Alfrick is a chapelry of Suckley Ancient Parish in Worcestershire
Church: St Mary Magdalene.
Parish registers begin: 1656
The village church is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene. It has original sandstone window casings, Dutch stained glass and exposed internal roof beams. On the exterior of its tower is a sundial 
Parishes adjacent to Alfrick
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Alfrick, a township-chapelry in Suckley parish, Worcester; near the river Teme, 7½ miles W of Worcester. It has a post-office under Worcester. Acres, 1,790. Pop., 474. Houses, 99. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Suckley. Charities, £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alfrick, in Suckley parish. P. 434
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Alfrick, a chapelry, in the parish of Suckley, union of Martley, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Worcester and W divisions of the county of Worcester, 7 miles (W by S) from Worcester; containing 434 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north by the river Teme, and consists of 1645 acres; the surface is undulated, and very well wooded and watered. The tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £240; and there is a glebe of 2½ acres, with a property in the chapel yard. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a free school with an endowment of £10 per annum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Alfrick, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Suckley, union of Martley, county of Worcester; 8 miles west by south of Worcester; on a branch of the Teme. Living, a curacy in the archd. and dio. of Worcester, but not in charge, being appended to the rectory of Suckley. There is a free school here, with an endowment of £8 per annum. The other charities connected with this chapelry produce the yearly sum of £6 2s. Pop., in 1801, 396; in 1831, 493. Houses 96. Acres 1,790. A. P. £1,790. Poor rates, in 1837, £210.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Alfrick, a chapelry in the parish of Suckley, upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Worcester, containing 445 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. Here is a free school with an endowment of £10 per annum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Alfrick – a hamlet in the parish of Suckley, hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 7 miles W. from Worcester, containing 83 inhabited houses: the inhabitants have a chapel of their own, which is kept in good repair; they likewise contribute towards the support of the church at Suckley. Population, 1801, 396 – 1811, 404 – 1821, 445.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Alfrick Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Allies William, farmer
Aspree James, farmer
Boswell William, farmer
Caswell Benj. farmer
Collins John, farmer
Davis William, farmer
Davis Catharine, farmer
Gombert Thomas, farmer
Holyhead Thos. farmer
Hopkins John, farmer
Hould William, farmer
Johnson Ann, farmer
Jones William, farmer
Lewis Richard, farmer
Lloyd Thomas, farmer
Meeke John, farmer
Powell John, farmer
Presdee John, farmer
Ropier Thomas, farmer
Smith William, farmer
Somers Joseph, farmer
Staples Thomas, farmer
Starling John, miller
Thomas James, farmer
Trehearne S. farmer
Turner John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Alfrick Littlebury’s Worcestershire Directory 1879
Alfrick is a chapelry and township in the parish of Suckley, 1 ½ miles S.W. from Leigh Court station, and 2 S.E. from Knightwick station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway, 7 ½ W. of Worcester, and 7 E. of Bromyard; is in the western division of the county, Upper Doddingtree hundred, Martley union and highway district, Suckley polling district, Worcester county court district, petty sessional division, diocese and archdeaconry, and Powick rural deanery. The acreage of the chapelry is 1,665; annual rateable value, £2,556; the soil is loam and clay, producing wheat, barley, beans, and pasture. The Right Hon. Earl Somers, of Eastnor castle, near Ledbury, is lord of the manor. The population in 1861 was 474; in 1871, 434; inhabited houses, 100; families or separate occupiers, 103. The chapel of St. Mary is a small plain edifice, with wooden tower and small spire; it has a nave and chancel, with vestry on the north side. On the south side of the tower is a sun-dial with the inscription, “On this moment hangs eternity.” The earliest register is dated 1656. The living, together with the chapelry of Lulsley, is consolidated with the rectory of Suckley, joint annual value £630, in the patronage of the Crown, and held by the Rev. John Pearson, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford. The Rev. Samuel Sidney Heathcote, B.A., Exeter College, Oxford, is the curate. Divine service is held alternately at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. A new board school (with teacher’s residence attached) has been erected on Clay green from the designs of Ernest A. Day, Esq., architect of Worcester. It accommodates 110 children, and is a handsome structure in the Gothic style, built with brick and Bath stone dressings. The total cost, including fittings, amounted to £1,383. Alfrick Court is the residence of Edward Wallace Evans, Esq.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester, and arrive about 11 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 4.25 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Worcester and Bromyard are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Worcester.
St. Mary’s Church. – Rev. John Pearson, M.A., Rector of Suckley with Alfrick; Rev. Samuel Sidney Heathcote, B.A., Curate; Messrs. Thomas Bullock and Thomas Warner, Churchwardens; Edmund Lewis, Parish Clerk.
Board School (boys and girls), Clay green. – Mrs. Smithard, Mistress.
Carrier to Worcester. – Joseph William Packwood, every Wednesday and Saturday, returning from the Golden Lion, High street, Worcester, at 4 p.m.
Carriers (passing through). – Banner, Davis, and Walker.
Evans Edward Wallace, Esq., Alfrick crt.
Heathcote Rev. Samuel Sidney, B.A. (curate of Alfrick with Lulsley)
Osborne Mrs., Birchin hall
Peake Mr. Thomas, Bewell
Stinton Thos., Esq., Alfrick villa, Clay gn.
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Andrews Matthew Henry, farmer and butcher, The Pound house
Berrow T., gamekpr. To E. W. Evans, Esq.
Bevan James, cottage farmer, Norgroves
Bills Benjamin, farmer, New house
Birch Peter, Cherry green
Bruton Mrs., cottage farmer
Bullock Thomas, farmer, Patches farm
Cross Chas., miller, Bridges Stone mill
Cross George, farmer, Catterhall
Dovey Thomas, shopkeeper, &c.
Edwards Wm., carpenter & wheelwright
Higginson Thomas, blacksmith, Long ho.
Jones George, Edward, beer retailer and shopkeeper (Pound House)
Jones Reuben, beer retailer (New Inn)
Lewis Edmund, parish clerk
Lightband John, Swan Inn, and farmer
Packwood Joseph William, farmer and carrier, White house
Pressdee James, farmer, Upper house
Racster Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper
Smithard Mrs., schoolmistress
Stinton Thomas, farmer, Clay green
Stinton Samuel, farmer and rate collector, Crew’s hill
Vorse Edward, tailor
Warner Thomas, farmer, Mill Ham farm
Williams Francis, farmer and hop-grower, Knapp farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Alfrick with Lulsley Littleburys Directory 1905
Distances – 1 ½ miles from Leigh Court Station, 2 from Knightwick Station, 7 ½ W. of Worcester, and 7 E. of Bromyard.
Postal Information – Letters are received through Worcester and are delivered about 6 a.m. Mrs. Lightband, Sub-Postmistress. Box cleared at 7.0 p.m. Telegrams may be sent from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on week-days, and 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Sundays. Money orders from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. The Wall Letter-box, Pound End, is cleared at 6.57 p.m. A Wall Letter-box near Hopton Court is cleared at 6.0 p.m. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Mary’s) – Rev. Richard Nathaniel Kane, M.A., Rector of Suckley with Alfrick and Lulsley: Rev. L. A. Fisher, B.A., Curate; Messrs. Joshua Brooks and George Lewis, Churchwardens; James Band, Parish Clerk.
Council School (For Alfrick and Lulsley) – Lewis Lloyd, Master.
Assistant Overseer – James Taylor.
Carrier To Worcester – Mrs. Packwood on Saturday; stops at the Golden Lion, High Street.
Allies Mrs., Bewell
Berrow Arnold, farmer, Newhouse farm
Benskin Mrs., upper house farm
Brooks Joshua, farmer, Folly
Caswell John, wheelwright and shopkeeper
Coles James, Alvens farm
Cross George, farmer, Catterhall
Dovey Thomas, carpenter
Dovey Thomas, farmer, Norgroves
Edkins Wm., shopkeeper and beer retailer
Fisher Rev. L. A., B.A., curate, St. Mary’s
Higgins Frederick, blacksmith, Clay green
Higginson T., blacksmith & frmr., Long ho.
Holland Mrs. Thurston, Alfrick Court
Homes Edmund, cottage farmer
Jones H., farmer, Yarrington farm
Jones H., New Inn, & frmr., Cherry Orchard
Lewis George, farmer, Crews hill
Lightband Mrs., sub-postmistress
Nicholas John, practical boot and shoe maker. Every description of handsewn boots and shoes made to order. Repairs promptly attended to.
Notley R. & J., millers and farmers.
Packwood Mrs. farmer & carrier, White ho.
Pope J. P., Patches farm; res., Lulsley court
Pullen Jas., farmer & hop grower, Millham
Spencer Mrs. Elizabeth, Swan Inn, & frmr.
Warskitt Albert, Cherry Green nursery. Wreaths and crosses, cut flowers, tomatoes, and maiden hair fern, a speciality.
Williams Francis, farmer and fruit grower, Knapp farm
Wall Letter-box near Knightwick station cleared at 6.15 p.m. Vicar and Curate same as Alfrick. John Powell, Churchwarden.
Burnett John, Ravenshill, stationmaster at Knightwick station, Jubilee cottage
Brown James, Fox & Hounds. Robert Allen’s famous ales, Bass and Guiness’s stout, wines, spirits and cigars. Every accommodation for Cyclists and picnic parties.
Day Mrs. Mary, Ravenshill
Jones Water, baker
Pope J. P., Lulsley court
Powell John, farmer, Upper court farm
Powell Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Hill farm
Stokes Mrs. Mary, Whistlewood house
Turbutt Wm., farmer, Green street
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
County Express - Worcestershire
Worcester Journal - Findmypast
Berrow's Worcester Journal - Newspapers.com
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Allies Edward, Alfrick, Worcester, timber merchant, Aug. 24, 1841.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powick
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury
- Highway District: Martley
- Polling District: Suckley
- County Court District: Worcester
- Petty Sessional Division: Worcester