Abberton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Abberton is a small village in Worcestershire, England. In the 1850s, the village had 80 inhabitants, one fourth of this was the local priest's 19 children. In 1894, the town had a population of 95 and an area of 999 acres (4.04 km2). The village is mentioned in the Cartularium saxonicum in 972 as Eadbrihyincgtun, and is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086-7 as Edbretintune and as Edbritone, when it was a Berewick, an outlying estate, held by the Church of St Mary of Pershore. The principal house in the village is Abberton Hall.
Church: St. Edburga
The parish register begins with 1661.
A school board for the united district of Abberton, Flyford, Naunton, Kington, Dormstone, and North Piddle, was formed October 28th, 1874, and a school at Flyford was opened in March 1877.
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist.
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Abberton
- Historical Descriptions of Abberton
- The Little Guides 1939
- The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
- The National Gazetteer 1868
- A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
- The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
- A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
- A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
- Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
- A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
- Parish Records
- Useful Websites
Parishes adjacent to Abberton
Historical Descriptions of Abberton
The Little Guides 1939
Abberton (4m. NW. Pershore stn.). Old church, chiefly 13th cent., pulled down 1881; new one (St. Eadburh), with chancel, nave, S. porch, tower and spire in 13th cent style, erected on same site. Chalice-shaped font, 12th cent., with band of chevron ornament. Ancient church chest.
Source: The Little Guides, Worcestershire by F. T. S. Houghton. Methuen & Co. Ltd. London. Second edition. 1939.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Abberton, a parish in Pershore district, Worcester, on the river Piddle, 3 miles SSW of Inkberrow, and 4 NNE of Pershore r. station. Post-town, Inkberrow under Bromsgrove. Acres, 1,001. Real property, £1,337. Pop., 82. Houses, 17. The property is all in one estate. There are saline springs, similar to the waters of Cheltenham. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £161. Patron, W. Laslett, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The National Gazetteer 1868
Abberton, a par. in the upper div. of the hund. and union of Pershore, in the co. of Worcester, near Bromsgrove. The living is a discharged rect. in the dioc. of Worcester, val. £161, in. the patron, of W. Laslett. Esq. There is a mineral spring, the water of which is tonic and purgative, and is said to be little inferior to that of Epsom.
Source: The National Gazetteer: a Topographical Dictionary of the British Islands compiled from the latest and best sources and illustrated with a complete county atlas and numerous maps. Vol. 1. Virtue & Co. London. 1868.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Abberton, a parish, in the union, and Upper division of the hundred of Pershore, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 7 miles (N.E. by N.) from Pershore; containing 81 inhabitants. This parish, bounded on the south by a branch of the river Piddle, comprises 990 acres, of which nearly one-half is fine pasture land, much esteemed for its dairy produce. The hall is a large structure, commanding a beautiful panoramic view of the eastern part of the county. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5 8. 1½., and in the patronage of the Sheldon family; net income, £161. Here is a mineral spring, the water of which is bitter and cathartic, being somewhat similar to that at Cheltenham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abberton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. and union of Pershore, Worcestershire; 6 miles north-east of Pershore; on a branch of the Avon. — Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £5 8s. 1½d.; gross income £161. Patrons, in 1835, the Sheldon family, who have long held the manor. Pop., in 1801, 86; in 1831, 90. Houses 17. Acres 1,050. A. P. £1,407. Poor rates, in 1837, £68.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Abberton, co. Worcester.
P. T. Pershore (103) 2 m. Pop. 82.
A parish in the hundred of Pershore; living a dis. rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 5l. 8s. 1½d; ann. val. P. R. 119l.; patron [1829) Mrs. Sheldon. This parish contains medicinal springs of the nature of those at Cheltenham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Abberton, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Pershore, county of Worcester, 7 miles (N.E. by N.) from Pershore, containing 82 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry, and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £5. 8. 1½., and endowed with £200 royal bounty. Mrs. Sheldon was patroness in 1808. Here is a mineral spring, the water of which is bitter and cathartic, similar to that at Cheltenham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Abberton – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 8 miles E.S.E. from Worcester, and 105 from London; containing 13 inhabited houses. This place is noted for having a medicinal spring, yielding a bitter and cathartic water, similar to that at Cheltenham. The living is a rectory; Rev. E. Herbert, incumbent; instituted 1808; patroness, Mrs. Sheldon. Population, 1801, 86 – 1811, 88 – 1821, 82.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
Abberton, a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division Worcester, 2 miles from Pershore, 7 from Worcester, and 105 from London; containing 15 houses and 86 inhabitants; is noted for a bitter purging mineral water. The living is a rectory, value 5l. 8s. 1d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Littlebury’s Directory 1879
Abberton is a small parish and pleasant village, situate on the road between Worcester and Stratford-on-Avon, being 11 miles E. of Worcester, 8 S.W. of Alcester, and 6 N. of Pershore; it is in the eastern division of the county, Pershore hundred, union, petty sessional division, and county court district, Inkberrow polling district, Upton Snodsbury highway district. Wheat, barley, beans, and roots are the main produce of the soil, which is sand and clay, with quarries of sandstone; limestone and coal are also supposed to exist, and there are mineral springs, the waters of which, bitter and cathartic, containing steel mixed with salt, are supposed to be little inferior to those of Epsom or Cheltenham. The area of the parish is 1,001 acres; annual rateable value, £1,341. the population in 1861 was 82; in 1871, 99; inhabited houses, 21; families or separate occupiers, 22. Formerly the parish belonged to Pershore monastery, and at the Dissolution it fell into the hands of the Sheldons, and ancient family of this county and Warwickshire, who resided at the manor-house till 1840, when it became the property of William Laslett, Esq., who has made it his principal residence from that time to the present. Mr. Laslett for many years represented the city of Worcester in Parliament. He is lord of the manor and owner of the parish of Abberton, as also part of the adjoining parishes of Bishampton, Kington, Flyford, Dormstone, Naunton Beauchamp, North Piddle, and Grafton. He has also large landed possession in Herefordshire and Gloucestershire, and is lord of the manor of Bacton in the former county, and patron of the livings of Abberton, Flyford, Kington, Dormstone, Hinton, and Bacton. The church, chiefly of the Early English and Perpendicular styles, has two bells and a Norman font. The parish register begins with 1661. The living is a rectory; the tithes are commuted at £174, and there are 2 ½ acres of glebe. The rector is the Rev. Henry J. Knight, B.A., of Queen’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1862, and resides at Flyford Flavell rectory. There are 2 acres of land in Flyford, the rental of which is applied to repairing the church of Abberton. W. Laslett, Esq., gives £5 yearly to the poor, and lets small allotments of land for their benefit. A school board for the united district of Abberton, Flyford, Naunton, Kington, Dormstone, and North Piddle, was formed October 28th, 1874, and the newly-erected school at Flyford was opened in March 1877. In addition to the numerous charitable gifts which, with a magnificence which is an honour to the age, Mr. Laslett has bestowed upon the city of Worcester, he has recently conveyed to trustees a landed states of 2,200 acres at Hinton-on-the-Green, near Evesham, but in Gloucestershire, the revenues to be applied to charitable uses. He has also directed that a sum not exceeding £1,500 shall be expended in restoring or rebuilding the parish church of Abberton. Abberton Hall, the seat of William Laslett, Esq., J.P., over looks a fine park, and commands an extensive view of the Bredon Hills, Lench woods, and the vale of Evesham.
Postal Regulations. – Letters arrive from Pershore about 10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.25 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church. – Rev. Henry J. Knight, B.A., Rector; Mr. Richard Henry Tomlinson, Churchwarden; George Roberts, Sexton.
Abberton United District School Board. – William Laslett, Esq., Chairman; John Lloyd Bozward, Esq., The Cedars, Henwick, Worcester, Clerk.
Carriers to Worcester. – Atkins on Saturdays.
Laslett William, Esq. (J.P. for Worcestershire, and for the city of Worcester; barrister of the Inner Temple), Abberton hall
Agricultural & Commercial
Bluck George, cottage farmer
Brooks Charles, farmer, The Ketches
Farley Timothy, miller, Abberton mill
Horne Joseph, farmer
Niblet Mrs., carpenter and shopkeeper
Purser Jonathan, farmer, Lower farm
Roberts George, parish sexton
Tomlinson Richard Hy., farmer, churchwarden, and waywarden, Manor farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Abberton is a small village and parish, situated about 9 miles E. of Worcester, and 6 N. from Pershore, containing in 1851 a population of 80 inhabitants.
The village, which lies on an eminence, is one of the most pleasantly situated in the neighbourhood, commanding very extensive views of the Bredon Hills, the Vale of Evesham, the Lench Woods and the surrounding country. At the time of the dissolution of religious houses, Abberton came into the possession of the Sheldon family, who held it till it was purchased by William Laslett, Esq., Member for Worcester, who resides at the Hall.
The Church is a small, ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, and small tower, and is supposed to be of twelfth century. The style is early English. Some of the windows are in the perpendicular style, but the chancel east window is more modern. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of William Laslett, Esq. Rev. Francis Best, B.A., Rector; Mr. Samuel Tidmarsh, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Laslett William, Esq., M.P., Abberton Hall
Badger George, farmer, Lower Farm
Farley Timothy, miller, Abberton Mill
Holmes James, Farmer
Perks George, farmer, Manor Farm
Purser Jonathan, farmer
Tidmarsh Samuel, Parish Clerk
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Bentley's History and Directory of the borough of Evesham 1840
Abberton is a parish 8 miles E. of Worcester, 5 miles N.E. from Pershore, and 105 from London; containing 958 acres; annual value, £1,020, and population 102. This place is noted for having a medicinal spring, yielding a bitter and cathartic water; and it appears from an analysis by an eminent physician in 1835, that an imperial gallon contained 297 grains of choloride of sodium, 176 grains of sulphate of lime, and a little magnesia.
The church is an ancient stone edifice, seats 80 persons, is very neat, and was thoroughly repaired in 1839, at an expense of £70., voluntarily subscribed by the Patron, Rector, Churchwardens, &c. The E. window is of beautiful stained glass, and in the chancel are two good monuments to the memory of the Sheldons. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of S. L. Sheldon, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Francis Best, B.A. One service each Sunday, morning at 11, and afternoon at 3 alternately; and S. Tidmarsh, is clerk. The Manorhouse, the seat of S. L. Sheldon, Esq., is situated on an eminence, and has a charming and extensive view of the beautiful vale of Evesham.
Checketts Giles, farmer
Gibbs Joseph, farmer
Sheldon Samuel Lesingham, Esq.
Tidmarsh Samuel, parish-clerk
Vincent Thomas, farmer
Willis William, miller
Source: Bentley's history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley's history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.
Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Abberton, 6 miles from Alcester, containing 15 houses and 86 inhabitants, is remarkable for having a spring of mineral water which contains steel mixed with salt, said to be equal in virtue to those at Epsom, Surrey.
Andrews Thomas, farmer
Checketts Giles, farmer
Millward William, farmer
Noon Sarah, farmer
Willis William, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Berrow's Worcester Journal - Newspapers.com
County Express - Worcestershire
Worcester Journal - Findmypast
Evesham Standard & West Midland Observer
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty sessional division: Pershore
- County Court District: Pershore
- Polling District: Inkberrow
- Highway District: Upton Snodsbury