Beoley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Nonconformists in Beoley include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Beoley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Beoley, a parish in Kings-Norton district, Worcester; on the verge of the county, 2½ miles NE of Redditch r. station. Post Town, Redditch, under Bromsgrove. Acres, 4,480. Real property, £6,809. Pop., 682. Houses, 151. An ancient castle, of which very slight traces remain, belonged successively to the noble families of Mortimer, Beauchamp, and Holland. Beoley Hall is the seat of Capt. R. Mole. The parish is a meet for the North Warwick hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £73. Patron, W. Holmes, Esq. The church is ancient. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Beoley, 6¼ m. E. Bromesgrove. P. 657
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Beoley The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Beoley, anciently, perhaps, Beaulieu, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Pershore, county of Worcester; 7 miles east of Bromsgrove, in the neighbourhood of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £7 16s. 10½ d.; gross income £74. Patron, in 1835, Wm. Holmes. There is a day and boarding school here. In the vicinity was an ancient castle — of which very slight traces now remain — which belonged successively to the noble families of Mortimer, Beauchamp, and Holland. Pop., in 1801, 630; in 1831, 673. Houses 131. Acres 4,700. A. P. £5,322. Poor rates, in 1837, £490.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Beoley Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Beoley – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 7 miles E. from Bromsgrove, and 110 from London, on the borders of Warwickshire, containing 119 houses. It is a vicarage; Rev. John Bartlam, incumbent; instituted 1800; patron, Thomas Hunter, Esq. – Population, 1801, 630 – 1811, 671 – 1821, 640.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Beoley Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Beoley is a small parish, situated about 5 miles E. from Bromsgrove, and contained in 1851 a population of 654 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is a very ancient stone building, consisting of nave and chancel, and at the western end is a large square tower, containing six bells. Rev. C. F. Sculthorpe, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Charles Foster, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Police Station. William Cresswell, Officer
Sculthorpe Rev. C. F., M.A., Vicar, The Vicarage
Sculthorpe Mrs. Ann
Allcock John, Wheelwright and carpenter
Arnold William, shoe maker
Avery Ann, farmer, Birchacre
Bennett William, shoe maker
Chesshire James, farmer and farrier
Dunn John, farmer, Alderhanger, and near Lea Farm
Edwards William, farmer, Battens
Findon Joseph, farmer, Marl Field
Forster Charles, Hole House
Forster John, farmer, Dagnel End
Ganderton William, victualler and farmer, The Bowling Green
Green Edward, Farmer, Hob Hill
Griffin John, farmer, Madeley Green
Green Thomas, Pink Green
Green William, blacksmith and farmer
Hancocks Job, farmer, Heath Green
Hancocks Joseph, farmer, Sea Fields
Hemus Henry, blacksmith
Homer Job, shopkeeper
Johns Samuel, victualler, The Holly Bush
Johnson James, gamekeeper to Miss H. Holmes
Knight John, farmer, Paper Mill; also of Beoley Mill
Leake Thomas, farmer
Lees Henry, farmer, Holt End
Lilly Samuel, farmer, Hole End
Long Charles, plumber and glazier
Lyndon William, farmer, Branson’s Cross
Morrall John, farmer, Chapel Farm
Oakley John, farmer, Portway Farm
Parr Thomas, Farmer and paper maker
Poole William, mason
Porter John, shopkeeper and shoe maker
Powell William, farmer and carrier, Holt End
Quiney John, farmer, Dump House
Richards Charles, tailor
Smith Ann, shopkeeper
Smith Hannah, farmer, Whitmore’s Farm
Terry Edward, mason
Terry James, mason
Timmis Thomas, farmer, Pot End
Whateley John, builder and timber valuer
Whitmore John, shopkeeper
Woods David, tailor
Woollaston, steward to Miss H. Holmes
Woollaston John, jun., farmer, Church Hill
Carriers – To Birmingham, Powell William, Thurs., 8 a.m.; Harris, Thurs, 8 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Beoley Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Beoley, 7 miles from Bromsgrove, on the boundaries of Warwickshire, containing 126 houses, and 630 inhabitants.
Allcock Edward, farmer
Avery Widow, farmer
Barnbrook – , farmer
Bartlett Rev. John
Battin Thomas, farmer
Baylis E. , farmer
Bold John, farmer
Boulton Richard, farmer
Carr Christ., farmer
Collins James, farmer
Cranmor John, farmer
Crowley William, farmer
Davis John, farmer
Green Thomas, farmer
Griffin Thomas, farmer
Griffiths Edward, farmer
Haines Jonathan, farmer
Hough Samuel, farmer
Hunt Joseph, farmer
Hunter Thomas, Esq.
Hutton John, farmer
Johnson James, farmer
King William, farmer
Lea William, farmer
Lea John, farmer
Mander William, farmer
Mills Matthew, Esq.
Mountford Thos., farmer
Newry Thomas, farmer
Parker Rev. T.
Pitts John, farmer
Porter John, farmer
Sabil Joseph, farmer
Smallwood James, farmer
Smith Joseph, farmer
Sumner James, farmer
Taylor John, farmer
Turvey John, farmer
Walford John, farmer
Walford Wm, farmer
Whitmore Wm, farmer
Whitmore Widow, farmer
Woods Thomas, farmer
Woollaston John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Church Records – Indexes
World War 1 Service Records
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Kings Norton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Droitwich
- Poor Law Union: Kings Norton
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury