Bushley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1817 from a chapelry in Tewkesbury Ancient Parish (Gloucestershire).
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1538
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Bushley
- Historical Descriptions
- Bushley Parish Registers
Parishes adjacent to Bushley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BUSHLEY, a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; on the river Severn, near the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 1¾ mile NNW of Tewkesbury. Post Town, Tewkesbury. Acres, 1,740. Real property, £3,227. Pop., 282. Houses, 63. Poll Court here is the seat of J. E. Dowdeswell, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £358. Patron. J. E. Dowdeswell, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bushley, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Pershore, county of Worcester; 1½ mile north-north-west of Tewksbury; bounded on the east by the river Severn. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Worcester, valued in the parliamentary returns at £31; gross income £58. Patron, in 1835, J. Dowdeswell, Esq. This parish possesses a daily and a Sunday school. Pop., in 1801, 282; in 1831, 313. Houses 65. Acres 1,740. A. P. £3,280. Poor rates, in 1837, £69.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Bushley Parish Registers
The registers of Bushley, in the Deanery of Upton, 1538-1812
Transcribed by J. Rusling
Published 1913 by Privately printed for the Worcestershire Parish Register Society in Worcester, England.
Marriages at Bushley 1539 to 1837
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed
Bushley Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Bushley is a small parish, situate about a mile and a half from Tewkesbury, and contained in 1851 a population of 339.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is in the Gothic and Norman styles of architecture, and the fitting up of the interior is equal to that of any parish church in the county. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. Rev. Charles Allen, Vicar; Mr. Joseph Wilkes, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small School, supported by W. Dowdeswell, Esq. Mr. John Cheese, Master.
Allen Rev. Charles, Vicar
Dowdeswell William, Esq., High Sheriff of the county, Pull Court
Cruse William, farmer, Shrubbery
Evans Edward, farmer
Firkins William, farmer
Guilding John, farmer
Morris John, farmer, Hill House
Mann Sarah, farmer, Oxey
Robins John, farmer
Sillman John, farmer
Smith William, farmer, Double Gates
Treeton Benjamin, steward and bailiff to W. Dowdeswell, Esq.
Weaver Job, shopkeeper
Webb Eliza, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Bushley Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Clay Samuel, farmer
Crees John, farmer
Evans John, farmer
Holland William, farmer
Lord William, farmer
Lord John, farmer
Lord Richard, farmer
Price Thomas, farmer
Selman Joseph, farmer
Smith George, farmer
Somerfield John, farmer
Tovey William, farmer
Tuberville John, farmer
Webster John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury