Churchill-in-Halfshire is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St James
Parish registers begin: 1540
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Churchill-in-Halfshire
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
Parishes adjacent to Churchill-in-Halfshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Churchill, a parish in Kidderminster district, Worcester; on the West Midland railway, 3½ miles NE of Kidderminster. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Kidderminster. Acres, 924. Real property, £1, 637. Pop., 181. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £255. Patron, the Rev. J. Turner. The church was rebuilt in 1868, at a cost of £1, 800. Charities, £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Churchill, 3¼ miles N.E. Kidderminster. P. 164
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Churchill – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, lower division, 3 miles N.E. from Kidderminster, and 125 from London; containing 26 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. William Nettleship, incumbent; instituted 1811; patron, Lord Lyttleton. Population, 1801, 121 – 1811, 130 – 1821, 141.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Marriages at Churchill-in-Halfshire 1564 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed
Churchill Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Churchill is a very small parish, situate about 3 ½ miles from Kidderminster, and the same distance from Stourbridge. The village consists of a very few houses, and the population in 1851 was only 193.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a very small edifice, without either tower or spire: there is a small bellcot. Rev. Reginald P. Turner, Rector; Mr. Thomas Lane, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Amphlett Mr. John, Churchill House
Trow William, Esq., Magistrate, Ismere House
Turner Rev. Reginald P., Rector
Batche Henry, spade and shovel maker
Baynton Susannah, farmer
Birch John, farmer
Green James, farmer
Hall Charles, wheelwright
Hodgkinson Charles, civil engineer
Need John, farmer
Poole William, Sub-Postmaster, and spade and shovel plater
Tolley William, farmer, Iverley Farm
Whittaker Thomas, farmer
Whittaker James, victualler, Old Waggon and Horses
Post Office – William Poole, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 4 25 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Churchill Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Bache wm., spade maker
Clymer William, farmer
Farmer William, farmer
Heath William, vict.
Hooman John, carpenter
Parr John, farmer
Trow William, gent.
Whittaker Benj., farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Kidderminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Kidderminster
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury