Badsey Bentley’s History and Directory of the borough of Evesham 1840

Badsey is a village and parish, 2¼ miles E. of Evesham, and on the right of the highway from Evesham to Campden: the extent of the parish is 1,802 acres, and it contains 463 inhabitants. The village is well-built, and is the seat of many respectable families, who appear to render every facility for the improvement of the place; near its centre stands the church, a substantial stone edifice, with a square tower, containing six bells, whose chimes are melodious. This church, no doubt, once belonged to the Abbey of Evesham, and is noted for being the burial place of Sir Philip Hobby, to whom Henry VIII. granted the monastery of Evesham after the dissolution, and to whose memory a monument is erected on the N. side of the interior.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford; the present incumbent is the Rev. Charles Phillott, M.A.; the officiating curate is the Rev. T. G. Griffiths; the number of seats are 250; service commences at half-past 1 every alternate Sunday morning, and every alternate Sunday afternoon at half-past 2; and William Ballard is clerk. A little S. of the church stands a silk mill, which gives employment to about 70 of the villagers.
Aldington is a hamlet, forming the N. part of this parish, and contains a small, but very respectable village of the same name. The Manor house is well designed and pleasantly situated, and the country is very fertile; a fruitful stream passes through this parish, and turns several mills; the Imperial railway was intended to pass near Aldington.
Appleby Edward, farmer
Ashwin Richard, Esq., Aldington Manor House
Ballard Mary, dressmaker
Benton Miss Ann
Bloxham Rev. Charles, M.A.
Byrd Thos., farmer, Aldington
Byrd Rev. William, M.A.
Collett William, farmer
Drury Charles, farmer
Gee Thomas, silk-throwster
Gee Wingfield and Son, silk-throwsters
Gibbs Sarah, grocer and baker
Griffiths Rev. Thomas Gilbert, Parsonage House
Jones Mr. John
Jones Joseph, farmer
Keean Thos., miller, Aldington
Laugher Edward, farmer
Oldaker Richard, blacksmith
Procter John, farmer, Aldington
Sheaf S., preparatory school
Sherwood J., farmer, Aldington
Wilson S., farmer, Manor House
Workman B., solicitor, Aldington
Source: Bentley’s history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley’s history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.