- Parishes adjacent to Claines
- Historical Descriptions
- Family History Links
Last updated on September 2nd, 2017
Claines is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire, formerly a chapelry to St. Helen’s, Worcester, being divided into several tythings, including the ancient manor of Northwick, but in 1218 it became a separate parish.
Other places in the parish include: Fernhill Heath, Bevere, Northwick, Astwood, Tolladine, Perdiswell, North Claines, Whitstones, and South Claines.
Church: St. John
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists in Claines include: Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Protestant Dissenters, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Parishes adjacent to Claines
- Martin Hussingtree
- Worcester St Martin
- Worcester St Clement
- Worcester St Nicholas
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Claines – an extensive parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 2 miles N. from Worcester, and 114 from London; containing 496 inhabited houses. This was originally only a chapelry to the church of St. Helen’s, Worcester, from which is was separated in 1218, and is now a distinct curacy.
White Ladies, formerly a priory of seven or eight white nuns, is in this parish. In the early part of the last century, the chapel was still standing: the house is now a modern residence. When Charles II, retired here, after the battle of Worcester, he left his gloves and garters, which long remained in possession of the Cookseys, who then resided here. Bevere, an island, formed by Barbourn brook, which runs through this parish, is remarkable for having proved an asylum to the citizens of Worcester, in the days of Hardicanute, in 1041, when the inhabitants fled to this place, to avoid a general massacre, which he had ordered, leaving their property and habitations a prey to the soldiery; they likewise took refuge here during a dreadful pestilence in 1637, which carried off in a few months one thousand five hundred and fifty-one of the population, at that time comparatively small. The living is a curacy; Rev. Thos. Henry Newport, incumbent; patron, Henry Wakeman, Esq. Population, 1801, 1463 – 1811, 2194 – 1821, 2509.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
We now commence with the Environs of Worcester, and proceeding to the north, enter the parish of CLAINES, which was not a separate parish originally, but merely a chapelry belonging to St. Helen’s church within the walls, from which it was taken about 1218. It now reaches into the Foregate Street, although its church is nearly two miles distant, situated between the Kidderminster and Droitwich roads, among very fertile meadows, and surrounded by lofty groves; this contains a few monuments, but has nothing else worth notice. That part which borders on the city contains White Ladies, the seat of the late R. Ingram, Esq. and which formerly was the nunnery of Whitestone, a priory of (Tanner’s Monasticon) seven of eight white nuns, valued at 53l. 3s. 7d. at the dissolution, and granted to Richard Callowhill. The house itself is of more modern date, and forms a handsome rural residence, though almost within the bounds of the city. When Charles II retired here, after the unfortunate battle, he left his gloves and garters, (Stukeley’s Itinerary) which long remained in possession of the Cookseys, who then lived there; and, in the early part of the last century, the chapel of the nunnery was shall standing, and had some painted saints at one end. In this parish is also the island of BEVERE, or BEVERYE, formed by the Beverburn, a stream that flows through Claines parish, now called Barbon. This is supposed to have signified Beaver brook, as those animals were once native of this country. This island is remarkable for having twice proved an asylum to the citizens of Worcester; in the time of Hardiucanute in 1041, as already related; and in 1637, during the time of a dreadful pestilence, mentioned in our historical sketch. Dr. Nash records, that at that awful period the country people were so terrified as to desert the city markets, so that the few remaining inhabitants must have starved, had it not been for the gratuitous and charitable care of the gentry in the vicinity, who sent them bread and other provisions. In this delightful hamlet is the Seat of the late Dr. Nash, now on sale, or lately disposed of; the house is commodious and comfortable, and nothing can be pleasanter, so near to a large city, than the shrubbery walks and terrace, which are a mile in circuit, so judiciously are they managed, possessing the most varied and charming prospects of the Malvern and Abberly hills, and of an extent of landscape rich in wood, water, and picturesque scenery. This venerable clergyman has left charitable donations to the poor of Strensham, Kempsey, St. Peter’s Worcester, Claines his parish residence, and St. Peter’s Droitwich, where his ancestors had property. The hamlet itself is considered as highly salubrious, and is resorted to by the Worcestrians both for health and pleasure, and for cold bathing.
ROSE PLACE, a small, but pleasant mansion, lies to the north-east of Worcester, of which city it has a most delightful prospect, with many other enchanting views; it is the seat of Thomas Williams, Esq.
PERDISWELL, the seat of J. Wakeman, Esq. is on the right hand of the Droitwich road, and is an elegant modern edifice, built of free stone. It presents a very pleasing appearance to the traveller, being at a sufficient distance from the road to have a good effect; and, having side screens, and a back ground of luxuriant plantations, possesses an air both of grandeur and comfort. There plantations have been laid out with considerable taste, considering that the ground is dead flat, and though yet in their infancy, they add much to the rural elegance of the environs of the City. The gateway is light and pleasing, and has two well executed medallions of Plenty and Commerce, with their appropriate symbols, illustrative of agriculture and navigation.
BLANKETS is a commodities brick building, but has nothing remarkable; it derived its name from an ancient possessor.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Universal British Directory 1791
Claines, a village about two miles from Worcester, is a very large parish, and has several elegant well-built mansions. That at Perdeswell, the seat of Henry Wakeman, Esq. lately erected, is built with free-stone. At the entrance, on each side the gate, are two carved figures, one representing plenty, and the other commerce, or navigation. The Blankets (which took its name from the ancient occupier Agnes Blanket) is a strong brick-built mansion. Rose-place, pleasantly situated adjoining the Birmingham road, has many good edifices. Anciently, Claines was only a chapelry to St. Helen’s, in Worcester: the church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Universal British Directory 1791
The island of Bevere, on the river Severn, is memorable for having defended the citizens of Worcester, in the reign of Hardicanute, from the ravages of his troops, who destroyed the city, on which island they remained five days; and in 1637 it became an asylum for them in time of a pestilence. Here are the seats, among others, of the Rev. Dr. Nash and John Hall, Esq. The water-works, from which the city of Worcester is supplied, has a lofty reservoir, one hundred feet in height, lately erected, on the top of which, for ornament, are placed canon.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Perdiswell Hall, the seat of Sir O. Wakeman, Bart., in Claines parish, Worcestershire; 1 mile NNE of Worcester.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow; Worcester Borough
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Worcester
- Petty Sessional Division: Worcester
Family History Links
- England and Wales Census, 1841
- England and Wales Census, 1851
- England and Wales Census, 1861
- England and Wales Census, 1871
- England and Wales Census, 1881
- England and Wales Census, 1891
- England and Wales Census, 1901
- England and Wales Census, 1911