Bredon’s Norton is a chapelry of Bredon Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.
Alternative names: Norton by Bredon
Parish church: St Giles
Parish registers begin: 1754
Parishes adjacent to Bredon’s Norton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORTON-BY-BREDON, or Bredons-Norton, a hamlet-chapelry in Bredon parish, Worcester; under Bredon hill, near the boundary with Gloucester, 1 mile SE of Bredon r. station, and 3½ N E by E of Tewkesbury. Post-town, Bredon, under Tewkesbury. Acres, 1, 100. Pop., 243. Houses, 55. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bredon, in the diocese of Worcester.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
NORTON-BY-BREDON, a chapelry, in the parish of Bredon, union of Tewkesbury, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Tewkesbury; containing 287 inhabitants. It is situated on the left bank of the river Avon; and the road from Pershore to Tewkesbury and the Birmingham and Gloucester railway traverse it in a parallel direction, from north to south. The area is 1097a. 30p. To the east of the village, at the foot of Bredon Hill, is Norton House, a handsome Elizabethan structure. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1814. The chapel, near the centre of the village, is a stone edifice, capable of seating 120 persons. When excavating for the railway, some Romanized-British or early Saxon remains were found, consisting of spear-heads, beads, &c.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Norton – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Bredon, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 6 miles N.N.E. from Tewkesbury, and 110 from London; containing 46 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 220 – 1811, 214 – 1821, 199.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Norton (near Bredon) Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Botheridge Thos., farmer.
Dudfield William, farmer
Higgins William, farmer
Miles Richard, farmer
Price John, farmer
Quarrell George, farmer
Sowley George, farmer
Swain John, farmer
Woodward John. farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Bredon with Norton and Cutsdean
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury