Catshill is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1844 from Bromsgrove Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Cats Hill, Bromsgrove Christ Church
Parish registers begin: 1838
Nonconformists in Catshill include: Baptist and Primitive Methodist and Wesleyans.
There are four dissenting chapels
Table of Contents
The parish of Catshill was formed around the Turnpike Road (A38) in 1844.
In 1828 a Baptist chapel was opened in Little Catshill.
Catshill developed in the nineteenth century through nailmaking and by 1914 was one of the few villages in the area which produced nails.
Catshill, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish and union of Bromsgrove, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 2¼ miles (N.) from Bromsgrove, on the road to Stourbridge; containing about 3000 inhabitants. This district is formed of the north part of the parish, and includes the celebrated Bromsgrove Lickey, from which is a most extensive and diversified prospect. The greater part of the population is employed in the manufacture of nails, and the rest in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bromsgrove; net income, £150, including an augmentation from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church, dedicated to Christ, was built in 1838, at a cost of nearly £2000; it is in the early English style, with a tower, and has 546 sittings, whereof 404 are free. There are places of worship for Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans; and a Sunday school in connexion with the church1
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CATSHILL, a chapelry in Bromsgrove parish, Worcester; 2½ miles from Bromsgrove r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and has a post office under Bromsgrove. Pop., 2,393. Houses, 509. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Bromsgrove. The church was built in 1838. There are four dissenting chapels.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records for Catshill are available free from FamilySearch.
Church Records - Indexes
Poorhouses, poor law, etc.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Bromsgrove
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Droitwich
- Poor Law Union: Bromsgrove
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury
- A Topographical Dictionary of England. Samuel Lewis, London, 1848. ↩