Acton Beauchamp is a scattered village and parish on the borders of Worcestershire from which county it was transferred to Herefordshire by the Acton Beauchamp, Mathon Rural and Stoke Bliss Order, 1897, dated 9th May, 1897, and confirmed by the Provisional Orders Confirmation (No X) Act, 1897. The village is 4 miles south-west from Suckley station on the Worcester and Leominster branch of the Great Western railway, 4½ south-east from Bromyard and 12 west- south-west from Worcester, in the Leominster division, hundred of Upper Doddingtree, Bromyard rural district, county court district and pretty sessional division, rural deanery of Bromyard and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Giles, rebuilt in 1816, is an edifice of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave and plain western tower containing 3 bells 2 of which are of pre-Reformation date: there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory with that of Evesbatch annexed, joint net yearly value £442, including 32 acres of glebe here, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1934 by the Rev. Charles Alfred Markham Evans M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. A very fine view, bounded by the Black Mountains, is obtained from the south-west. At Redmarley is an intermittent spring, rising from a cavity called “Hunger Hole,” and known as the “Roaring Water.” The principal landowners are H. Davies esq. and Messrs. T. J. Godsall, W. Holloway, and J. S. Walker. The soil is loam; subsoil, limestone; cornstone, interstratified with old red sandstone, is met with at Pipping’s Hill. The chief crops are wheat and beans and hops. The area is 1,544 acres; the population in 1931 was 177.
Post & T. Office. Letters through Worcester. Suckley is the nearest M. O. office.
(for TN’s see genial list of Residents at end of book)
Davies H. Wootons farm
Evans Rev. Charles Alfred Markham M.A. (rector), Rectory
Taylor Misses, Green house
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Bemand V. farmer, Crookes Hill
Cross Jas. Wm. shopkpr. & post office
Davies H. farmer & hop grower, Wootons farm. Suckley 11
Godsall Thos. Jn. Farmer & hop grower, The Wood. Suckley 12
Hancocks Jas. Victor, farmer, Sinton’s End
Hill Chas. smallholder, Dawfields
Hill John, farmer, Kidleys
Holloway W. farmer on hop grower, Sevington farm
Morris Jas. Wm. blacksmith
Potter Geo. Essex, frmr. Halfridge fm
Taylor Hy. Fredk. omnibus propr.
Walker John, farmer & hop grower, Church house
Wall Tom Curtis, farmer, Acton ct
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information