Wroughton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Westlecott, Salthrop, Overtown, Westlecoate, and Elcombe.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Calvinist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WROUGHTON, a parish, with four tythings, in Highworth district, Wilts; 3¼ miles SSW of Swindon r. station. It has a post-office under Swindon. Acres, 4,546. Rated property, £11,202. Pop., 1,721. Houses, 373. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester and W. W. Codrington, Esq. W. House and Salthrop Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £160. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is of the 11th century and good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £26.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Bewley Bryan, Wroughton, Wiltshire, corn dealer, Oct. 2, 1832.
Land, Property and Manors
Poorhouses & Poor Law
Out relief from the board of guardians’ minutes of Highworth & Swindon Union, 1842-1879 Author: Hurley, Beryl; Hassell, Margory; Highworth and Swindon Union (Wiltshire); Wiltshire Family History Society
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Highworth
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Cricklade
- Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon
- Hundred: Elstub and Everleigh
- Province: Canterbury