Birlingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St James the Great
Parish registers begin: 1566
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Birlingham
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
Parishes adjacent to Birlingham
- Pershore St Andrew with Pershore Holy Cross
- Great Comberton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Birlingham, a parish in Pershore district, Worcester; on the river Avon, 1½ mile E of Defford r. station, and 2½ SSW of Pershore. It has a post office under Pershore. Acres, 1,210. Real property, £3,847. Pop., 353. Houses, 74. The property is divided among a few. Birlingham Court is the seat of the Porter family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £205. Patron, the Rev. R. E. Landor. The church is mainly modern, but has an old tower, and includes an ancient Saxon arch. Charities, £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Birlingham, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Pershore, county of Worcester, 8 miles (S.S.W.) from Pershore, containing 327 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £9. 17. 11. A. Luders, Esq. was patron in 1829. The church is dedicated to St. James. The navigable river Avon forms a boundary to the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Birlingham – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 3 miles S.W. from Pershore, and 103 from London; containing 52 inhabited houses: the principal part of the freeholders in this parish farm their own land. This was formerly a chapelry to Nafford, but the mother church was destroyed long since, and Birlingham is now the parish church: it is a small neat edifice, in tolerable good repair. It is a rectory; Rev. Alexander Luders, incumbent in his own right. Population, 1801, 353 – 1811, 373 – 1821, 327.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Birlingham Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879
Birlingham is a village and parish 3 miles S.W. of Pershore, 6 N.E. of Upton-on-Severn, 11 S.E. of Worcester, 1 mile, E. of Defford, and the same distance N.E. of Eckington station on the Birmingham and Bristol branch of the Midland railway. It is almost surrounded by the river Avon and Defford Brook, and is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Pershore; in the union, county court district, petty sessional division, polling district, and rural deanery of Pershore, and in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester. It is assessed to the county rate at £3,676. the area of the parish is 1,210 acres; population in 1861, 353; in 1871, 339, with 75 inhabited houses, and 91 families or separate occupies. The land is fertile, a large portion being meadow and orchard. Asham meadow, about 60 acres is commonable land after the gathering of hay. The Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor of Birlingham. The principal landowners are Henry Porter, Esq., and Robert Woodward, Esq. William Hanford Flood, Esq., of Woollashall (who by marriage with Miss Hanford now represents the old Hanford family of Woollashall or Woolleshill), is lord of the manor of Nafford. The church (St. James’s), which is in the Decorated Gothic style, was rebuilt (with the exception of the tower) in 1871, the cost being defrayed by a bequest of the late rector, the Rev. Robert Eyres Landor. It consists of chancel, nave with aisles, and south porch. Mr. B. Ferrey, of London, was the architect, The register begins with the year 1566. The church was formerly a chapel to Nafford, and the living is still described as Nafford with Birlingham; but the site of Nafford church is now lost. The living is a rectory, annual value £230, with residence and 79 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the trustees of the Rev. R. Landor, and is held by the Rev. Rashleigh Duke, B.A., of Queen’s College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1869. A parochial school, erected and endowed by the late Miss Porter, was opened in 1855, and there are also almshouses for eight poor parishioners, but without endowment. There are several delightful residences in this parish:- Birlingham, the residence of Mrs. Porter, in an elegant mansion, beautifully situated, and commanding magnificent views of the surrounding country. The interior is fitted up with great taste, and is adorned with many valuable paintings by eminent artists. Birlingham Court-house is occupied by Forester Britten, Esq., J.P., and The Moors is the residence of Joseph Woodward, Esq.
Postal Regulations – Matthew Gibbs, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Pershore at 7 a.m. ; despatched thereto at 6 p.m. Eckington is the nearest money-order office. Defford station is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Pershore.
Parish Church (St. James’s). – Rev. Rashleigh Duke, B.A., Rector; Messrs. Walter Jones and Joseph Woodward, Churchwardens; Albert Bowers, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls). – Miss Elizabeth Ann Cooke, Mistress.
Carrier to Worcester – Joseph Cockbill, every Saturday; returning from the Union Inn, Cadastres, at 4 p.m. the same day.
Britten Forrester, Esq., J. P., Birlingham Court house
Duke Rev. Rashleigh B.A. (rector of Nafford with Birlingham), The Rectory
Porter Mrs. Birlingham mansion
Woodward Joseph, Esq., The Moors
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Aldington William, shoeing and general smith and edge-toolmaker
Atwood Esther, shopkeeper
Bowers Albert, parish clerk
Cockbill Joseph, mkt. gardener & carrier
Cooke Miss E. A., schoolmistress
Day William, farm bailiff for Mrs. Porter
Gibbs Matthew, carpenter, wheelwright, shopkeeper and sub-postmaster
Goodall Edmund, farmer and butcher, New farm
Jones Walter, miller, Nafford mill
Phelps Samuel, farmer, Hall farm
Phelps William, farmer
Roper James, carpenter and wheelwright
Skinner Mrs. Sarah, farmer, Upper end
Smith George, farmer, Box cottage
Smithin Mrs., farmer Lower end
Taylor Thomas, beer retailer (Swan)
Woodward Joseph, farmer and landowner, The Moors
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Birlingham Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Birlingham is a small, retired village and parish, almost surrounded by the river Avon, in the Upper Division of the Hundred of Pershore, from which place it is distant about 3 miles S.S.W., 6 E. from Upton, 11 S.E. from Worcester, about a mile N.E. from the Eckington station, and about the same distance E. from the Defford station of the Birmingham and Bristol Railway. It contained in 1851 a population of 370 inhabitants, and an area of 1210 statute acres.
There are several delightful residences in this parish, amongst which we may mention the elegant mansion of the Misses Porter; the Court House, occupied by Mrs. E. H. Risdon; and the residence of Mr. Joseph Woodward.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a very handsome stone structure, which, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt during the last century. The tower is probably of the eleventh or twelfth century. There are the remains of several Saxon arches in the interior, and the windows in the chancel contain some fine specimens of ancient stained glass. The living is a Rectory. Rev. Robert E. Landor, M.A., Rector; Mr. William Hancocks, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The Parochial Schools are supported by the Misses Porter. Miss Hancocks, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 30.
Charities - There are eight Almshouses, endowed by the late Mr. Porter, for poor parishioners of Birlingham. There have been also several sums of money left for the benefit of the poor, which are distributed annually.
Landor Rev. Robert E., Rector, Rectory
Porter The Misses Phoebe and Ann, The Mansion
Risdon Mrs. E. H., Court House
Attwood Abel, shopkeeper
Attwood Esther, shopkeeper
Bradley John, carrier to Worcester
Brotheridge Mrs. S. E., Sub-Postmistress
Butt John, victualler and shopkeeper
Clements Mrs. Sarah, farmer
Dufty William, market gardener
Etheridge James, boot and shoe maker
Goodall James, butcher and farmer
Hancocks William, builder and Parish Clerk
Pitcher Thomas, farmer and gardener; and at Defford
Procter Richard, miller and corn merchant, Nafford Mills
Sherring James, bailiff to Mr. J. Woodward
Skinner William, farmer, Upper End
Smith Francis, beer retailer and market gardener
Smith William, tailor
Smithin Joseph, farmer
Summers Samuel, carpenter and hurdle maker
Turbeville Giles, tailor, Gravelly Hill
Woodward Josh., farmer; and at Badsey
Post Office - Mrs. S. E. Brotheridge, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 8 a.m.; despatch, 5 p.m.
Carrier - To Worcester, John Bradley, Sat., 6 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Birlingham Worcestershire - Bentley's History and Directory of the borough of Evesham 1840
Birlingham is a fertile parish about 2½ miles S.W. of Pershore, the village contains several respectable houses, and the parish being almost surrounded by the winding Avon, the scenery is delightful; it contains 1,218 acres, the population is about 360. The church is a neat stone structure, with a tower containing 5 bells; in the chancel there are 2 windows of ancient stained glass, and the church contains 176 seats; the living is a rectory, in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. Robert Eyres Landor; service commences at 11 in the morning, and 3 in the afternoon ; W. Handcock, is clerk, and there is a Sunday school connected with the Church.
The late Miss Martha Porter left £200. to the poor of the parish, also £200. to the Sunday School, £1. per year of the interest goes towards the repair of the church clock. Here are 8 Alms-houses with gardens, founded by the late Thomas Chinnall Porter, in the year 1824.
Aldington John, blacksmith
Attwood Abel, shopkeeper
Barnard John, miller
Barnard W. miller, Nafford Mill
Bick J. H. B. maltster
Broomhall Edmund, butcher
Butt John, beerseller
Clemens W. farmer Burlingham Hall
Dufty William, farmer
Etheridge J. boot and Shoemaker
Handcock William, carpenter
Knott W. auditor of the Pershore Union
Landor Rev. R. E. Birlingham
Pearce Joseph, farmer
Pitcher T. Butcher and farmer
Porter Miss Anne
Porter Mrs Martha
Porter Miss Phoebe
Quarrell James, labourer
Risdon Benjamin Esq., Birlingham Court House
Skinner William, farmer
Smithin Joseph, farmer
Smith Francis, gardner
Smith William, shoemaker
Turbeville Giles, shopkeeper and tailor
Woakes G. H. maltster and hop merchant
Woodward Joseph, farmer
Woodward William, land agent
To Worcester, William Smith, Saturday.
Source: Bentley's history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley's history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.
Birlingham Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Birlingham, 3 miles from Pershore, containing 70 houses, and 353 inhabitants.
Barnard William, miller
Baylis John, maltster
Broomhall John, tailor
Claridge Will, farmer
Clemens James, farmer
Collins Wm., wheelwright
Dufty William, farmer
Ferris William, glazier
Luders Rev. Mr.
Porter T. C. Esq.
Porter Benj. Esq.
Risdon Benj. gent.
Smith Frances, gardener
Smithen Margaret, farmer
Taylor Richard, farmer
Woodward Wm, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Pershore
- Petty Sessional Division: Pershore
- Polling District: Pershore