Claines 1855 (with the Hamlets of Northwick, Fernhill Heath and Perdiswell)

Claines, with the above hamlets, is a very extensive parish, part of it being included in the city of Worcester, but for the purpose of more easy reference we have inserted that portion of it in our Worcester “Directory,” our object being to make every place as separate and distinct as possible. Claines contained, according to the last census, in the city, 2998, other portions, 3321 making a total of 6819 inhabitants.
Claines was formerly a chapelry to St. Helen’s, Worcester, being divided into several tythings, including the ancient manor of Northwick, but in 1218 it became a separate parish.
The island of Bevere is in the parish, and is remarkable as having afforded refuge to the inhabitants of Worcester, first in 1041, from the fury of Hardicanute, on account of their refusing to pay the Danegelt; and again in 1637, from a pestilence then raging in the city. The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure, some portion of it bearing traces of the Tudor and perpendicular styles of architecture. It consists of nave, chancel, and side aisles. There is a basin on a pedestal standing by the north-west pillar of the chancel, and in this pillar is an ancient piscina, probably as ancient as the 9th of Henry V. There is a gallery at the west end, containing a fine-toned organ, presented by the late Sir H. Wakeman. The east window is of stained glass, bearing the royal and Episcopal arms. There are no monuments requiring comment. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the patronage of Sir Offley P. Wakeman, Bart. Rev. J. Palmer, M.A., Incumbent; Mr. James Williams, Clerk; James Wilkes, Sexton. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The National School was erected by parliamentary grant, and is supported by voluntary contributions. Mr. John Jauncey, Master; Mrs. Margaret Jauncey, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 196
There are numerous Charities connected with this parish, amongst which may be mentioned one of £50, left by Mr. Edward Thomas, in 1656, to apprentice poor children; £100 by G. Wingfield, Esq., for clothing the poor; £200 by Sir H. Wakeman, to be given to the poor annually in February; beside other sums left by various benevolent persons, to be given in bread, clothes, &c.

DIRECTORY

Brampton Miss, Mount Pleasant
Clowes Mrs. Margaret, Hawford House
Cottrell Mr. George, Bevere
Curtler Thomas Gale, Esq., magistrate, Bevere House
Edwards Mr. James, Melbourne Terrace
Gutch John Matthew, Esq., magistrate, Common Hill
Hartle Mrs. Martha Ann, Barbourne
Hartle Mrs. Mary, Ombersley Road
Lavender Miss Jane, Barbourne
Mence Mr. William, Cyprus Cottage, Barbourne
Moon Richard, Esq., Bevere
Morgan Mr. James, Barbourne
Palmer Rev. Ellis, Chaplain to the Waterman’s Church, Barbourne
Parham Benjamin, Esq., Hawford Lodge
Penn James, Esq., Common Hill House
Pike Mr. Robert, Barbourne Lawn
Saunderson Mrs. Harriet, Rose Place
Spooner Mr. Thomas, Woodville Cottage
Spooner Richard, Esq., M.P., magistrate, Brickfields
Stallard William, Esq., The Blanquettes
Trevis Mr. John, Portfields Villa
Turner Mr. James, Barbourne
Turrall John, Esq., Barbourne Bank
Vashon Mrs. Mary Ann, Bevere Knoll
Williams Rev. Bennett, classical and mathematical school, Merriman’s Hill House
Woodcock Rev. George, M.A., Barbourne House

Ballard Thomas, cabinet maker
Band Joseph, farmer
Bedford John, farmer, Tapenhall Farm
Bedford William, coal dealer, Hawford Lock
Beedom and Sons, millers, Porter’s Mills; also of Hadley Mill
Bellwood Henry, bailiff to Sir O. P. Wakeman, Holy Claines
Boucher Thomas, farmer, Lower Town
Bourne William, shopkeeper
Brecknell Richard, beer retailer, Hop Pole, Barbourne
Brook William, farmer, Moat House
Brook Thomas, farmer, Spellys
Collins James, victualler, The Raven
Donovan James, farmer
Emery Henry, shopkeeper, Cyprus Place
Evans Thomas, farmer, and road surveyor, Tolladine
Evans Robert, Assistant Overseer, and Collector of Taxes
Felton Robert, hop merchant, Merriman’s Hill
Francis George, market gardener, Barbourne
Fullford Richard B., commercial traveller, Arlington Villa
Gardner Edward, corn dealer, Merriman’s Lodge
Gaunt Thomas, farmer, Lower Smite
Gaunt Thos., farmer, Upper Smite; also of the Martin Pool
Gray James, farmer, Oak Cottage, Bevere
Hartwright William, farmer and maltster, Corn Meadow House
Hartwright James, farmer, Linacres
Heming Henry, builder, Melbourne Terrace
Hill Nicholas, farmer, Lower Town
Hope Frances, farmer, Astwood
Hughes Edwin, shopkeeper
Jackson Richard Tandy, farmer, Sand Hill
Jay Elizabeth, ladies’ boarding establishment, Oakfield
James George, mason
Jeff George, farmer, Lower Town
Knapp John, solicitor, Barbourne
Lane John, miller and farmer, Gregory’s Mill
Little James, victualler and brewer, Crown, Barbourne
Miles Joseph, farmer, Astwood
Miles Sarah, farmer, Spring Bank
Morris Elizabeth, farmer, Astwood
Newburey John, market gardener and shopkeeper
Newey John, market gardener
Oates Thomas A., hop merchant, Church House
Pearkes Samuel, farmer, Daniels
Pember John, carpenter
Perkins Thomas, shopkeeper, Barbourne
Perks William, farmer, Blanquettes Leys
Porter William, land surveyor, Barbourne
Ross John, farmer, Moat House; also of Black Pole, Astwood
Ross James, farmer, Dane’s Green; also of Upper Tapenhall
Timothy James, lemonade and soda water manufacturer, Ombersley Road
Trimmell Thomas, tailor, Barbourne
Tuffley Benjamin, beer retailer, and shoe maker
Walker Samuel, farmer
Webb James, farmer, Tapenhall; also of Porter’s Mill
Wheeler Edward, farmer and hop merchant, Barbourne
Wilding John, wheelwright
Wilkes James, carpenter and sexton
Williams Sarah, victualler, Mug House
Williams James, tailor and parish clerk
Williams Thomas, shoe maker, Barbourne
Williams John, blacksmith
Wilson Charles, corn and coal merchant, Mount Elbury
Wood Archibald, nurseryman, seedsman, and florist, Barbourne Nursery, and Worcester

NORTHWICK

Clarke Mr. Thomas, Northwick Cottage
Davis Mr. John, Northwick Terrace
Davis Mr. William, Rose cottage
Jones Mrs. Letitia
Knapp Joseph, Esq., Northwick Villa
Pardoe Mrs. Mary, rose Cottage
Rogers Mrs. Mary
Tolley Mrs. Elizabeth
Viney Mr. John, Northwick Terrace
Adams Joseph, blacksmith
Ashcroft Thomas, florist and nurseryman
Atkins George, shoe maker
Bagnall John, shopkeeper
Coombs Ellen, milliner and dress maker
Corner William, plumber and glazier
Farmer James Hall, decorative house painter, Northwick Terrace
Gregory Stephen, beer retailer, Red Lion
Hind Sarah, shopkeeper, Northwick Terrace
Hingley John, beer retailer, Vine, Northwick Terrace
Hughes Isaac, butcher and milkman, Northwick Terrace
Langford John, shoe maker
Leek Matthew, slater and plasterer
Marks The Misses, milliners and dress makers, Northwick Terrace
Morris Absalom, florist
Newey James, market gardener
Overton Frederick, wire worker, whitesmith and bell-hanger; and at Worcester
Rudge Daniel, market gardener
Summers Sarah, shopkeeper
Taylor John, farmer
Thomas William, market gardener
Tolley William, farmer, Northwick Hall
Weaver William, market gardener
Weaver William Henry, market gardener

FERNHILL HEATH

Barnett Mr. William, Rose Cottage
Hill Mr. John, Heath House
Houston Mr. Andrew Robert
Bridge John, beer retailer
Cole George, wheelwright
Davis John, wheelwright and carpenter
Edis Newell, clerk to the engineers of the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway
Ely John, shoe maker
Evans Ambrose, shoe maker
Freeman W., Superintendent of Police, and shopkeeper
Gibbs Letitia, shopkeeper
Layland Samuel, tailor and woollen draper
Lewis William, tailor and shopkeeper
Mills John, wheelwright and carpenter
Needham Francis H., corn and coal merchant; and at Worcester
Payter Chas., victualler and butcher, Bull
Rush James, Sergeant of Police
Spencer John, shoe maker
Tandy Edward, victualler and shopkeeper, White Hart
Wainwright Vincent, Station Master
Walton John, Relieving Officer and Registrar of Births and Deaths for Claines District
White Henry, blacksmith and farrier
Wilde William, blacksmith

PERDISWELL

Beauchamp Miss Jane, Perdiswell Cottage
Eginton Mrs. Esther, Perdiswell Cottage
Lovett Mrs. Marianne, Little Perdiswell
Wakeman Sir Offley P., Bart., Perdiswell Hall
Stable Mrs. and The Misses, ladies boarding school, Little Perdiswell
Post Office, Hawford – Mr. William Bedford, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 8 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 30 p.m.
Post Office, Fernhill Heath – Mr. William Lewis, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 8 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855