Bengeworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Table of Contents
Parishes adjacent to Bengeworth
Historical Descriptions of Bengeworth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BENGEWORTH-ST. PETER, a parish in Evesham district, Worcester; on the river Avon, and the Ash-church and Evesham railway, with a r. station, 1¼ mile SW of Evesham. Post Town, Evesham. Acres, returned with Evesham. Real property, £6,720. Pop., 1,259. Houses, 254. The property is not much divided. A castle here belonged to the Beauchamps; and was destroyed, in 1156, by the Abbot of Evesham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £158. Patron, the Rev. W. Harker. The church occupies the site of the Beauchamps' castle; and is a substantial edifice, with a handsome tower and spire. A school endowed by John Deacle, a native of Bengeworth and an alderman of London, has an income of £256; and other charities have £86.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bengeworth The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bengeworth (St. Peter), a parish in the hund. of Blackenhurst, union of Evesham, county of Worcester; one-half mile south-east of Evesham, within the jurisdiction of that borough, of which, though situated on the opposite side of the Avon, it may be considered a part, as it participates in its election and corporate privileges. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £7 10s. 10d.; gross income £158. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. Mr Allies. The church has a handsome tower and spire. The great and small tithes, the property of the lay-impropriator and perpetual curate, were commuted in 1775. Here is a free school for 30 boys, towards the foundation and endowment of which, John Deacle, a native of this place, and an alderman of London, gave £2,000. There are also a daily school, and three day and boarding schools, in this parish. Pop., in 1801, 672; in 1831, 965. Houses 195. Acreage with Evesham. A.P. £4,839. Poor rates, in 1837, £493.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Bengeworth Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Bengeworth – a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, lower division, adjoining Evesham; 97 miles from London; containing 179 houses. It is situated on the south side of the river Avon, and though locally distinct from Evesham, it participates in all the rights and privileges of that borough, with which it was incorporated in the third year of the reign of James the First, at the instance of his son Henry Prince of Wales, as appears from some verses at the head of the charter. Here is an excellent free school for educating and clothing thirty of the poorest boys of the parish, in the style of Christ’s Hospital, London. This was founded and liberally endowed by a Mr. Deacle, formerly an inhabitant of this place. The living is a perpetual curacy; Rev. John Shaw, incumbent; patron, – Talbot, Esq. Population, 1801, 672 – 1811, 715 – 1821, 853.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
The following records for Bengeworth are available free from FamilySearch.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Evesham
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Evesham Borough
- Province: Canterbury