Clifton on Teme, Worcestershire Family History Guide

Clifton on Teme is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Edvin Loach is a chapelry of Clifton on Teme.

Parish church: St. Kenelm

Parish registers begin: 1598

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Parishes adjacent to Clifton on Teme

Parish History

Clifton-upon-Teme

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CLIFTON-UPON-TEME, a village and a parish in Martley district, Worcester. The village stands under fine cliffs at the river Teme, 7 miles NNW of Bransford Road r. station, and 10 NW of Worcester; was once a market-town and a borough; and has a post office under Worcester. The parish comprises 2,972 acres. Real property, £4,252. Pop., 542. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Ingrams and others; and belongs now to Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £172. Patron, Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. The church, and also an ancient churchyard cross 15 feet high, were recently restored. Charities, £20.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

CLIFTON-upon-Teme (St. Killom), a parish, in the union of Martley, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 10¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Worcester; containing 512 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the river Teme, and comprises by measurement 2853a. 1r. 16p.: stone of good quality for building and the roads, and flagstone, are quarried. The village, which is beautifully situated on a steep cliff, overlooking the serpentine course of the Teme, was made a free borough by Edward III., who also granted a weekly market, now disused. Ham Castle, formerly the residence of the family of Jefferies, and which was nearly destroyed in 1646 by the parliamentary troops, was completely restored, indeed nearly rebuilt, by the proprietor, in 1840. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 19. 2.; patron and impropriator, Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £235, of which £207. 10. are payable to the vicar; and the glebe consists of two acres, with a house, built in 1845. The church has a square tower, surmounted by a spire which is a landmark to the country around; the interior was restored in 1844: among some ancient monuments is one to a Knight Templar, supposed to be Sir Roger de Wysham. A school is supported by subscription. There was anciently a chapel at Noverton, in the parish; but in 1532, Charles, Bishop of Hereford, with the consent of the vicar of Clifton and the inhabitants, united Noverton to the parish of Stanford, reserving to the vicar an annual pension of 13s. 4d., in lieu of tithes and offerings due from the inhabitants of the chapelry. At Woodmanton, still in the parish, was another chapel.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Clifton-upon-Teme – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, on the borders of Herefordshire, 10 miles N.N.W. from Worcester, and 121 from London; containing 86 inhabited houses. It stands on the western bank of the river Teme, and derives its name from its situation, being on a steep cliff overhanging the river, commanding the most picturesque views. It was anciently the seat of the Ingram family, and in the reign of Edward the Third, was a borough, with a weekly market. Ham-Castle, in this parish, was formerly a castellated mansion, and in the year 1646, was nearly destroyed by the Parliament army. It is now the property of the Winnington family, in the occupation of a farmer.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Hereford and archdeaconry of Salop; Rev. C. Fox Winnington, incumbent; instituted 1817; patron, Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. Population, 1801, 499 – 1811, 485 – 1821, 520.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Universal British Directory 1791

Clifton-on-Teme, seven miles from Worcester, on the borders of Herefordshire, is a parish decked with all the beauties of hills and woods, through which the river Teme runs in a serpentine course, affording a series of delightful prospects. The country abounds with hop-plantations. It has a market and fairs. Near it is Home or Ham Castle, where, in 1637, an iron chest containing gold, silver, &c. was dug up in a vault within a fort.

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Ham Castle

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Ham Castle, a quondam baronial seat in Worcestershire; on the river Teme, 8½ miles NW of Worcester. It belonged to the Winningtons; was destroyed in 1646; and is now a ruin.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Severn Stoke with Kinnersley and Clifton Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905

Clifton-on-Teme (inc. Lower Sapey) Littleburys Directory 1879

Clifton-Upon-Teme Billings Directory 1855

Clifton-on-Teme Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Martley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Martley
  • Hundred: Doddingtree
  • Province: Canterbury