Last Updated:

Bayton, Worcestershire Family History Guide

Mamble has a separate entry

Ecclesiastical Parish: Mamble with Bayton, created in 1669 from Mamble Ancient Parish and Bayton Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Mamble with Bayton

Other places in the parish include: Mamble and Shakenhurst.

The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew

Parish registers begin: 1737

Nonconformists in Mamble with Bayton Ecclesiastical Parish: Roman Catholic

Parishes adjacent to Bayton

Historical Description of Bayton

Bayton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Bayton, a parish in the district of Cleobury-Mortimer and county of Worcester; on the verge of the county, 6 miles W by S of Bewdley r. station. It has a post office under Bewdley. Acres, 1,960. Real property, £2,587. Pop., 447. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Mamble, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bayton, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Doddingtree, county of Worcester; 6 miles west by south of Bewdley. Living, a discharged vicarage united with that of Mamble. The great and small tithes, moduses, &c., the property of the vicar, were commuted in 1814. There are two daily and two Sunday schools here. Pop., in 1801, 389; in 1831, 445. Houses 88. Acres 1,960. A.P. £1,904. Poor rates, in 1837, £121.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Bayton, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester, 1¾ mile (SE. by S.) from Cleobury-Mortimer, containing 466 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king‘s books at £5. 0. 2½., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Bayton – a parish in Doddingtree hundred, lower division, 6 miles W.S.W. from Bewdley, and 134 from London; containing 86 inhabited houses, on the borders of Shropshire. The church has lately been repaired, and the tower rebuilt at the expense of the late Meysey Wigley, Esq., of Shakenhurst, in this parish. Here are several coal-pits, that supply the adjacent parishes. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Hereford and archdeaconry of Salop; Rev. Thomas Davies, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, the King. Population, 1801, 389 – 1811, 403 – 1821, 466.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Shakenhurst

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Shakenhurst, a hamlet in Bayton parish, Worcester; 1 mile SW of B. village. S. House is the seat of C. Wicksted, Esq.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Shakenhurst, in the parish of Bayton, 8 miles from Bewdley, the residence of Mrs. Wigley.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Parish Records

Birth, Marriage, & Death Records - FamilySearch

Census Records - FamilySearch

Migration Records - FamilySearch

Military Records - FamilySearch

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

Directories

Bayton Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Bayton, Betune, or Baynton, is a Village and Parish 7 miles W. from Bewdley, and 1 ¾ S.E.S. from Cleobury Mortimer, containing a population, in 1851, of 449 inhabitants.
According to the Doomesday Survey, it belonged to Ralph de Todeni; it then descended by the marriage of Alice, sister and heir of Robert Lord Todeni (commonly called Tony), with Guy de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, to their heirs, Earls of Warwick, and so continued till the attainder of Edward Plantagenet, Earl of Warwick (15th Henry VII.) it fell to the Crown. It was afterwards granted to Mr. Walter Walsh, with Abberley.
In this parish is Shakenhurst, or Checenhorst, which formerly had owners who derived their name from it, one of whom, Walter de Shakenhurst, was with Edward II in foreign parts, and did good service, as appears by a charter of pardon of all felonies and trespass, granted to him by that king. The family became extinct after Walter de Shakenhurst, who died without issue, leaving John de Meysey, his nephew, heir. The Meyseys are said to have come from Meysey in Brittany with the Conqueror, who gave them Hampton-meysey, Marston-Meysey, &c., which they held till the time of Richard II, when they were sold. The family of Meysey, after settling in this country, became of considerable note, and their lineal descendants still remain proprietors of Shakenhurst.
The Church, dedicated to St. Barnabas, is a structure of about the thirteenth or fourteenth century, consisting of nave, chancel, western embattled tower, and south porch, which was rebuilt in the year 1819. The chancel has a Norman arch, but the windows are more in the Gothic style. The font is very massive, formed out of solid stone, and of curiously decorated work, and has the appearance of being coeval with the church. Rev. David Davis, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Edward Mytton, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
The Parochial School, for the education of the children of the parish, is principally supported by the lady of C. Wickstead, Esq.
Charities - Mr. Thomas Stokes, late of Broad Meadow, gave £100 to be invested in government security, the proceeds to be given to the poor in bread on Twelfth day; also Mr. John Cook, of the Mill, in this parish, gave £100, which was invested in the purchase of £111 8s 5d, in the Three per Cent. Consolidated Annuities; the produce to pay the minister 10s 6d to preach a sermon on Twelfth day, the remainder to be given in bread to the poor of Bayton who attend divine service on that day, and those who may be indisposed at the time.

DIRECTORY

Davies Rev. David, M.A., Vicar of Mamble and Bayton, Vicarage
Wickstead Charles, Esq., Shakenhurst
Andrews William, carpenter
Blount William, blacksmith
Brown Ann, dress maker
Cook William, farmer, The Mill
Crump James, farmer and maltster, Parsonage
Evans Edwin, wheelwright
Farr John, farmer, Woodside
Hall Elizabeth, victualler, Wheat Sheaf
Hancox William, mason, Clowstop
Hill Robert Caleb, agent to C. Wickstead, Esq., Shakenhurst Farm
Lello William, mason
Malpass Mary, farmer, Plough Stall
Mapp Thomas, farmer, Mayberrys
Millichap William, blacksmith
Mole William, farmer and shop keeper
Mole Joseph, shoe maker, Clowstop
Mytton Edward, farmer, Vicarage Farm
Pearce John, farmer, Norgrove’s End
Preece John, farmer, Tedons
Potter Thos., victualler, Crown, Clowstop
Scott Samuel, farmer, Church House
Simmonds John, cooper, wheelwright, and carpenter
Simmonds William, cooper, Clowstop
Steward George, shoe maker
Stinton Sarah, straw bonnet maker
Wyatt and Aston, coal merchants
Wyer James, farmer, Nineveh
Wyer Wm., shoe maker and shopkeeper
Wyer James, shopkeeper
Wyer Rosannah, dress maker
Post Office - Mr. William Wyer, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Shakenhurst Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

 Wigley Edm. Meysey. Esq

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Hundred: Doddingtree
  • Province: Canterbury