pershore
  • County Court District: Pershore
  • Polling District: Evesham
  • Highway District: Evesham