Worton is a chapelry of Potterne Ancient Parish in Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Marston.
Alternative names: Worton and Marston
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1841
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1841
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Devizes St John the Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WORTON, a tything and a chapelry in Potterne parish, Wilts. The tything lies 3 miles SSW of Devizes r. station, and has a post-office under Devizes. Real property, £3,311. Pop., 401. Houses, 82. The chapelry includes Marston tything, and was constituted in 1851. Pop., 591. Houses, 123. The property is much subdivided The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £137. Patron, the Vicar of Potterne. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Land, Property and Manors
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Devizes
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Salisbury (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Potterne
- Poor Law Union: Devizes
- Hundred: Potterne and Cannings
- Province: Canterbury