Bredon Worcestershire Family History Guide

Bredon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Cutsdean and Bredons Norton are chapelries of Bredon.

Other places in the parish include: Hardwick with Mitton, Westmancote, and Kinsham.

Parish church: St Giles

Parish registers begin: 1559

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Particular Baptist.

Parishes adjacent to Bredon

Historical Descriptions

Bredon

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Bredon, a village in the district of Tewkesbury, and a parish in the districts of Tewkesbury and Winchcombe, and county of Worcester. The village stands on the river Avon, adjacent to the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, 3 ½ miles NE of Tewkesbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Tewkesbury. Eanulf, grandfather of King Offa, got a grant of it from Ethelbald, King of Mercia; and founded at it a monastery, which was transferred, before the Conquest, to the see of Worcester. The parish includes the hamlets of Norton-by-Bredon, Hardwick-with-Mitton, Worcestershire, Kinsham, and Westmancote, and the chapelry of Cutsdean. Acres, 5,818. Real property, £11,608. Pop., 1,555. Houses, 366. Bredon hill separates the vales of Cotswold and Evesham; has an altitude of 900 feet; commands an extensive prospect; has traces of a Roman camp with a double trench; and is a meet for the Worcester hounds. Wollashill Hall is the ancient seat of the Hanfords. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Norton and Cutsdean, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £2,300. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church occupies the site of the ancient monastery; is an old and interesting edifice of different periods, chiefly early English; has a central tower, surmounted by a graceful spire; and was restored in 1845. The remains of Dr. Prideaux, bishop of Worcester in the time of Charles I., lie in the chancel; a rich monument of Giles Reed, of date 1611, is in a south chapel; and several ancient monastic tombs are in the churchyard. A free school has £116; an alms-house, £143; and other charities, £88.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bredon, 3 miles N.E. Tewkesbury. P. 1467

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BREDON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Tewkesbury, chiefly in the Middle, but partly in the Upper, division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Tewkesbury; containing, with the chapelries of Norton and Cutsdean, and the hamlets of Bredon, Hardwick with Mitton, Kinsham, and Westmancote, 1567 inhabitants. This place was given by Ethelbald, King of Mercia, before the year 716, to his kinsman, Eanulph, who founded a monastery here in honour of St. Peter, which, previously to the Conquest, was annexed to the bishopric of Worcester. The parish comprises by computation between 5000 and 6000 acres, of which 963 are in the hamlet of Bredon, and is situated on the road between Tewkesbury and Pershore; the river Avon separates it from Gloucestershire. The soil is in general strong, producing good wheat and beans. The Birmingham and Gloucester railway passes through the village, where there is a station. From Bredon Hill (on which are quarries of stone suitable for building) is a pleasing view of the vales of Evesham and Cotswold, including the winding course of the Severn: the hill is crowned by a Roman encampment with a double trench. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £72. 11. 0½.; net income, £1498, arising from 1100 acres of land, assigned in lieu of tithes, under inclosure acts, in 1775 and 1808; patron, Jacob Jones, Esq.: there is a glebe-house. The church has been recently restored by the incumbent and parishioners, and is a fine edifice with a tower and spire. The porch and principal doorways are excellent examples of the Norman style: the tower, which stands between the nave and chancel, is supported by an arch forming a good specimen of the transition style; the south transept is early English, and the north transept decorated English, as is also the chancel, remarkable for its windows. The edifice contains some very old and curious monuments; among them is a monument to the memory of Dr. Prideaux, who was dismissed from the bishopric of Worcester during the parliamentary war. There are chapels of ease at Cutsdean and Norton; and at Milton the ruins of a chapel. In the hamlet of Westmancote is a place of worship for Baptists. A Bluecoat school was founded in 1718, by William Hancocke, who endowed it with lands, which, with accumulations, now produce £115 per annum. An almshouse for eight single women was founded in 1696, by Catherine Reed, who endowed it with tithes, since exchanged for 138 acres of land worth £143 per annum.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Bredon – an extensive parish, in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 3 miles N.N.E. from Tewkesbury, and 109 from London; containing 202 inhabited houses. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly of Saxon architecture, built in the form of a cross, and considering its antiquity is in tolerable good repair.
John Prideaux, who was Bishop of Worcester during the civil war, in 1641, lies buried in this church. He was dismissed with an allowance of only 4s. 6d. per week; and although obliged to sell his books and furniture, to procure himself necessaries, yet he bore his reverses with fortitude and cheerfulness. One day passing through the village with something under his gown, a neighbour inquired what he had got; he replied, he had become an ostrich, and was forced to live upon iron; at the same time producing some old iron he was going to sell, to procure himself a meal.
Here is a good free school, for all the children belonging to the parish, well endowed, the funds of which appear to be judiciously applied. The chapelries of Norton, Mitton, and Cutsdean are annexed, with the hamlets of Westmancote, Kelmsham, and Hardwick. The living is a rectory, and one of the most valuable in the diocese; the Rev. John Keysall, incumbent; instituted 1806; patron, John Keysall, Esq. Population, 1801, 749 – 1811, 886 – 1821, 928.
Bredon Hill, on which are the remains of a Roman encampment, with a double ditch. On the declivity are a number of farms, villas, and plantations, with good pasture for sheep. Its perpendicular height is upwards of 800 feet, and on the summit is a lofty summer-house, commanding a most extensive view over the adjoining counties. In the side of the hill, is a chasm in the solid rock, about 200 yards long, and 15 feet wide, which opened a few years since, without any previous warning.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Kinsham

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Kinsham, or Kelmesham, a hamlet in the parish of Bredon, county of Worcester; 3½ miles north-east of Tewkesbury, intersected by the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Pop. returned with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Mittons

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Mittons, co. Worcester.
P. T. Tewkesbury (103) 4 m. NE. Pop. with Pa.
A hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Breedon and middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow; living, a curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, not in charge; patronage with Breedon rectory.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Westmancote

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Westmancoate, a hamlet in the parish of Bredon, county of Worcester; 5 miles north-east of Tewkesbury. Here is a place of worship belonging to the Baptists. Returns with those of the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Bankrupts

Discharge of Prisoners

The people listed below were discharged as a prisoners in the debtors prison.

Before the Judge of the County Court of Worcestershire holden at the Guildhall Worcester on Wednesday the 12th day of March 1851 at Ten o'clock in the Forenoon precisely. James Villar formerly of Piccadilly farm Prestbury near Cheltenham Gloucestershire Farmer then of the same and of Leckhampton near Cheltenham aforesaid Farmer and Dairyman then of Leckhampton near Cheltenham aforesaid Farmer Dairyman Corn and Hop Dealer and Maltster having a malthouse in Gloucester place Cheltenham aforesaid then of Close-cottage Shurdington near Cheltenham aforesaid out of business and late in lodgings at the Royal Oak Inn Bredon Worcestershire out of business his wife during the same time being in lodgings at Close-cottage Shurdington aforesaid. - The London Gazette 1851

Directories

Online Directories

Bredon Bennett's Business Directory for Worcestershire, 1914

Bentley's Directory of Bredon 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Bredon Bennetts Business Directory 1899

Attwood E, farmer, Kinsham
Bredon Gardening Co, florists and nurserymen
CLARKE H, family butcher, Royal Oak Inn. Good beds and stabling. Families waited upon daily for orders, and supplied with best quality of English meat.
Dyer N, farmer
Harris E, farmer, Kinsham
Hyatt T, farmer, Kinsham
LLOYD MRS H, coal and ale mcht. Prices quoted for truck loads to any station on application.
Martin J, farmer, Hardwick
Phillips W, farmer
Potter T, baker
Railway Inn – Sarah Horton
Reading Room, Parish Council Rooms
Skinner W, beer retailer
SUMMERS MISS F, milliner, fancy and general draper, near the Railway Station. Boots and shoes. Agent for P and P Campbell.
TRAPP W, tailor, Post Office. Gents’ and boys’ suits made to order
Wakefield J, farmer
Walker W, farmer, Hardwick
Weavin Mrs, farmer, Hardwick
WILKES A D, family grocer, provision dealer, druggist, etc. Agent for the British Tea Association and the Mazawattee Ceylon Tea Co, London

Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Worcestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham.

Mitton (near Bredon) Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Bartlett William, farmer
Pike Aaron, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Pershore
  • Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury