Clifton on Teme is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Edvin Loach is a chapelry of Clifton on Teme.
Parish church: St. Kenelm
Parish registers begin: 1598
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Clifton-upon-Teme – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, on the borders of Herefordshire, 10 miles N.N.W. from Worcester, and 121 from London; containing 86 inhabited houses. It stands on the western bank of the river Teme, and derives its name from its situation, being on a steep cliff overhanging the river, commanding the most picturesque views. It was anciently the seat of the Ingram family, and in the reign of Edward the Third, was a borough, with a weekly market. Ham-Castle, in this parish, was formerly a castellated mansion, and in the year 1646, was nearly destroyed by the Parliament army. It is now the property of the Winnington family, in the occupation of a farmer.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Hereford and archdeaconry of Salop; Rev. C. Fox Winnington, incumbent; instituted 1817; patron, Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. Population, 1801, 499 – 1811, 485 – 1821, 520.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Clifton-on-Teme, seven miles from Worcester, on the borders of Herefordshire, is a parish decked with all the beauties of hills and woods, through which the river Teme runs in a serpentine course, affording a series of delightful prospects. The country abounds with hop-plantations. It has a market and fairs. Near it is Home or Ham Castle, where, in 1637, an iron chest containing gold, silver, &c. was dug up in a vault within a fort.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Ham Castle, a quondam baronial seat in Worcestershire; on the river Teme, 8½ miles NW of Worcester. It belonged to the Winningtons; was destroyed in 1646; and is now a ruin.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Distances – 3 miles from Upton-on-Severn, 7 from Worcester
Population – in 1901, 557. Acreage, 3274.
Postal Information – Miss L. Linton, Sub-Postmistress. Letters received through Worcester at 5.35 a.m. and 4.20 p.m.; Sundays, 5.35 a.m. Letters despatched to Worcester at 11.20 a.m. and 7.10 p.m. week-days, and Sundays 7.10 p.m. Telegrams may be sent from 8.0 a.m. to 8.0 p.m. on week-days, and Sundays 8.0 a.m. to 10.0 a.m. Postal order, money order and savings bank business transacted.
The Wall Letter-box at Clifton is cleared at 11.30 a.m. and 7.20 p.m.; Sundays, 7.20 p.m. The Wall Letter-box at Kinnersley is cleared at 8.20 a.m. and 6.0 p.m. week-days only.
Parish Church (St. Denis) – Rev. Henry W. Coventry, M.A., Vicar; Colonel C. W. Long, M.P., and George Brooke, Churchwardens; Henry Fowler, Parish Clerk.
Elementary School – Arthur Langfield, Master.
Assistant Overseer – William Hood.
Police Station – Richard Jeffs, Constable.
Carriers to Worcester – Samuel Goodwin, Saturdays, stops at the New Greyhound, New Street. Arthur Taylor, Wednesdays and Saturdays, Old Greyhound, New Street; leaves Kinnersley at 8.0 a.m., Worcester about 3.30 p.m.; Frederick Tandy, Wednesdays and Saturdays, Red Lion, Sidbury; leaves Kinnersley 9.0 a.m., Worcester about 3.30 p.m.
Brooke George, farmer, &c.
Cosnett Edwin H., farmer, &c., Clifton
Coventry Rev. Henry W., M.A., J.P. (rector, hon. canon of Worcester and rural dean of Bredon), Rectory
Davies Miss Sarah, Ye Olde Boar’s Head (established upwards of a century), old posting house, Bristol main road. Home-brewed and Burton ales. Wines, spirits, cigars. Most comfortable accommodation for tourists and cyclists. Good lock-up stables and coach-houses. Hotel quarters C.T.C.
Fowler Henry, parish clerk
Garrett William T., jockey to the Earl of Coventry Kinnersley
Gill Mrs. Maria, farmer, Kinnersley
Goodwin Samuel, carrier, Clifton
Heath Miss Maria, beer retailer, Clifton
Hemus William, farmer, Kinnersley
Hill Mrs. Emma, beer retailer, Kinnersley
Hill John, Church house
Hood Wm., sen., clerk of works to the Earl of Coventry
Hood Wm., estate clerk and assistant overseer, Kinnersley
Hooper Thomas, butcher
House George, stud groom, Kinnersley
Hunter Mrs. Ada, Spring bank
Jeffs Richard, police constable
Jones John Henry, grocer and baker
Langfield Arthur, school house
Linton Miss L., sub-postmistress
Linton Miss Ellen, vaccination officer and registrar of births and deaths for Kempsey Sub-district, Post office
Long Colonel Charles Wigram, M.P., D.L., J.P., Severn bank
Osborne Edward Miall, Kinnersley
Morris George W., farmer, Clifton court
Morris - , beer retailer (Crown Inn)
Mytton James, farmer
Nixon Chas., frmr., Lower farm, Kinnersley
Nixon Edward, farmer, Birch farm
Palmer Miss F.M., hand laundry, Kinnersley (see advt.)
Phillips John, farmer, Clifton
Pinnock - , farmer, Kinnersley
Preece Thomas, farmer, High house
Redding Alfred, painter
Revill Mark, jun., farmer, Sandford house
Robert Arthur Remington, Hill house
Scott Henry, wheelwright, Sandford
Scott William, blacksmith, Sandford
Tandy Frederick, carrier
Taylor Arthur, carrier, Kinnersley
Tremaine Fredk., stud groom, Kinnersley
Vaughan John, blacksmith, Kinnersley
Wadley John, farmer, Dunstal
Warman Jas. H., hay and coal dealer
Woodward Frederick, farmer, Park farm (letters through Kempsey)
Workmen’s Club – A. Langfield, Hon. Sec.
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Clifton-on-Teme is a picturesque village and parish overlooking the Teme valley and its lovely scenery, 11 miles N.W. of Worcester, 10 S.E. of Tenbury, 3 N.W. of Martley, and 5 N. of Knightwick station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway; is in the western division of the county, Upper Doddingtree hundred, Martley union, highway district and polling district, Worcester county court district, and Hundred House petty sessional division. The area of the parish is 2,972 acres; annual rateable value, £3,895; population in 1861, 542; in 1871, 525, with 105 inhabited houses and 128 families or separate occupiers. Sir Francis Salwey Winnington, Bart., of Stanford court, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The Earl of Dudley and the Rev. E. Winnington Ingram are also landowners here. The soil is a red clay generally, with abundance of hops and apples, oak and ash timber, the usual cereal crops except oats, rich feeding lands, good cattle on the hills, and two corn mills on the Teme, and the romantic Sapey brook. Clifton was anciently a borough, having fairs and a market; an agricultural association was established here a few years ago. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, archdeaconry of Ludlow, and rural deanery of East Burford; annual value, £250, with residence; patron, Sir Francis S. Winnington, Bart.; vicar, the Hon. and Rev. Robert Chichester Moncreiff, B.A., Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1874. The church of St. Kenelm contains specimens of Early English and every succeeding style, and consists of chancel, nave, and large south aisle, with Norman tower and modern spire and five bells. The earliest register is dated 1598. Here is a national school under Government inspection; also a benefit club. Woodmanton is an ancient manor-house, half a mile south, the seat of the Wyshams and Couchers. It is now a farmhouse, the property of – Coucher, Esq., of London. Lower Sapey, or Sapey Pitchard, is a chapelry and manor; it is distinguished for great natural beauty. Ham, or Homme Castle, the ancient seat of the Jeffreys, The Noke, The Hope, and Salford are places or ancient residences in the parish.
Postal Regulations. – Charles Green, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester at 8.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. Money orders are granted and paid, and post-office savings-bank business transacted at this office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Kenelm’s). – The Hon. and Rev. Robert Chichester Moncreiff, B.A., Vicar; Messrs. Charles E. Boddington and Joseph Moore, Churchwardens; Thomas Jones, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Thomas Rous, Master.
Carrier to Worcester. – Mrs. Roberts, on Saturdays.
Bolton Mrs., New house
Davis Mrs., Bayton villa
Moncreiff The Hon. and Rev. Robert Chichester, B.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Boddington Chas. E., farmer, Church ho.
Broadburn Henry, stonemason
Bull John, carpenter
Caswell J., farmer & hop grower, Pitlands
Cooper John, farmer and hop grower, The Hope farm
Cownley John, boot and shoe maker
Davis Charles, horse breaker
Dovey John, plumber, &c.
Drew Samuel, farmer, Moorfields
Green Chas., grocer, provision dlr., draper, & sub-postmaster, Post office
Griffiths Mrs. E., beer retailer, New Inn
Hanly Mrs. Susannah, miller
Harber Francis, fmr. & butcher, Noak fm.
Holloway Thos., Red Lion Inn, & farmer
Hooper Edward, farmer, Clifton wood
Jones Thomas, wheelwright, machinist, and general smith, Church villa
Jones Thomas, tailor and draper
Lewis John, carpenter, &c.
Lewis Thomas, farmer, Holland’s mill
Moore John, fmr. & hop grw., The Ham
Moore Jos., fmr. & hop grw., Ham castle
Mortlock William E., insurance agent
Neville Mrs., farmer, Angstrey
Palmer Richard W., shopkeeper
Quarrell Thomas Joseph, farmer and hop grower, Woodmanton
Roberts Edward, carrier
Roberts Edwin, blacksmith
Roberts Shadrach, blacksmith
Rous Thomas, master of national school
Smith J. W., fmr. & hop grw., Salford crt.
Smith Sam., fmr. & hop grw., Steps frm.
Wainwright John, pump maker and well sinker
Webb Henry, pig butcher
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Clifton-upon-Teme is a Parish situate in the upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, 10 miles from Worcester, 9 from Tenbury, and 3 from Martley. It contained in 1851 a population of 547 inhabitants. The situation of Clifton commands some of the most extensive and beautiful views in the county, overlooking the serpentine course of the river Teme. The visitor passes through one long street, stopping to admire a few villas, the vicarage, and ancient church, with its lich-gate. The “Lion” Inn is almost the only relic of the ancient importance of Clifton. Portions of it bear marks of great antiquity, being built of travertine, the same geological formation as that of which Southstone rock, in the parish of Stanford, is composed; and tradition says that it formed part of the ancient Court-house.
The town of Clifton was constituted a borough by Edward III., and privileged with fairs, a weekly market on Thursday, and many other franchises and immunities, by a charter granted to Mortimer, now disused. The manor of Clifton was conveyed to William Jefferies, by Henry VI. The heiress of that family married Edward Winnington, about a century and a half ago, and thus the estate came into the possession of the Winningtons. “Hamme Castle” was formerly a place of great strength, but was destroyed in 1646, by the Parliamentary troops. It was restored in 1840, and the moat and terraces still remain. There is a noble staircase in the house, and a flight of steps leading to what has been described as a confessional or penance cell.
The Church, dedicated to St. Kenelm, and infant heir to the Saxon King of Mercia, who was murdered on the Clent Hills, near Stourbridge, consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with western tower and spire. The tower, which is built of rubble, with irregular ashlar-work at the angles, has duplicated lights, divided by a rude kind of baluster, diagonal buttresses of rubble, and wooden spire. We are inclined to assign a great portion of the tower to the Saxon period. The tower arch, opening into the nave, is interesting, springing from the base something in the shape of a horse-shoe, without capitals to the columns, above this arch is a window, the head of which is triangular, formed of two blocks of stone. Triangular arches are found of a much later date, being often seen in cathedral clerestories of the perpendicular period, but are rarely of so rude a construction. In the chancel lies the body of Edward Winnington Jefferyes (third son of Sir Francis Winnington), who was celebrated as a distinguished speaker in Parliament, and an eminent lawyer, in the reign of Queen Anne. It is said that an offer of the Great Seal was made to him, but his ambition was restrained by his love of country sports, which eventually caused his death. Underneath one of the lofty arches which divide the nave from the aisle, are the remains of an ancient tomb, containing the effigy of a knight of the Holy Voyage, supposed to have been Sir Ralph Wysham, one of a family who formerly held the manor, and resided at Woodmanton. There are also monuments to the Ingrams, a family of great antiquity, mentioned in deeds without date, and therefore prior to the year 1290, and who resided for many generations at a house called “The Noak”, (now occupied by Mr. Hughes). In 1722, a descendant of the Ingrams married into the Winnington family. The Haywoods, another ancient family, who resided at Salfourd Court, have likewise memorials here. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of Sire T. E. Winnington, Bart. Rev. Slade Baker, M.A., Vicar; Mr. James Martin, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
The National School, for the education of the children of the parishes of Clifton and Sapey Pritchard, is supported by voluntary contributions, and is under Diocesan and Government inspection. The site was given by Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. Mr. Frederick James Noad, Master; Mrs. Lucy Noad, Mistress. Number of scholars, 75.
An Agricultural Society has been established in this parish.
Fairs are held here on the 15th of April and 10th of October.
Baker Rev. Slade, M.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Haywood Mr. Edwin, Bayton Villa
Walker The Misses
Watkin Rev. Edward
Wright Rev. John Howard Cressy, M.A., Vicar of Wolferlow
Arminger Richard, castrator
Boddington Thomas Henry, farmer, Church House
Boughton John William, farmer, Woodmanton
Callow Edward, saddle and harness maker
Cownley John, shoe maker
Davis Thomas, farmer, The Steps
Derbyshire Joseph, victualler and farmer, Red Lion
Dovey James, Police Constable
Green John, mason
Griffiths James, farmer, carrier, and cider retailer, Shortlands, Clifton Hill
Heaford Thomas, farmer, The Ham
Hodges Hannah, victualler, Crown
Hodges John, wheelwright
Hodges Emma and Marianne, milliners and dress makers
Hooper John, farmer, Clifton’s Wood
Horton John, victualler, farmer, and butcher, Unicorn
Hughes Charles, farmer, The Noak; also of the Oxhall
Jones Thomas, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Jones Thomas, tailor
Lea Robert, farmer, The Hope
Lewis John, wheelwright and carpenter
Lipscombe Joseph, farmer, carrier, and Collector of Taxes
Martin James, carpenter, builder, and Parish Clerk
Martin Susan and Sarah, dress makers
Moore John, farmer, Ham Castle
Neville Thomas, farmer, Hangstree
Noad Frederick James, Schoolmaster, Postmaster, Organist, and Agent to the Hope Mutual Life Assurance Society
Potter Michael, tailor
Rastal John, miller and maltster, Ham Mill
Roberts Edward, blacksmith
Rowley William, shoe maker
Sheward Joseph, boot and shoe maker
Webb Henry, butcher
Wells Thomas George, farmer, Salford
Wells Charles, farmer, Salford
Williams William, grocer, draper, and agent for the Farmers’ Fire, Life, and Hail Storm Insurance Institution
Post Office. – Frederick James Noad, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 15 a.m.; despatch, 4 p.m.; Sunday despatch, 10 30 a.m.
Carriers – Worcester, through Martley, Griffiths (van), Wed. and Sat. 8 a.m.; Lipscombe, (omnibus), Tues., Thurs., and Sat., 8 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Clifton-on-Teme, 10 miles from Worcester, containing 84 houses, and 499 inhabitants. It is a pleasant and diversified part of the county, and was formerly a market town. Sapey Pritchard is a hamlet to this parish.
Bidington Thos., farmer
Bowkett William, shopkeeper
Bury John, butcher
Cartwright Thos., shopkeeper
Caswell Walter, farmer
Corbett Thomas, farmer
Coucher John, Gent.
Coucher Caleb, Gent.
Coucher Martin, farmer
Dipper Jacob, butcher
Downes William, farmer
Eaton Benj., farmer
Fielders John, vict.
Ford Edward, farmer
Gorle William, gent.
Griffiths John, farmer
Haywood Mr. gent.
Haywood Sam., farmer
Haywood Edw., farmer
Haywood Mary, shopkeeper
Holland John, miller
Hughes Rev. Richard
Jones John, farmer
Jones William, farmer
Lewis John, farmer
Martin Wm., glazier
Nash George, farmer
Neville Widow, farmer
Piper Widow, farmer
Price William, farmer
Seward Mr. gent.
Smith T. P., glazier (?)
Tearne Edward, farmer
Watkins Thos., farmer
Webb John, farmer
West Joseph, farmer
West Thomas, mason
Wilcox Joseph, vict.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.