Acton Beauchamp is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire, formerly in the county of Worcestershire.
Acton Beauchamp was transferred from Worcestershire to Herefordshire on the 8th May 1897.
Church: St. Giles
The register dates from the year 1539.
Parishes adjacent to Acton Beauchamp
Historical Descriptions of Acton Beauchamp
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Acton Beauchamp, a parish in the district of Bromyard and county of Worcester; 5 miles SE of Bromyard, and 5½ SW by N of Colwall r. station. It has a post-office under Worcester. Acres, 1,529. Real property, £2,026. Pop., 205. Houses, 42. The property belonged anciently to the Beauchamps, but is now much subdivided. There are mineral springs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £320. Patron, Rev. R. Cowpland. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
The British Gazetteer 1852
ACTON-BEAUCHAMP; Worcester, a parish in the Worcester division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Bromyard: 152 miles from London (coach road 122), 4 from Bromyard, 11 from Worcester. Nor. West. Rail, to Birmingham, Droitwich, and Spetchley station, thence 13 miles; or Gt. West. Rail, to Cheltenham and Wadborough station, thence 15 miles: S.W. of Derby, through Birmingham, &c. 81 miles. Money orders issued at Bromyard: London letters delivd. 9½ a.m.: post closes 3½ p.m. The living (St. Giles), a dischd. rectory in the archd. and diocese of Worcester, is valued at £4: pres. net income, £320: patron, Mrs. Cowpland: pres. incumbent, W. Cowpland, 1828: contains 1,600 acres: 43 houses: pop. in 1841, 217: probable pop. in 1849, 249: assd. prop. £1,615: poor rates in 1837, £217. N. 2 m. is Whitehouse, the seat of W. S. Wood, Esq.; E. 2 m. Kingshill Lodge.
Source: The British Gazetteer, Political, Commercial, Ecclesiastical, and Historical: Showing the Distances of Each Place from London and Derby–gentlemen's Seats–populations … &c. Illustrated by a Full Set of County Maps, with All the Railways Accurately Laid Down. Benjamin Clarke 1852; Published (for the proprietors) by H. G. Collins.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Acton-Beauchamp, 10½ miles S.W. Worcester, and 2 miles S. E. Bromyard. P.217
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acton Beauchamp (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Bromyard, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (S. E.) from Bromyard; containing 217 inhabitants. There are by measurement 1524 acres, of which 717 are arable, 570 pasture, 150 woodland, and 82 hop ground, &c.; the surface is very hilly, and the soil strong clay, occasionally degenerating into sterile sand. The parish is surrounded on all sides except the east by the county of Hereford. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £4, and in the patronage of Mrs. Cowpland: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £270, and the glebe consists of 42 acres. There are some mineral springs in the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
ACTON-BEAUCHAMP, a parish in the Worcester division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Bromyard, county of Worcester; 3 miles south-east from Bromyard, and 1 1/2 east of the post-road from Bromyard to Ledbury. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £4; gross income £377. Patron, in 1835, Mrs Cowpland. Pop., in 1801, 214; in 1831, 239. Houses 43. Acres 1,600; of which 130 were under hops in 1837. A. P. £1,615. Poor rates, in 1837, £217.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Acton Beauchamp, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester 4¾ miles (S.E.) from Bromyard, containing 258 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry, and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £4. H. Wrighte, Esq. was patron in 1820. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. Courts leet and baron are occasionally held here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Acton Beauchamp – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 11 miles W.S.W. from Worcester, Worcestershire, and 124 from London, containing 49 inhabited houses, on the borders of Herefordshire. A new church has lately been built at the expense of the inhabitants. It is a rectory; Rev. H. Berry, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, H. Wrighte, Esq. Population, 1801, 214 – 1811, 240 – 1821, 258.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822
Registers at Worcestershire Archives
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Acton Beauchamp Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941
Acton Beauchamp is a scattered village and parish on the borders of Worcestershire from which county it was transferred to Herefordshire by the Acton Beauchamp, Mathon Rural and Stoke Bliss Order, 1897, dated 9th May, 1897, and confirmed by the Provisional Orders Confirmation (No X) Act, 1897. The village is 4 miles south-west from Suckley station on the Worcester and Leominster branch of the Great Western railway, 4 ½ south-east from Bromyard and 12 west- south-west from Worcester, in the Leominster division, hundred of Upper Doddingtree, Bromyard rural district, county court district and pretty sessional division, rural deanery of Bromyard and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Giles, rebuilt in 1816, is an edifice of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave and plain western tower containing 3 bells 2 of which are of pre-Reformation date: there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory with that of Evesbatch annexed, joint net yearly value £442, including 32 acres of glebe here, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1934 by the Rev. Charles Alfred Markham Evans M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. A very fine view, bounded by the Black Mountains, is obtained from the south-west. At Redmarley is an intermittent spring, rising from a cavity called “Hunger Hole,” and known as the “Roaring Water.” The principal landowners are H. Davies esq. and Messrs. T. J. Godsall, W. Holloway, and J. S. Walker. The soil is loam; subsoil, limestone; cornstone, interstratified with old red sandstone, is met with at Pipping’s Hill. The chief crops are wheat and beans and hops. The area is 1,544 acres; the population in 1931 was 177.
Post & T. Office. Letters through Worcester. Suckley is the nearest M. O. office.
(for TN’s see genial list of Residents at end of book)
Davies H. Wootons farm
Evans Rev. Charles Alfred Markham M.A. (rector), Rectory
Taylor Misses, Green house
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Bemand V. farmer, Crookes Hill
Cross Jas. Wm. shopkpr. & post office
* Davies H. farmer & hop grower, Wootons farm. Suckley 11
* Godsall Thos. Jn. Farmer & hop grower, The Wood. Suckley 12
Hancocks Jas. Victor, farmer, Sinton’s End
Hill Chas. smallholder, Dawfields
Hill John, farmer, Kidleys
* Holloway W. farmer on hop grower, Sevington farm
Morris Jas. Wm. blacksmith
Potter Geo. Essex, frmr. Halfridge fm
Taylor Hy. Fredk. omnibus propr.
* Walker John, farmer & hop grower, Church house
* Wall Tom Curtis, farmer, Acton ct
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information
Acton Beauchamp Littlebury’s Worcestershire Directory 1879
Acton Beauchamp is a romantic and beautiful parish on the western border of the county, adjoining Herefordshire, 4 miles S.E. of Bromyard, and 12 W.S.W. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county, Upper Doddingtree hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, Worcester petty sessional division, Suckley polling district, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry, and Powick rural deanery. The population in 1861 was 205, and in 1871, 221; inhabited houses, 45; families or separate occupiers, 53. The area of the parish is 1,518 acres; annual rateable value, £2,181. W. M. Sparrow, Esq., of Wolverhampton, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is heavy land, strong clay, loam, and sandy; hops much cultivated, with wheat, beans, and roots. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is a small plain structure, with some late Norman work and a very low tower; it was rebuilt in 1816. the register commences in 1700. The rectory is valued at £290, with residence and 36 acres of glebe; patron and rector, the Rev. William Epworth Cowpland, B.A., Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1871. The tithes were commuted for £280. the new board school for the united district of Acton Beauchamp and Stanford Bishop has been erected from the designs of Ernest A. Day, Esq., architect, of Worcester, at a cost of £1,050. It was opened May 13th, 1878. Accommodation is provided for 80 children. The beautiful undulating woodland view from The Rectory, right across Herefordshire, especially in the direction of S.W., ending in the range of hills called the “Black Mountains,” is considered most enchanting. At Redmarley farm in this parish is an ancient farmhouse, in the garden of which is a periodical spring, called “The Roaring Water,” which bursts from a cavity called “Hunger Hole.” In the quarries of this parish geologists will find numerous remains of fishes, and at Pippin’s hill is a good exposure of cornstone interstratified with old sandstone. Some mineral springs are said to exist in the parish. In a sequestered dingle, called “Jumper’s Hole,” are marks in the sandstone, to which is attached the legend of St Catherine’s mare and colt.
Postal Regulations. – Thomas Matthews, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester (via Bromyard) about 10.30 a.m.; despatched at 2.25 p.m. Bromyard is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Giles’s). – Rev. William Epworth Cowpland, B.A., Rector; Messrs. Thomas Wall and James Pitt, Churchwardens; George Moore, Parish Clerk.
Board School (boys and girls). – Miss Norah Barker, Mistress.
Acton Beauchamp and Stanford Bishop United District School Board. – Rev. W. E. Cowpland, B.A. (Chairman), Messrs. James Pitt, Charles Allen, John Cook, and James Philpott, Members; Ambrose William Knott, Esq., solicitor, 14 Foregate street, Worcester, Clerk.
Cowpland Rev. William Epworth, B.A., (patron and rector), The Rectory
Partridge Mr. James
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Allen Chas., farmer & hop gr., Church ho.
Chambers Jph., fmr. & hop grwr., Acton crt.
Garbett William, wheelwright
Green Geo., farmer & hop grwr., Cruix hill
Grocott George, grocer, provision dealer, and pig butcher
Hodges James, farmer, Kedley’s
Jinks John, cottage farmer, Dawfield
Layson Mr., frmer. & hop gr., Redmarley fm.
Matthews Thos., shopkpr. & sub-postmr.
Moore George, parish clerk
Morris James, blacksmith & agricultural implement maker
Orgee Richard, farmer, Halfridge farm
Partridge Jas., jun., carpenter & builder
Perkins William, wheelwright, Acton gn.
Pitt Jas., farmer & hop-grower, Sevington
Richardson George, miller, farmer, and fruiterer, Acton mill
Taylor James, farmer, freeholder, and assistant overseer for the parishes of Stanford and Suckley, Green house
Turner William, farmer, Sinton’s end
Wall Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Wooton’s farm
Williams Henry, wheelwright, Pippin hill
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Acton Beauchamp Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Acton Beauchamp is a small, scattered parish, on the borders of Herefordshire, about 4 miles from Bromyard, and 12 from Worcester, containing in 1851 a population of 206 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Giles, is a small, plain structure, in the late Norman style of architecture, with low tower. It contains nave and chancel, possessing no architectural features requiring any comment. The living is a Rectory, in the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Worcester. Rev. William Humphries, Rector; Mr. William Hall, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Walton Mr. John
Humphries Rev. William, Rector, Rectory
Banford Samuel, miller
Birchley John, farmer
Brown Charles, farmer, Sevington
Elcocks Thomas, farmer
Garbett William, wheelwright
Hall William, Parish Clerk
Hodges James, blacksmith
Hodges Michael, farmer
Long John, farmer
Matthews John, shopkeeper
Morris James, farmer
Orgee Richard, farmer
Partridge James, carpenter and shopkeeper
Sanford Susan, farmer
Seaman Charles A., farmer, Church House
Turner William, farmer
Wall William, farmer
Watton John, timber dealer
Went Joseph, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Acton Beauchamp Bentley's History and Directory of the Borough of Evesham 1840
Acton Beauchamp is a parish surrounded on three sides by Herefordshire, and is in the upper division of Doddingtree hundred, the church being in the N. W. part of the parish, 12½ miles W. of Worcester. The surface is hilly, and presents many fine scenes of wood and dale; the living is a rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. W. Coupland, M.A.; the church is a neat structure, re-built by subscription in 1815, and will seat about 130; service, Sunday forenoon at 11, and afternoon at 3; James Griffiths is parish clerk; and a Sunday school is taught in connection with the church. Area of the parish 800 acres, population 160.
Beard Elizabeth, farmer
Clinton George, cooper, Hydes
Coupland Rev. William, M.A., Rectory House
Davis John, wheelwright
Easthope William, carrier
Elcox Edward, farmer
Garbett William, wheelwright
Griffiths James, parish clerk
Hall Mary, farmer
Heming John Postans, Esq., Church House
Hodges James, farmer
Jordan John, farmer
Loton Edward, farmer
Meredith Thomas, farmer
Partridge James, shopkeeper and carpenter
Pudge Sarah, farmer
Tehearn Samuel, farmer
Walton John, carpenter
Watkins John, blacksmith
Watkins Joseph, blacksmith and beerseller
To WORCESTER; William Easthope, Saturday.
Source: Bentley's history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley's history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.
Acton Beauchamp Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Acton Beauchamp, 4 miles from Bromyard, containing 42 houses, and 214 inhabitants.
Berrey Rev. H
Church Thomas, farmer
Davis George, farmer
Edwards James, farmer
Elcox Edward, farmer
Hall Richard, farmer
Heming Richard, farmer
Heming Mary, farmer
Heming J. P. farmer
Hill Joseph, farmer
Lloyd Thomas, farmer
Loton Thomas, farmer
Racster John, farmer
Walton John, farmer
Wood Thomas, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Berrow's Worcester Journal - Newspapers.com
County Express - Worcestershire
Worcester Journal - Findmypast
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Bromyard
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Bromyard
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury