West Grimstead is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire. Plaitford is a chapelry of West Grimstead.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1717
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRIMSTEAD (WEST), a parish in Alderbury district, Wilts; on the Bishopstoke and Salisbury railway, near Dean r. station, and 4½ miles SE by E of Salisbury. Post town, Alderbury, under Salisbury. Acres, 1,483. Real property, with Alderbury and Whaddon, £4,270. Rated property of W. G. alone, £910. Pop., 251. house, 51. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; and, till 1866, was united with Plaitford. Value, £284. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is old, but good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Alderbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Amesbury
- Poor Law Union: Alderbury
- Hundred: Alderbury
- Province: Canterbury