Broadwas Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879

Broadwas is a village and parish situate on the left bank of the river Teme, amid rich meadows and uplands, famous for hops and cider and charming views. It is distant 6 miles W. of Worcester, and 3 N.E. of Knightwick station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway; is in the western division of the county, Lower Oswaldslow hundred, Martley union, polling, and highway district, Worcester county court district and petty sessional division. The area of the parish is 1,160 acres; annual rateable value, £2,214; population in 1861, 311; in 1871, 337; inhabited houses, 69; families or separate occupiers, 92. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Francis Edward Williams, Esq., Rev. William Comyns Berkeley, Rev. R. Rodney Fowler, Miss Smith, and E. Bird Guest, Esq. The soil is loan and clay; products, wheat, barley, beans, turnips, Swedes, mangolds, hops, apples, pasture, &c. Broadwas is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester, and rural deanery of West Worcester; living, a rectory, value £290, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; rector, Rev. Robert Rodney Fowler, B.A., of Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1862. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is in mixed styles of architecture, Transitional from Norman, Early English, and Decorated. It has a chancel, nave with southern chapel, and western tower, which is surmounted by a wooden bell-gable. Interesting mural paintings were discovered here a few years ago. The earliest register is dated 1676. The school, with residence for the mistress, was erected within the last few years by subscription. It is under Government inspection. There are a few charities which have been the subject of former controversy. Broadwas Court is the residence of Edward Henry Hill, Esq., and The Cedars that of Edward Bird Guest, Esq.
Postal Regulations. – William Henry Wormington, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester about 7 a.m.; despatched thereto at 7.10 p.m. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary Magdalene). – Rev. Robert Rodney Fowler, B.A., Rector; E Henry Hill, Esq., and Mr. Thomas C. Nicholls, Churchwardens; William Griffiths, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Mrs. Shepherd, Mistress
Registrar of Births and Deaths. – Mr. John Bowkett.
Carriers to Worcester. – John Turner and Thomas Collins, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, returning the same days.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Arden Mrs., The Princes
Drew Mr. William, Brook house
Fowler Rev. Robert Rodney, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Guest Edward Bird, Esq., The Cedars
Hill Edwd. Henry, Esq., Broadwas court
Randall Mrs., Brook cottage
Smith Miss, The Firs

AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.

Berkeley Rowland, Esq., farmer, Butt’s Bank farm
Betteridge William, farmer, The Hill
Bowkett John, boot and shoe maker, and registrar of births and deaths
Cone James, Royal Oak Inn
Crump Edward, carpenter and joiner
Crump Samuel, cot. farmer, Broad green
Drew William, farmer and shopkeeper
Ganderton John, farmer, Stone farm
Griffiths William, tailor and parish clerk
Harwood Thomas, blacksmith
Haynes William, cot. farmer, Broad green
Lane John, farmer, The Forest
Nicholls Thos. Charles, farmer, Ivy ho.
Philpott James, blacksmith & cot. farmer
Shepherd Mrs., schoolmistress
Spencer William, farmer and butcher
Turner John, carrier
Went Edward, farmer, Butt’s farm and Noxon’s farm
Wormington William Henry, shopkeeper and sub-postmaster
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.