Bishampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Nonconformists in Bishampton include: Baptist and Society of Friends/Quaker.
Parishes adjacent to Bishampton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BISHAMPTON, a parish in Pershore district, Worcester; in the vale of Evesham, 3¼ miles N by W of Fladbury r. station, and 4½ NE of Pershore. Post Town, Pershore. Acres, 2,140. Real property, £2,540. Pop., 469. Houses, 105. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £103. Patron, the Bishop. The church was about to be rebuilt in 1869. There is a Baptist chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bishampton, a parish in the middle division of the hund, of Oswaldslow, union of Pershore, county of Worcester; 4½ miles north-east by north of Pershore. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £7 9s. 9½d.; gross income £113; in the patronage of the bishop of Worcester. Tithes, moduses, &c, the property of the bishop of Worcester and the vicar, were commuted in 1795. There is a daily school here. Pop., in 1801, 308; in 1831, 393. Houses 78. Acres 2,140. A. P. £2,478. Poor rates, in 1837, £167.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Bishampton, a parish in the middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county of Worcester, 5½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Pershore, containing 374 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £7. 9. 9½., endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. Peter.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Bishampton – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 7 miles N.N.W. from Evesham, and 103 from London, containing 73 inhabited houses. It is a vicarage; Rev. Henry Southall, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 308 – 1811, 290 – 1821, 374.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
The following records for Bishampton are available free from FamilySearch.
Birth, Marriage, & Death
Bishampton Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905
Distances – 3½ miles N. from Fladbury Station, 5 N.E. from Pershore, and 11½ S.E. from Worcester.
Population – In 1901, 340. Acreage, 1840.
Postal Information – Albert H. Salmon, Sub-postmaster. Letters received through Pershore arrive at 7.15 a.m. and 3.45 p.m., despatched at 9.40 a.m. and 5. 50 p.m. Postal orders are issued and paid here. Letter-box near the Church cleared at 9.10 a.m. and 5.35 p.m. week-days only. Fladbury is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Parish Church (St. James) – Rev. G. Gurney Coombs, B.A., Vicar; George Day and Mrs. Brooks, Churchwardens; Herbert Hemming, Parish Clerk.
Baptist Chapel – Ministers various.
Elementary School. (Mixed – Henry A. Molineux, Master; Miss Evelyn Stanton, Assistant Mistress.
Bishampton Institute – Rev. G. Gurney Coombs, B. A., President; H. A. Molineux, Secretary.
Assistant Overseer – Alfred Lewis, Union Inn, Flyford Flavell.
Bluck Richard, farmer, Ivy house
Brooks Mrs. Jane, carrier and shopkeeper
Brookes William, wheelwright and carpenter, Bishampton. Estimates given for general work. Repairs promptly executed.
Coombs Rev. G. Gurney, The Vicarage
Corbishley Geoffry [sic], farmer, Singer Bush hall
Day George, farmer, Church farm
Day Richard, farmer, The Larches
Day William, farmer, Manor farm
Ewins James, bricklayer
Farley William, shoemaker The Rookery
Harris John B., roadman
Holder William, police constable
Jones Thos. William, Dolphin Inn, Bishampton. Ales, wines, spirits, and cigars of the best quality. Parties catered for. Large smoke room.
Knight Thomas, carpenter
Lloyd David, farmer
Malins William, gardener
Niblett James, wheelwright
Reeves Joseph, grafter and gardener
Rymall Mrs., Petworth house
Smith Albert, farmer
Smith Hemming, bricklayer
Spiers George, carpenter
Stanton Alb. H., shpkpr. & baker, post office
Wheeler William, blacksmith
Workman Henry, butcher
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Bishampton Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879
Bishampton, or Bishop Hampton, was formerly a chapelry of Fladbury, but is now a parish, distant 10 miles E.S.E. of Worcester, 7 N.N.W. of Evesham, 4 ½ N. of Pershore railway station (5 ½ from the town of Pershore), and 3 N.W. of Fladbury station on the Great Western railway. It is in the eastern division of the county, Middle Oswaldslow hundred, Upton Snodsbury highway district, Pershore union, petty sessional division, county court district, and polling district, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry, and Feckenham rural deanery. The acreage is 2,140; annual rateable value, £2,613; population in 1861, 469; in 1871, 492, with 102 inhabited houses, and 126 families or separate occupiers. The soil is marl and clay; chief crops, wheat, beans, barley, and turnips. The Duc D’Aumale (the lord of the manor), Henry Porter, Esq., and William Laslett, Esq., are the principal landowners. The church of St. James was rebuilt in 1870, except the tower, at a cost of £2,000, towards which the Bishop of Worcester, the Duc D’Aumale, and the late Miss Porter, each gave £500. The architect was Frederick Preedy, Esq., of London, and the builder, Mr. J. Griffiths, of Eldersfield, in this county. It is a stone edifice in the Gothic style, with chancel, nave, and a chapel in south aisle. New pinnacles have been placed on the tower, which otherwise remains unaltered. The iron frame, which in the 17th century held the sermon hour-glass in the pulpit, is preserved. The register dates from the year 1599. The living is a vicarage, annual value £250, arising from 78 acres of glebe, and an annuity of £100 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; patron, the Bishop of Worcester; vicar, the Rev. Henry Niven, M.A., St. John’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1850. There are national and Sunday schools, supported partly by the Duc D’Aumale and partly by the inhabitants. The parochial school is under Diocesan inspection; average attendance, 62. The Baptists have a small chapel here, erected in 1844. Among the charities are the proceeds of 4 acres, 1 rood, 19 perches to keep the church in repair; two tenements called “Babylon,” left by Mrs. Wallbank, and some small sums for the benefit of the poor.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Pershore. The letter-box (near the school) is cleared at 4.45 p.m. on week-days only. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. James’s). – Rev. Henry Niven, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. John Lidsey and William Stevens, Churchwardens; William Ford, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls). – Miss S. J. Warren, Mistress.
Baptist Chapel. – Ministers various.
Carrier to Worcester and Evesham. – John Atkins, on Saturdays to Worcester, and Mondays to Evesham.
Niven Rev. Hy., M.A. (vicar), the Vicarage
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Ansell Thomas, tailor
Atkins John, market gardener & carrier
Brookes Thomas, wheelwright
Cole John, farmer, Dean Lodge farm
Davis George, shopkpr. and wheelwright
Dorrell William, farmer
Farley William, boot and shoe maker
Ford William, parish clerk
Ganderton Wm., tailor and beer retailer
Green Mrs. Eliza, farmer
Hamblin James, cottage farmer
Horne Mrs., cottage farmer
Knight George, farmer
Lidsey John, farmer, Singer’s Bush hall
Niblett James, wheelwright and farmer, Vicarage farm
Nightingale Mrs. C., farmer, Lower field
Spiers Benjamin, shopkpr. & cot. Farmer
Spiers Joseph, blacksmith
Stanton Albert Henry, shopkeeper
Stephens Wm., Dolphin Inn, & farmer
Warren Miss S. J., schoolmistress
Workman David Malins, farmer
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Bishampton Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Bishampton is a village and parish, distant 5 ½ miles from Pershore, and 10 from Worcester; it contains 2140 statute acres, and a population of 451 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a very old stone building, in the Gothic style of architecture, with a tower of three stages, containing six bells.
The only monument worthy of note is to Colonel John Callows, a lieutenant-governor of Quebec, who died in 1810. the living is a Discharged Vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. Henry Niven, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Moses Ford, Clerk. Service 11 a.m. and 2 30 p.m.
There is a School on the National system, chiefly supported by the Earl of Harrowby, at whose expense the school-room, as well as a house for the mistress, was erected. Average number of scholars, 60.
Charities – The charities of his place are but few, the principal of which are – £150 left by James Clarke, Esq., and £20 by Mrs. Mary Wallbank, the interest of which is annually distributed amongst the poor of the parish.
Niven Rev. Henry, M.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Ansell Thomas, tailor
Beck John, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Brookes William, wheelwright
Chattaway William, farmer
Cowley Richard, grocer and provision dealer
Curnock John, farmer
Davis George, blacksmith and wheelwright
Dorrell Thomas, farmer
Farley William, shoe maker
Firkins William, farmer
Fletcher John, farmer
Ford Moses, carpenter and Parish Clerk
Ganderton John, tailor and draper
Green John, farmer
Hamblin James, shoe maker
Hemus Miss E., preparatory day and boarding school
Kings Thomas, farmer
Niblett Benjamin, carpenter
Nightingale William R., farmer
Spiers Richard, farmer, Vicarage Farm
Stevens Joseph, farmer, Dean Lodge
Stevens Robert, baker
Tyler John, victualler, The Dolphin
Willetts William, farmer, Singer’s Bush Hall
Woodward Emma, beer retailer, The Dog
Carrier – To Worcester, Noon, Sat., 6 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Bishampton Worcestershire – Bentley’s History and Directory of the borough of Evesham 1840
Bishampton is a parish and Village 4 miles N.N.E. of Pershore, and 7 N.N.W. of Evesham. The parish contains near 2,000 acres, exempt from Tithe; the population is 440. In 1832, two skeletons (females) and two daggers were found here. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Southall, B.A.; the church is at the N. end of the village, of Gothic architecture, erected in the twelfth century; the S. W. side of the tower, presents an ancient, yet beautiful appearance; the church will seat 240; service once each Sunday, morning and afternoon alternately; and Moses Ford, is clerk. A short time ago, the Rev. H. Southall erected a small barrel organ in the singing gallery, at an expense of £40. A School was erected by Lord Harrowby, in 1840, at an expense of from £30. to £40., taught on Bell’s system, and chiefly supported by Lords Harrowby and Sandon.
Beck John, blacksmith
Brooke Philip B., boarding and day school master
Brookes W. wheelwright, &c.
Bullock William, school teacher
Curnock John, sen.
Curnock John, jun. farmer
Dorrell James, farmer
Davies Ann, dressmaker
Davies Joseph, blacksmith
Farley William, shoemaker
Firkins William, farmer
Fletcher John, farmer
Ford M. wheelwright and parish clerk
Ganderton J. tailor and draper
Green John, farmer
Hale W. shopkeeper and carrier
Hill Thomas, vict. Dolphin
Kings John, beerseller
Kings Thomas, farmer
Niblett B. wheelwright & builder
Nightingale W. R. farmer
Southall Rev. Henry, B.A. Vicarage House
Spiers R. farmer, Vicarage farm
Stephens Robert, baker
Tustin William, shoemaker
Wagstaff M. maltster & butcher
Willetts Benjamin, farmer
Williams J. builder and wheelwright
Woodward J. & F. farmers, Dean Lodge
Woodward Mrs. Mary
To Evesham, W. Hale, Mon. To Redditch, Tues. and to Worcester, Sat.
Source: Bentley’s history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley’s history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury