Alderminster - Bentley's History and Directory of the borough of Evesham 1840

Alderminster is an agricultural village and parish on the London and Birmingham road, and on the Moreton and Stratford Railroad; 6 miles N. from Shipston, and 4½ nearly S. from Stratford-on-Avon. The parish is very pleasant, and contains an area of 3,137 acres, and about 400 inhabitants. The church is in the form of a cross, with the tower (containing 5 bells) rising from the centre, and is situated on the W. side of the village. It was considerably repaired in 1834, at an expense of nearly £200.; and in 1839, a new gallery was added, which cost £95. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. Matthew Carrier Tompson, is the present incumbent. The Church contains seats for 325, of which number 134 are free; service, Sunday forenoon at 11, and afternoon at 3; James Smith is clerk.

Bailey Joseph, farmer, Goldicott

Court Elizabeth, farmer, Burton

Franklin Thomas, tailor

Gardner William, maltster and beerseller

Halford Mr. Thomas

Hiatt Jacob, carpenter

Hone James, farmer, Church-hill

Neal Joseph, boot and shoe maker

Newnham Edward, farmer, Alderminster-farm

Oliver Robert, farmer, Shervington-hall

Prentice William, maltster

Roberts John, blacksmith

Righton Joseph, farmer, Knaven hill

Sarjent John, farmer, Prospect Cottage

Smith Capt., Thomas Gustavus, Goldicott

Steel William, boot and shoe-maker

Thompson Rev. Matthew Carrier, Vicarage

Waitt William, butcher and victualler, Bell

Ward Misses Ann and Catherine

Source: Bentley’s history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley’s history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.