Alfrick is a chapelry and township in the parish of Suckley, 1 ½ miles S.W. from Leigh Court station, and 2 S.E. from Knightwick station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway, 7 ½ W. of Worcester, and 7 E. of Bromyard; is in the western division of the county, Upper Doddingtree hundred, Martley union and highway district, Suckley polling district, Worcester county court district, petty sessional division, diocese and archdeaconry, and Powick rural deanery. The acreage of the chapelry is 1,665; annual rateable value, £2,556; the soil is loam and clay, producing wheat, barley, beans, and pasture. The Right Hon. Earl Somers, of Eastnor castle, near Ledbury, is lord of the manor. The population in 1861 was 474; in 1871, 434; inhabited houses, 100; families or separate occupiers, 103. The chapel of St. Mary is a small plain edifice, with wooden tower and small spire; it has a nave and chancel, with vestry on the north side. On the south side of the tower is a sun-dial with the inscription, “On this moment hangs eternity.” The earliest register is dated 1656. The living, together with the chapelry of Lulsley, is consolidated with the rectory of Suckley, joint annual value £630, in the patronage of the Crown, and held by the Rev. John Pearson, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford. The Rev. Samuel Sidney Heathcote, B.A., Exeter College, Oxford, is the curate. Divine service is held alternately at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. A new board school (with teacher’s residence attached) has been erected on Clay green from the designs of Ernest A. Day, Esq., architect of Worcester. It accommodates 110 children, and is a handsome structure in the Gothic style, built with brick and Bath stone dressings. The total cost, including fittings, amounted to £1,383. Alfrick Court is the residence of Edward Wallace Evans, Esq.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester, and arrive about 11 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 4.25 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Worcester and Bromyard are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Worcester.
St. Mary’s Church. – Rev. John Pearson, M.A., Rector of Suckley with Alfrick; Rev. Samuel Sidney Heathcote, B.A., Curate; Messrs. Thomas Bullock and Thomas Warner, Churchwardens; Edmund Lewis, Parish Clerk.
Board School (boys and girls), Clay green. – Mrs. Smithard, Mistress.
Carrier to Worcester. – Joseph William Packwood, every Wednesday and Saturday, returning from the Golden Lion, High street, Worcester, at 4 p.m.
Carriers (passing through). – Banner, Davis, and Walker.
Evans Edward Wallace, Esq., Alfrick crt.
Heathcote Rev. Samuel Sidney, B.A. (curate of Alfrick with Lulsley)
Osborne Mrs., Birchin hall
Peake Mr. Thomas, Bewell
Stinton Thos., Esq., Alfrick villa, Clay gn.
Andrews Matthew Henry, farmer and butcher, The Pound house
Berrow T., gamekpr. To E. W. Evans, Esq.
Bevan James, cottage farmer, Norgroves
Bills Benjamin, farmer, New house
Birch Peter, Cherry green
Bruton Mrs., cottage farmer
Bullock Thomas, farmer, Patches farm
Cross Chas., miller, Bridges Stone mill
Cross George, farmer, Catterhall
Dovey Thomas, shopkeeper, &c.
Edwards Wm., carpenter & wheelwright
Higginson Thomas, blacksmith, Long ho.
Jones George, Edward, beer retailer and shopkeeper (Pound House)
Jones Reuben, beer retailer (New Inn)
Lewis Edmund, parish clerk
Lightband John, Swan Inn, and farmer
Packwood Joseph William, farmer and carrier, White house
Pressdee James, farmer, Upper house
Racster Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper
Smithard Mrs., schoolmistress
Stinton Thomas, farmer, Clay green
Stinton Samuel, farmer and rate collector, Crew’s hill
Vorse Edward, tailor
Warner Thomas, farmer, Mill Ham farm
Williams Francis, farmer and hop-grower, Knapp farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.