Wylye is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Deptford.
Alternative names: Wiley, Wily
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1581
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WYLYE, or Wiley, a parish, with W. village and Deptford tything, in Wilton district, Wilts; on the river Wiley at Wiley r. station, 7¼ miles NW by W of Wilton. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 2,279. Rated property, £3,203. Pop., 489. Houses, 118. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. An inn is at Deptford; and there are extensive ancient entrenchments, called Badbury Ring and Yarnbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £492. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was rebuilt in 1844. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Wilton
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Wylye
- Poor Law Union: Wilton
- Hundred: Branch and Dole
- Province: Canterbury