Broome is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
The parish includes the village of Broome as well as the hamlets of Hackmans Gate and Yieldingtree.
Alternative names: Broom
Parish registers begin: 1666
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Broome
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
- Birth, Marriage, & Death Records - FamilySearch
- Census Records - FamilySearch
- Migration Records - FamilySearch
- Military Records - FamilySearch
Parishes adjacent to Broome
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Broom, a parish in Kidderminster district, Worcester; 1 mile E of Churchill r. station, and 3½ S of Stourbridge. Post Town, Churchill, under Kidderminster. Acres, 716. Real property, £1,726. Pop., 118. Houses, 24. The property is divided among a few. Broom House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £320. Patron, J. G. Bourne, Esq. The church is a brick structure, with a tower; and contains a marble monument by Flaxman.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records - FamilySearch
Census Records - FamilySearch
Migration Records - FamilySearch
Military Records - FamilySearch
Broom, Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Broom, a small parish, is situated about 6 miles N.N.W. from Bromsgrove, and 4 ½ S. from Stourbridge, and contained in 1851 a population of 143 inhabitants.
This parish contains only a few buildings, which are principally farm-houses, and the Rectory. The principal part of the place is the property of Lord Ward. It is somewhat remarkable that there never was a public-house in the parish; not that this is the only instance in the county, but it might not be expected in this thickly-populated part of it.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small, neat brick edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, and small western bell-cot tower. The interior is neatly fitted up, and the cancel has been lengthened by the [resent Rector, who has been pastor for fifty-four years. There is an extraordinary circumstance attached to the history of this church, which is, that in the old church, near to the western portion of the nave, stood the trunk or body of an ancient oak tree, in which was suspended the church bell. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Joseph Green Bourne, Esq. Rev. Edward Dudley, M.A., Rector; Mr. Charles Boughton, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
The School, with house attached, a neat and appropriate building, was erected by Lord Ward, and is supported by the Rector and parishioners. Emma Crawford, Mistress. Number of children, 24.
Addenbrooke Mrs., Broom House
Dudley Rev. E., M.A., Rector, Rectory
Cole Thomas, farmer
Hickman Walter, farmer, Red Hill
Morton James, farmer, The Lodge; also of Broom House Farm
Pitt John, farmer, Cottage Farm
Potter Joseph, miller, maltster, and farmer, Broom Mill
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Kidderminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Kidderminster
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury