Bricklehampton is a chapelry of Pershore St Andrew with Pershore Holy Cross Ecclesiastical Parish in Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin: 1813
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Bricklehampton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRICKLEHAMPTON, a chapelry in St. Andrew Pershore parish, Worcester; near the river Avon, 3½ miles SSW of Fladbury r. station, and 3½ SE of Pershore. Post Town, Pershore. Acres, 810. Real property, £1,783. Pop., 187. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Pershore, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bricklehampton Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bricklehampton, 3 miles S.E. St. Andrew-Pershore. P. 173.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BRICKLEHAMPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Andrew, Pershore, union, and Upper division of the hundred, of Pershore, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3¼ miles (S. E.) from Pershore; containing 173 inhabitants. The parish is bounded by the river Avon, and intersected by the road between Evesham and Pershore; it contains 859 acres. The living, which is valued in the king's books at £2. 14. 2., is annexed to the vicarage of Pershore: the chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is a neat stone edifice with a brick tower.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Bricklehampton Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879
Bricklehampton is a small chapelry and village in the parish of St. Andrew, Pershore, distant 4 miles S.E. of Pershore, 6 E. of Defford station, 4 S.W. of Evesham, and 12 S.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county, Upper Pershore hundred, Pershore union, county court district, polling district, petty sessional division and rural deanery, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry. The area of the chapelry is 856 acres; annual rateable value, £2,200; population in 1861, 187; in 1871, 181, with 41 inhabited houses, and 42 families or separate occupiers. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster are lords of the manor, and Mrs. Elger, Mrs. Bagnall, and Thomas Phipps, Esq., are the principal landowners. The land is chiefly arable; soil, loamy. The chapel is dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, and has Norman and Early English work, stone stoup, and other relics. The late George Gwynn Elger, Esq., shortly before his death, caused plans to be prepared by Mr. Henry Woodyer, architect, of Guildford, Surrey, for the restoration and refitting of this church. The earliest register is dated 1711.
Bricklehampton Hall, the property and residence of Mrs. Elger, is an elegant mansion lying adjacent to the village.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Pershore. The wall letter-box is cleared at 5.20 p.m. on week-days only. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
St. Michael’s Church. – Rev. A.B. Crosse, Curate in Charge; Mr. Martin Crump, Churchwarden.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Charlotte Jarrett, Mistress.
Elger Mrs., Bricklehampton hall
Elger Lieut. John, Bricklehampton hall
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Collins William, shopkeeper
Crump Martin, farmer, The Poplars
Jarrett Miss Charlotte, Schoolmistress
Jarrett Mrs., St. Michael’s cottage
Moore Wm., farmer, Bricklehampton crt.
Peart Joseph M., farmer, The Oaklands
Taylor George, butcher
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Bricklehampton Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Bricklehampton is a small chapelry of St. Andrew’s, Pershore, distant about 3 miles, and 6 from Defford Station. There is a very handsome mansion here, the residence of Francis Woodward, Esq. The chapelry contained in 1851 a population of 170.
The Chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is an old stone edifice, in the early English style of architecture, with tower and three bells. Rev. Benjamin Hemming, Incumbent; Mr. Francis Holder, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
County Police Station – John Cowley, Officer.
Woodward Francis, Esq., Magistrate, Bricklehampton Hall
Beard John, shopkeeper
Bomford Thomas, farmer
Phipps Thomas, farmer
Tustin George, shoe maker
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury