Birlingham is a fertile parish about 2½ miles S.W. of Pershore, the village contains several respectable houses, and the parish being almost surrounded by the winding Avon, the scenery is delightful; it contains 1,218 acres, the population is about 360. The church is a neat stone structure, with a tower containing 5 bells; in the chancel there are 2 windows of ancient stained glass, and the church contains 176 seats; the living is a rectory, in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. Robert Eyres Landor; service commences at 11 in the morning, and 3 in the afternoon ; W. Handcock, is clerk, and there is a Sunday school connected with the Church.
The late Miss Martha Porter left £200. to the poor of the parish, also £200. to the Sunday School, £1. per year of the interest goes towards the repair of the church clock. Here are 8 Alms-houses with gardens, founded by the late Thomas Chinnall Porter, in the year 1824.
Aldington John, blacksmith
Attwood Abel, shopkeeper
Barnard John, miller
Barnard W. miller, Nafford Mill
Bick J. H. B. maltster
Broomhall Edmund, butcher
Butt John, beerseller
Clemens W. farmer Burlingham Hall
Dufty William, farmer
Etheridge J. boot and Shoemaker
Handcock William, carpenter
Knott W. auditor of the Pershore Union
Landor Rev. R. E. Birlingham
Pearce Joseph, farmer
Pitcher T. Butcher and farmer
Porter Miss Anne
Porter Mrs Martha
Porter Miss Phoebe
Quarrell James, labourer
Risdon Benjamin Esq., Birlingham Court House
Skinner William, farmer
Smithin Joseph, farmer
Smith Francis, gardner
Smith William, shoemaker
Turbeville Giles, shopkeeper and tailor
Woakes G. H. maltster and hop merchant
Woodward Joseph, farmer
Woodward William, land agent
To Worcester, William Smith, Saturday.
Source: Bentley’s history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley’s history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.