Birtsmorton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative names: Birts Morton
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin: 1539
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Birtsmorton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BIRTSMORTON, a parish in Upton-on-Severn district Worcester; under the Malvern hills, 5½ miles SW of Upton-on-Severn r. station, and 7 WNW of Tewkesbury. Post Town, Berrow, under Ledbury. Acres, 1,268. Real property, £2,101. Pop., 289. Houses, 68. The property is much subdivided. The manor was long held by the ancient Cornish family of Nanfaus; and the manor-house a very ancient edifice, moated round, and now a farmhouse, was the birthplace of the Right Hon. W. Huskisson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £430. Patron,Pilson, Esq. The church contains several curious ancient monuments, and was repaired in 1859. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school and charities £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Birtsmorton, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 5½ miles south-west of Upton-upon-Severn. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £7 8s. 1½d.; gross income £200. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. S. Thackwell. Here is a charity school, endowed, in 1703, by the Rev. Samuel Juice; and farther endowed, some years since, with the interest of £300, bequeathed by Lady Judith Coote. Birtsmorton was long the property of a very ancient family, of Cornish origin, the Nanfaus. The manor-house, moated round, is of great antiquity, the rooms are all wainscotted and carved with armorial bearings. In the church are many curious monuments. Pop., in 1801, 238; in 1831, 311 Houses 52. Acres 1,410. A. P. £1,537. Poor rates, in 1837, £118.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Birts-Morton, 4 miles S.W. Upton-upon-Severn. P. 313
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Birts-Morton, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county of Worcester, 5¼ miles (S.W.) from Upton upon Severn, containing 236 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £7. 8. 1½. J. Thackwell, Esq. was patron in 1800. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. A charity school was endowed by Samuel Juice, in 1703, for the instruction of boys, a few of whom are clothed by means of a separate fund. The manor-house is an ancient edifice, surrounded by a moat still very perfect.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Birts-Morton – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 4 miles S.W. from Upton-on-Severn, and 108 from London, containing 41 inhabited houses. The manor-house, which is moated round, is very ancient, and the rooms are wainscoted and carved with armorial bearings. The Earl of Bellamont was buried here in 1766: in the church-yard is a raised monument to perpetuate his memory. The living is a rectory; Rev. S. Thackwell, incumbent; instituted 1800; patron, J. Thackwell, Esq. Population, 1801, 238 – 1811, 235 – 1821, 236.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Marriages at Birtsmorton 1539 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Birts Morton Billings Directory 1855
Birt’s Morton is a small village and parish, about 6 ½ miles S.W. from Upton, 7 W. from Tewkesbury, and 7 S.E. from Ledbury, containing a population according to the last census of 318 inhabitants.
Morton Court is a very ancient edifice, entirely surround by a moat, which is in a very perfect state.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a stone building, with square tower and four bells. The edifice does not contain any architectural features worthy of note. The living is a Rectory. Rev. Stephen Thackwell, M.A., Rector; Rev. Stephen Thackwell, jun., M.A., Curate; Mr. John Stephens, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
There is a small Wesleyan Chapel in the parish. No stated minister. Service – 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Rayer Mr. John
Thackwell Rev. Stephen, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Thackwell Rev. Stephen, jun., M.A., Curate
Brotheridge John, cider retailer and shopkeeper, Birts’ Street
Goodman Thomas, farmer, Rye Street
Gould Charles, jun., farmer
Grubb Oliver, farmer, Rye Street
Hart William, farmer, Miller’s Farm
Hawkins George, farmer
Hawkins Thomas, farmer, Rye Street
Jakeman William, shopkeeper, Birts’ Street
Lewis Henry, farmer
Pitt William, farmer, Birts’ Street
Pope Elizabeth, farmer, Morton Court
Pye George, farmer, Birts’ Street
Stephens John, Parish Clerk
Wadley John, sen., farmer
Wadley John, farmer, Birts’ Street
Wadley William, dealer
Weaver Mrs., farmer
White John, cider retailer, Comb Green
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Birt’s Morton Worcestershire – Bentley’s History and Directory of the borough of Evesham 1840
Birt’s Morton is a parish including the village of Birt’s Street full ¾ of a mile N. of the highway from Tewkesbury to Ledbury; the parish contains a population of 366, and an area of 1,199 acres, producing wheat, beans, &c. The village is 17 miles from Worcester, 8 from Tewkesbury, and 7 from Upton on Severn, in Upton Union.
The church is near a mile S.E. of the village, and is an ancient cruciform edifice, with a window of stained glass; in the chancel is a monument of marble, erected in memory of William Caldwall, Esq. The living is a rectory in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. Stephen Thackwell, M.A.; the Rev. William John Morris, B.A., is curate;—sittings for 126;—service Sunday morning at 11, and 3 in the afternoon, in summer, and at half-past 10 and half-past 2 in winter; and J. Clissett is clerk. There is a free school near the Rye, but no free scholars are taught, though the master receives about £30 a year.
Brotheridge J. shopkeeper, Birt-street
Brotheridge M., farmer, Birt’s-st.
Clissett John, parish clerk
Cook John, tailor, The Common
Cooper W., farmer, Birt’s-st.
Dudfield J., butcher, Birt’s-st.
Fisher R., blacksmith, Birt’s-street
Grafton W., farmer, Coomb-gr
Grubb O., farmer, Rye-st.
Jakeman E., shoemaker, Birt’s-st.
Jakeman G., tailor, Birt’s-st.
Jakeman W., shopkeeper, Birt’s street
Morris W., school master, Rye-st.
Pitt W., wheelwright, Birt’s-st.
Pope E., farmer, Court
Price J., farmer, Rye-street
Sivil Thos., farmer, Birt’s-st.
Smith W., farmer, Birt’s-st.
Thackwell Rev. Stephen, M.A., Rectory House
Wadley J., farmer, Birt’s st.
Wadley W., farmer, Birt’s-st.
White J., carpenter, Coomb-gr.
Source: Bentley’s history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley’s history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.
Birtsmorton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Birtsmorton, 4 miles from Upton-upon-Severn, containing 45 houses, and 238 inhabitants.
Badham Joseph, farmer
Badham Francis, farmer
Beale Benj., carpenter
Berry Thos., shopkeeper
Bray Elizabeth, farmer
Brotheridge C., farmer
Bull Charles, farmer, &c.
Cowton James, farmer
Cross Francis, farmer
Cross Robert, farmer
Hart James, gent.
Jenkins James, carpenter
Kerby James, farmer
Lane John, farmer
Morris W., schoolmaster
Pitt John, carpenter
Thrackwell Wm., farmer
Tomlins Wm., farmer
Wadley Wm., horse dealer
Wadley J., horse dealer
Western George, higler
White John, carpenter
Williams George, gent.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury