Badsey - Bentley's History and Directory of the borough of Evesham 1840

Badsey is a village and parish, 2¼ miles E. of Evesham, and on the right of the highway from Evesham to Campden: the extent of the parish is 1,802 acres, and it contains 463 inhabitants. The village is well-built, and is the seat of many respectable families, who appear to render every facility for the improvement of the place; near its centre stands the church, a substantial stone edifice, with a square tower, containing six bells, whose chimes are melodious. This church, no doubt, once belonged to the Abbey of Evesham, and is noted for being the burial place of Sir Philip Hobby, to whom Henry VIII. granted the monastery of Evesham after the dissolution, and to whose memory a monument is erected on the N. side of the interior.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford; the present incumbent is the Rev. Charles Phillott, M.A.; the officiating curate is the Rev. T. G. Griffiths; the number of seats are 250; service commences at half-past 1 every alternate Sunday morning, and every alternate Sunday afternoon at half-past 2; and William Ballard is clerk. A little S. of the church stands a silk mill, which gives employment to about 70 of the villagers.

Aldington is a hamlet, forming the N. part of this parish, and contains a small, but very respectable village of the same name. The Manor house is well designed and pleasantly situated, and the country is very fertile; a fruitful stream passes through this parish, and turns several mills; the Imperial railway was intended to pass near Aldington.

Appleby Edward, farmer

Ashwin Richard, Esq., Aldington Manor House

Ballard Mary, dressmaker

Benton Miss Ann

Bloxham Rev. Charles, M.A.

Byrd Thos., farmer, Aldington

Byrd Rev. William, M.A.

Collett William, farmer

Drury Charles, farmer

Gee Thomas, silk-throwster

Gee Wingfield and Son, silk-throwsters

Gibbs Sarah, grocer and baker

Griffiths Rev. Thomas Gilbert, Parsonage House

Jones Mr. John

Jones Joseph, farmer

Keean Thos., miller, Aldington

Laugher Edward, farmer

Oldaker Richard, blacksmith

Procter John, farmer, Aldington

Sheaf S., preparatory school

Sherwood J., farmer, Aldington

Wilson S., farmer, Manor House

Workman B., solicitor, Aldington

Source: Bentley’s history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley’s history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.